Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 14:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A major network news organization experienced a drop in

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 54
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 0

A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 12:54
1
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (02:08) correct 33% (01:24) wrong based on 856 sessions
A major network news organization experienced a drop in viewership in the week following the airing of a controversial report on the economy. The network
also received a very large number of complaints regarding the report. The network, however, maintains that negative reactions to the report had nothing to do with its loss of viewers.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the network's position?

(A) The other major network news organizations reported similar reductions in viewership during the same week.

(B) The viewers who registered complaints with the network were regular viewers of the news organization's programs.

(C) Major network news organizations publicly attribute drops in viewership to their own reports only when they receive complaints about those reports.

(D) This was not the first time that this network news organization has aired a controversial report on the economy that has inspired viewers to complain to the network.

(E) Most network news viewers rely on network news broadcasts as their primary source of information regarding the economy.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Final Countdown
Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 564
Location: India
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 138 [2] , given: 75

Re: A major network news organization experienced a [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 13:05
2
This post received
KUDOS
Excellent question,
(A) has a tough contender (D)
(A) wins because (D) fails to compare the intensity of controversial nature of the previous broadcasting of another controversial report on economy.
_________________

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 May 2012
Posts: 9
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: A major network news organization experienced a [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 13:08
A. clear

this is X doesnt lead--->Y

i.e controversial prog doesnt lead to---> decrease in viewership.

we have to strengthen it. so any answer of the form that if cause is not there , effect is there as well will suffice.

option a perfectly macthes this pattern.

When no such cause(controversial prog)-->effect(decrease in viewership) is there.

hope it helps.
_________________

GMAT 1- 770(Q 51 V44)
cya ISB in 2013 !!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 209
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: A major network news organization experienced a [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 07:17
nice explanation venus . . i found it difficult to eliminate D
_________________

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Posts: 291
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 79 [5] , given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: A major network news organization experienced a [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 07:26
5
This post received
KUDOS
There seems to be no correct answer .
A does not seem to be correct .We do not know any information of the programs on the other channels .What if there are similar problems that plague the other channels too ? We dont know .What if other channels also aired a controversial program on the economy ,which has lead to the decrease in the number of viewers.We cannot assume this information .
Experts please reply !!
_________________

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Current Student
avatar
Status: Now or never
Joined: 07 Aug 2010
Posts: 326
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: A major network news organization experienced a [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 22:14
Experts please reply

Was stuck in A and B , A is doubtful , but if its OG question then yeah the correct ans has to be A. But still I would like to see how to eliminate B , cause B says all the viewers were regular and hence it eliminates an alternate path to the conclusion ie there were no irregular viewers that could attribute to the drop in the viewership. Kindly explain why elimination of alternate path is not strengthening the argument here.
_________________

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

BSchool Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2012
Posts: 138
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 11

Re: A major network news organization experienced a [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 10:36
crackHSW wrote:
Experts please reply

Was stuck in A and B , A is doubtful , but if its OG question then yeah the correct ans has to be A. But still I would like to see how to eliminate B , cause B says all the viewers were regular and hence it eliminates an alternate path to the conclusion ie there were no irregular viewers that could attribute to the drop in the viewership. Kindly explain why elimination of alternate path is not strengthening the argument here.



Doesn't B indirectly strengthen the fact that it was because of the customers' complains that the viewership decreased ?
Moreover, if the complaints were by the regular customers it gives us a substantial evidence to prove the causal relationship.

Hence, you can eliminate B.
_________________

You want something, go get it . Period !

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 16
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 09:17
why not D?? experts please reply
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2009
Posts: 456
Location: United States (MA)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 09:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
A is right.

(A) The other major network news organizations reported similar reductions in viewership during the same week. >> so the reduction is not because of the controvercial report. everbody faced that. This supports the network's position.

(B) The viewers who registered complaints with the network were regular viewers of the news organization's programs. >>> out of scope

(C) Major network news organizations publicly attribute drops in viewership to their own reports only when they receive complaints about those reports. >> weakens the conclusion.

(D) This was not the first time that this network news organization has aired a controversial report on the economy that has inspired viewers to complain to the network. >> but did they loose viewers in past when this happenend? not sure. So this doesn't support the position.

(E) Most network news viewers rely on network news broadcasts as their primary source of information regarding the economy. >>> Out of scope
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Posts: 464
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 01:45
(A) The other major network news organizations reported similar reductions in viewership during the same week.

This kinda weakens the CAUSE and EFFECT relationship of decline in viewership and reported complaints due to some report.
This shows an existance of the EFFECT without the CAUSE (Controversial Report on Economy w/c was aired by the network in focus).


