Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 17:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A major network news organization experienced a drop in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1041

Kudos [?]: 4547 [0], given: 162

Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 20:28
Expert's post
DelSingh wrote:
If you were stuck between A vs D, here's my reasoning:

(D) This was not the first time that this network news organization has aired a controversial report on the economy that has inspired viewers to complain to the network.

You have to ask yourself: If they lost viewership before, why in the world would they put out a controversial report again. Even the if the report was put out with intent, you have to consider the question stem - it asks "which MOST strongly supports the network's position" answer choice A beats D.

(A) The other major network news organizations reported similar reductions in viewership during the same week. (correct)

This is much stronger than D because it shows that there was another reason as to why viewership dropped. There was an another occurrence.

Do realize though, if A wasn't an option D would be a good choice.

Actually, (D) shouldn't be considered at all. Let me discuss why.

Argument:
A network aired a controversial report.
It received many complaints about the report.
It experienced a drop in viewership in the following week.
The network maintains that negative reactions to the report had nothing to do with its loss of viewers.

We need to strengthen that the report had nothing to do with loss of viewers.

(D) This was not the first time that this network news organization has aired a controversial report on the economy that has inspired viewers to complain to the network.

So we know now that they have aired controversial reports before and got complaints. First of all, (D) doesn't tell us that there was no loss of viewers when they aired controversial reports in the past. If there was loss of viewers in the past too, then the network's claim is not strengthened - if anything, it is weakened a little. Even if there was no loss of viewers in the past, the network's claim still doesn't get strengthened much because perhaps this time, the report was way beyond the tolerance level of people - we don't know. Remember, past doesn't predict the future accurately and the future doesn't need to mirror the past. Hence, more often than not, past events will not provide much support to the future events. But we only have the past as reference to what will happen in the future so sometimes we base our hypothesis on the past.

On the other hand, option (A) gives an alternative reason for the drop - some outside factor which is responsible for the viewership drop of many channels. This strengthens the network's position that the report was not responsible for the drop.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 00:10
My explanation to the causality is that:

Suppose we have the causal reasoning i.e. - X causes Y.

The option D is wrong because it only talks about X and not Y at all.

Any answer choice that talks only about X or Y and the premises are linked, then that answer choice cannot be the answer choice. It cannot affect the argument at all.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 04:10
I have another view regarding choice B:

If those who registered complaints are regular viewers, loss in viewers might not be due to negative actions COZ regular viewers are those who won't easily quit viewing after some complaints.

Why am I wrong?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 07:01
This post received
KUDOS
This question is based on CAUSE and EFFECT relationship.

Here CAUSE-> Controversial Program and EFFECT-> Decrease in viewership.

In Answer option A, are we not trying to define a alternate cause, which is the reason for the effect(Decrease in viewership).

I mean we are providing an alternate/different cause for the effect, which we are not suppose to do for the strengthen questions.(We should eliminate any alternate causes for the stated effect for Strengthen Questions).

Could someone please explain on this line?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 21

Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2014, 09:20
How can we tell that in A, the other networks did NOT air such controversial material? Is that not inferred? Meaning, if it was newsworthy information, wouldn't every network cover it?
Expert Post

Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2014, 20:21
Expert's post
russ9 wrote:
How can we tell that in A, the other networks did NOT air such controversial material? Is that not inferred? Meaning, if it was newsworthy information, wouldn't every network cover it?

It is not given that anyone other than this network aired a controversial report. Every network has its own team of reporters and hence its own report on the state of affairs. The report of this network was controversial and disliked - it doesn't mean everyone aired the same report.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 35

Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 07 May 2014, 04:27
Do we have a causal pattern here.
Please evaluate the approach.

Premises seem to suggest that because some negative reports were aired(cause) -----> this lead to ------> decrease in viewership(effect)
However, Conclusion explicitly rules out the possibility that the decrease in viewership was caused by controversial report.

To strengthen the conclusion, I would assume that the scenario was a co-incidence.
And the only option that meets this assumption is Option A.
Expert Post

Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 07 May 2014, 19:26
Expert's post
honey86 wrote:
Do we have a causal pattern here.
Please evaluate the approach.

Premises seem to suggest that because some negative reports were aired(cause) -----> this lead to ------> decrease in viewership(effect)
However, Conclusion explicitly rules out the possibility that the decrease in viewership was caused by controversial report.

To strengthen the conclusion, I would assume that the scenario was a co-incidence.
And the only option that meets this assumption is Option A.

Yes, your approach seems to be fine.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in   [#permalink] 07 May 2014, 19:26