Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A major impediment to wide acceptance of electric vehicles

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

A major impediment to wide acceptance of electric vehicles [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2004, 04:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

77% (02:34) correct 23% (01:14) wrong based on 51 sessions
A major impediment to wide acceptance of electric vehicles even on the part of people who use their cars almost exclusively for commuting is the inability to use their electric vehicles for occasional extended trips. In an attempt to make purchasing electric vehicles more attractive to coomuters, one electric vehilcle producer is planning to offer customers three days free rental of a conventional car for every 1,000 miles that they drive their electric vehicle.

Which of the following, if thrue, most theatens the plan's prospects for success?

A. Many electric vehicles that are used for commercial purposes are not needed for extended trips.

B. Because a majority of commuters drive at least 100 miles per week, the cost of the producer of making good the offer would add considerably to the already high price of electric vehicles.

C. The relatively long time it takes to recharge the battery of an electric vehicle can easily be fitted into the regular patterns of car use characteristic of commuters.

D. Although electric vehicles are essentially emmission- free in actual use, generating the electricity necessary for charging an electric vehicle's battery can burden the environment.

E. Some family vehicles are used primarily not for commuting but for making short local trips, such as to do errands.

Let's get it right!!!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2004, 10:49
My ans is B.

Offering free rentals would drive up the price of the electric cars which can become another impediment to the acceptance of eletric cars.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2004, 08:49
This post received
KUDOS
All of you are right. OA is B. Thanks for your explanations :)

Let's get it right!!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: CR Electric Vehicles [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 12:23
I ruled out B thinking people already arent buying the electric cars so rise in price would not really matter to them..

can anyone suggest why is A wrong?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross '15, Duke '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR Electric Vehicles [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 13:12
DeeptiM wrote:
I ruled out B thinking people already arent buying the electric cars so rise in price would not really matter to them..

A talks only about commercial electric vehicles. the passage talks about electric cars that are used for commuting and such - so primarily for personal use not commercial. So A is irrelevant.
3 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 932 [3] , given: 376

Re: CR Electric Vehicles [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 13:14
This post received
KUDOS
DeeptiM wrote:

Plan: Give out free rental of usual cars for every 1000 miles of electric cars usage; maybe because people can make extended trip using the normal cars. It makes the offer attractive for users who were rejecting to buy an electric car just because they could not make extended trips. This plan should have definitely increased the sales, according to the strategist.

So, what could be wrong with the plan that may rule out its adaptation by the company?

B. Because a majority of commuters drive at least 100 miles per week, the cost of the producer of making good the offer would add considerably to the already high price of electric vehicles.

I find this sentence convoluted. Let's break it:

Because a majority of commuters drive at least 100 miles per week: So, approximately every 10 weeks, they become eligible for a free rental. Okay so far. This free rental is borne by the producer of the car.

Now,
"the cost of the producer of making good the offer would add considerably to the already high price of electric vehicles."
That's something additional that we see. It says that the producer will increase the electric car price because it's giving the offer. Bad question, because the plan should have mentioned this in the passage.

Anyway, if it's true that electric car will become costlier, then another factor comes into picture. Money; something although not mentioned in the passage, but can be a good factor to fail the plan. B is the best of the lot.

So, as per B, the plan takes care of issue in the passage, but gives rise to another perhaps more concerning issue.

A. Many electric vehicles that are used for commercial purposes are not needed for extended trips.
This is a fact that doesn't concern the discussion. We're dealing with an issue where purchasers are drifting away from electric car because they can't use it for occasional extended travel. And here, this pitiful A is telling us about SOME electric cars that are not needed for extended trips. Neither the author of the passage nor should we be concerned about this. Simply: Out of scope.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 87

Re: CR Electric Vehicles [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 02:08
fluke wrote:
DeeptiM wrote:

Plan: Give out free rental of usual cars for every 1000 miles of electric cars usage; maybe because people can make extended trip using the normal cars. It makes the offer attractive for users who were rejecting to buy an electric car just because they could not make extended trips. This plan should have definitely increased the sales, according to the strategist.

So, what could be wrong with the plan that may rule out its adaptation by the company?

I find this sentence convoluted. Let's break it:

Because a majority of commuters drive at least 100 miles per week: So, approximately every 10 weeks, they become eligible for a free rental. Okay so far. This free rental is borne by the producer of the car.

Now,
"the cost of the producer of making good the offer would add considerably to the already high price of electric vehicles."
That's something additional that we see. It says that the producer will increase the electric car price because it's giving the offer. Bad question, because the plan should have mentioned this in the passage.

Anyway, if it's true that electric car will become costlier, then another factor comes into picture. Money; something although not mentioned in the passage, but can be a good factor to fail the plan. B is the best of the lot.

So, as per B, the plan takes care of issue in the passage, but gives rise to another perhaps more concerning issue.

This is a fact that doesn't concern the discussion. We're dealing with an issue where purchasers are drifting away from electric car because they can't use it for occasional extended travel. And here, this pitiful A is telling us about SOME electric cars that are not needed for extended trips. Neither the author of the passage nor should we be concerned about this. Simply: Out of scope.

Hi Fluke ,

I am a little confused about option A.

First lets begin with the conclusion. The conclusion is that people avoid buying electric cars since they cant use it for extended trips.

A states that => Many electric vehicles that are used for commercial purposes are not needed for extended trips.

If people dont need electric cars for extended trips but just for commercial purposes than isnt the conclusion is weakened ?
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 932 [1] , given: 376

Re: CR Electric Vehicles [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 03:20
This post received
KUDOS
siddhans wrote:
Hi Fluke,

I am a little confused about option A.

First lets begin with the conclusion. The conclusion is that people avoid buying electric cars since they cant use it for extended trips.

A states that => Many electric vehicles that are used for commercial purposes are not needed for extended trips.

If people dont need electric cars for extended trips but just for commercial purposes than isnt the conclusion is weakened ?

Your conclusion is correct AND you think "A" weakens the argument by attacking the premise.

Electric CAR is a subset of Electric VEHICLES; they are not same. One is a part of another.

Many electric vehicles MAY JUST NOT include the electric cars at all.

Even if we change vehicles to cars.
Many electric CARS that are USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES are not needed for extended trips.

See this:
A major IMPEDIMENT to wide acceptance of electric vehicles even on the part of PEOPLE WHO USE THEIR CARS almost exclusively FOR COMMUTING is the inability to use their electric vehicles for occasional extended trips.

The premise talks about the people who use CARS for commuting; Statement A talks about the CARS used for commercial purposes. Two things are NOT talking about the same thing. Thus, OUT OF SCOPE.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 16

Re: CR Electric Vehicles [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 02:42
I am with B

But why not A?

can anyone explain in detail....because in the passage they have also mentioned electrical vehicles

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 48

Re: A major impediment to wide acceptance of electric vehicles [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 03:04
can someone explain why no one was tempted to think of option E?
If people use their vehicles for small errands, they would not cover the required no of miles to avail the producer's offer.

Live Life the Way YOU Love It !! :)

GmatPrep1 [10/09/2012] : 650 (Q42;V38) - need to make lesser silly mistakes.
MGMAT 1 [11/09/2012] : 640 (Q44;V34) - need to improve quant pacing and overcome verbal fatigue.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A major impediment to wide acceptance of electric vehicles [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 04:09
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: A major impediment to wide acceptance of electric vehicles   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2013, 04:09