(B) The viewers who registered complaints with the network were regular viewers of the news organization's programs.
W: This strengthens the CAUSE & EFFECT relationship a bit by showing that those who complained are viewers of the network. We need something that Strengthens the argument and weakens the Cause and Effect relationship.

(C) Major network news organizations publicly attribute drops in viewership to their own reports only when they receive complaints about those reports.

Hmm. When to attribute a complaint to drop in viewership and when not to? Doesn't do anything to the argument.


(D) This was not the first time that this network news organization has aired a controversial report on the economy that has inspired viewers to complain to the network.
First time or second time. This has no bearing on proving the causal relationship.

(E) Most network news viewers rely on network news broadcasts as their primary source of information regarding the economy.[/quote]
Primary source or not primary source. This has no bearing on proving or disproving the causal relationship.

A is the answer. It doesn't establish the argument air tight but it does help it a bit.
_________________

Impossible is nothing to God.

VP
VP
avatar
Status: Final Lap Up!!!
Affiliations: NYK Line
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1096
Location: India
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 266 [0], given: 67

Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 07:37
Can any1 explain the assumption fr this question...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 278
Location: European union
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 38

Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 08:25
Answer D fails to say was there an outflow of viewer last time when such controversial report was announced.

Answer A supports the argument because it states that other programs also have lost viewers and it is highly unlikely that all of them made the same controversial report.
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Final Lap Up!!!
Affiliations: NYK Line
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1096
Location: India
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 266 [0], given: 67

Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 12:10
Ivan91 wrote:
Answer D fails to say was there an outflow of viewer last time when such controversial report was announced.

Answer A supports the argument because it states that other programs also have lost viewers and it is highly unlikely that all of them made the same controversial report.


What you have explained is nothing different from OG explanation......
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1687
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 659

Kudos [?]: 2835 [0], given: 883

Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 01:09
Expert's post
betterscore wrote:
A major network news organization experienced a drop in viewership in the week following the airing of a controversial report on the economy. The network also received a very large number of complaints regarding the report. The network, however, maintains that negative reactions to the report had nothing to do with its loss of viewers.
Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the network's position?

(A) The other major network news organizations reported similar reductions in viewership during the same week.
(B) The viewers who registered complaints with the network were regular viewers of the news organization's programs.
(C) Major network news organizations publicly attribute drops in viewership to their own reports only when they receive complaints about those reports.
(D) This was not the first time that this network news organization has aired a controversial report on the economy that has inspired viewers to complain to the network.
(E) Most network news viewers rely on network news broadcasts as their primary source of information regarding the economy.


Hey
I received a PM about this
One thing that should be noticed is that finding out the assumption in strengthen/weaken questions is often time consuming and difficult. Assumption is not a very simple thing to figure out in complicated arguments while strengthen and weaken could be figured out using some basic strategies and common sense.
Also there could be two conclusions in different context. One could be the conclusion of the argument and one could be the conclusion of a particular character. We should not confuse the conclusion of the network with the conclusion of the argument. ( just to be sure we are not falling for a common gmat trap)

Now looking at the answer choices objectively, we need to find an answer choice that tells us that there must be some other reason for the loss of viewers. It’s better to look for answer choices in a strengthen weaken questions with an objective (makes your life easier).
B) This weakens the network’s argument. If this were true, then the regular viewers are more likely to not watch the network anymore because they were not happy with the network’s broadcast.
C) C does nothing because we are not concerned with the declaration of less viewership, but the reason for which it has declined.
D) I don’t know why people are favoring D here. It does not even mention the loss of viewership which we need to connect with something else to validate an answer choice.
E) E is largely irrelevant. Again we need some reason to support the network by saying that there was some other reason to declined viewership.

A) A is the perfect answer choice. It says that other network had similar decline in viewership which could mean there were other probable causes (holidays, power outage etc.)
A is the clear winner.
_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 454
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 22:03
souvik101990 wrote:
betterscore wrote:
A major network news organization experienced a drop in viewership in the week following the airing of a controversial report on the economy. The network also received a very large number of complaints regarding the report. The network, however, maintains that negative reactions to the report had nothing to do with its loss of viewers.
Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the network's position?

(A) The other major network news organizations reported similar reductions in viewership during the same week.
(B) The viewers who registered complaints with the network were regular viewers of the news organization's programs.
(C) Major network news organizations publicly attribute drops in viewership to their own reports only when they receive complaints about those reports.
(D) This was not the first time that this network news organization has aired a controversial report on the economy that has inspired viewers to complain to the network.
(E) Most network news viewers rely on network news broadcasts as their primary source of information regarding the economy.


