Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 18:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A major film studio announced the release date of a movie

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 1300
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 18:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

35% (02:31) correct 65% (01:20) wrong based on 84 sessions
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

(1) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
(2)Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
(3)The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
(4)The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
(5)Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 1

Re: major film studio [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 01:54
2
This post received
KUDOS
I chose D as the answer . My explanation

C - This one actually supports the soundness of the plan. If the author has sold the production rights , it means that there is still some sort of demand for the novel . There is a term called "anticipated success" in the sentence which tells us that movie would be a success ( we must go by the validity of the sentence ) which could rekindle the interest in the novel among the audience. Hence this point supports the soundness of the publisher's plan

D - The actress has discussed her love for the novel in an interview - Does it mean that the audience will fall for the novel ? what if the actress is least popular or a new face and her opinion is of less importance to the people . Well this is just an assumption but atleast we can tell that this point is not going to add steel to the soundness of the plan. There is a missing point here , it is not said anywhere that the actress is a reason for the film's anticipated success . That point could have made this more interesting .


So IMO D is the answer . The actress has nothing to do with the success of the movie and will not aid the publisher's plan either .
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1048
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 277 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 04:14
1
This post received
KUDOS
Another 3

dwivedys wrote:
Agree with the choice 3.

Can anybody tell me if the GMATCLUB Verbal tests are good? Is it worth it?


The math challenges are excellent :)

no idea about the verbal tests though
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Posts: 38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 12:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry for bringing this up, but for the folks who are still still studying and picked 'C', their choice is incorrect.(according to the answers and I somewhat agree.) The question asks which of the following does not support the publisher's goal. This answer choice should strengthen the goal or may be irrelevant, and in this case its irrelevant.

The correct answer is 'D'.

See below.

'C' explanation:- The fact that the publisher has already received a form of profit from the link of novel and movie supports the soundness of the plan.
'D' Explanation:- Although the actress’s high opinion of the novel may add interest in the eyes of the public, it has no direct bearing on the soundness of the publisher’s plan.

Cheers,
Sumi
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2009
Posts: 852
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 182 [1] , given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: major film studio [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 23:58
1
This post received
KUDOS
C it is.
_________________

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 241 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: major film studio [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 01:31
1
This post received
KUDOS
I´m afraid is not C:

The fact that the publisher has already received a form of profit from the link of novel and movie supports the soundness of the plan.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2009
Posts: 182
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 5

Re: major film studio [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 01:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
noboru wrote:
I´m afraid is not C:

The fact that the publisher has already received a form of profit from the link of novel and movie supports the soundness of the plan.



What else can be the answer other than C? Receiving money for production right does not has to do anything with re releasing the book. I should be C.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Sep 2008
Posts: 124
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 18:21
3
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 840
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 22:23
yeah, agree with C...I mean 3
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2008
Posts: 196
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 00:57
C for me. That payment has no relevance for a future success
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1474
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 03:37
Agree with the choice 3.

Can anybody tell me if the GMATCLUB Verbal tests are good? Is it worth it?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 169
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 12:01
ritula wrote:
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

(1) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
(2)Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
(3)The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
(4)The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
(5)Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.



i also agree with C
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 1300
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 21:29
Oh My God! I didnt see EXCEPT in the question and was wondering all the time how cld this option help? This shows one should be very carefully in forst understanding wht z being asked.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1579
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 01:24
sumidi wrote:
Sorry for bringing this up, but for the folks who are still still studying and picked 'C', their choice is incorrect.(according to the answers and I somewhat agree.) The question asks which of the following does not support the publisher's goal. This answer choice should strengthen the goal or may be irrelevant, and in this case its irrelevant.

The correct answer is 'D'.

See below.

'C' explanation:- The fact that the publisher has already received a form of profit from the link of novel and movie supports the soundness of the plan.
'D' Explanation:- Although the actress’s high opinion of the novel may add interest in the eyes of the public, it has no direct bearing on the soundness of the publisher’s plan.

Cheers,
Sumi


What is the source of your answer and explanation? D seems to be supporting the publisher's plan as it indicates some sort of campaigning for the book. C has no bearing on the positive or negative aspect of the publisher's plan.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2007
Posts: 793
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 12:43
Answer D

Actress interview is not part of the plan
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 558
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 21:37
OA must be C

Last edited by reply2spg on 28 Oct 2008, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 1300
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 01:25
OA is D. I have edited my post. Earlier by mistake i had written C.

Last edited by ritula on 28 Oct 2008, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2008
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 19:01
OA is D.

This question is part of V01 and I just took it. I have no idea why OA is D. I'm unable to understand the explanation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Posts: 296
Location: Bangalore, India
Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 19:41
I would say C as well, is the OA C or D?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 997
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 07:22
The keyword in this question is the "soundness" of the plan.

If you read it too quickly, it's most likely you would have missed the word.

In D) it doesn't support the soundness of the plan.

OA is D.
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2008, 07:22
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 A major film studio announced the release date of a movie Bluelagoon 9 06 May 2012, 02:22
1 A major film studio announced the release date of a movie nitesh108 17 06 Dec 2010, 13:39
1 A major film studio announced the release date of a movie TehJay 6 31 Oct 2010, 12:49
4 A major film studio announced the release date of a movie zest4mba 26 08 Aug 2010, 19:34
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie ssandeepan 12 16 Sep 2008, 17:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A major film studio announced the release date of a movie

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 63 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.