Hey
I received a PM about this
One thing that should be noticed is that finding out the assumption in strengthen/weaken questions is often time consuming and difficult. Assumption is not a very simple thing to figure out in complicated arguments while strengthen and weaken could be figured out using some basic strategies and common sense.
Also there could be two conclusions in different context. One could be the conclusion of the argument and one could be the conclusion of a particular character. We should not confuse the conclusion of the network with the conclusion of the argument. ( just to be sure we are not falling for a common gmat trap)

Now looking at the answer choices objectively, we need to find an answer choice that tells us that there must be some other reason for the loss of viewers. It’s better to look for answer choices in a strengthen weaken questions with an objective (makes your life easier).
B) This weakens the network’s argument. If this were true, then the regular viewers are more likely to not watch the network anymore because they were not happy with the network’s broadcast.
C) C does nothing because we are not concerned with the declaration of less viewership, but the reason for which it has declined.
D) I don’t know why people are favoring D here. It does not even mention the loss of viewership which we need to connect with something else to validate an answer choice.
E) E is largely irrelevant. Again we need some reason to support the network by saying that there was some other reason to declined viewership.

A) A is the perfect answer choice. It says that other network had similar decline in viewership which could mean there were other probable causes (holidays, power outage etc.)
A is the clear winner.


Thank you for detail response. HOwever, I have a problem.

I find that for strengthen/weaken problem, prethinking an assumption before going to answer choices is particularly helpful because a strengthener/weakener is the new information which increase belieft/doubt on an assumption. I do not see any strengthener/weakener in og books which increase the belief/dount directly on only conclusion. If you find one, pls tell me. if the assumption we prethink is not the assumption that the strengthener is based on, the prethinking is still helpful because it is more easy to find a strengthener/weakener when we had know one of the assumptions.


for above questions, I prethink that the assumption is that controversial report dose not cause the decline. A incrase the belief in this assumption and is correct.

pls comment. CR logic is not clear but have no much to learn.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2012
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 06:27
Damn!
I misread, in option (A), the word 'reductions' as 'reports', and I was like 'so what?' :roll:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 454
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 00:12
I normally prethink an assumption before going to answer choices.

evidence: dislike of the report, loss of viewer both happen
conclusion: dislike dose not cause the loss
prethink :
assmption is there is another cause
strengthener : must increase the assumption that there is another cause.

go to answer choice, look for a match.
A match.

I spend 1 minute and 30 second for reading argument and prethink an assumption and spend only 30 second for reading answer choices.

do you think that time allocation is good? pls comment

I admit that this question require skill more than time. some other cr problem has long argument and longer answer choices and so takes us longer time to do.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 293
Location: India
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 75

Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 01:13
It is a strengthen question not the conclusion based question. Please remove the "conclusion" tag
_________________

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Prevent and prepare. Not repent and repair!!
Joined: 13 Feb 2010
Posts: 278
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 282

Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 07:16
1
This post received
KUDOS
I found this question tough too. But with an approach to such questions we can crack it!

A major network news organization experienced a drop in viewership in the week following the airing of a controversial report on the economy. .... This is the core of the argument

The network also received a very large number of complaints regarding the report. Premise

The network, however, maintains that negative reactions to the report had nothing to do with its loss of viewers. I feel this is a counter premise.

We need to find the answer choice which talks about the arguement as a whole and not a single premise.

Option D- only talks about the premise. we do not know if there is a drop in viewership (the drop is the issue here! )
Option A- says that there are other channels reporting drop. This is our answer. The reasons for the drop is not our concern here. In fact if there is a different reason for drop it is helpful to show that the controversial news was not the reason for the drop in viewership.
_________________

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2012
Posts: 81
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 137

Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 12:06
If you were stuck between A vs D, here's my reasoning:

(D) This was not the first time that this network news organization has aired a controversial report on the economy that has inspired viewers to complain to the network.

You have to ask yourself: If they lost viewership before, why in the world would they put out a controversial report again. Even the if the report was put out with intent, you have to consider the question stem - it asks "which MOST strongly supports the network's position" answer choice A beats D.

(A) The other major network news organizations reported similar reductions in viewership during the same week. (correct)

This is much stronger than D because it shows that there was another reason as to why viewership dropped. There was an another occurrence.

Do realize though, if A wasn't an option D would be a good choice.
_________________

If my post has contributed to your learning or teaching in any way, feel free to hit the kudos button ^_^

Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2013, 12:06
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 A major sports programming network dqtuan9627 1 08 May 2014, 04:53
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic A minor league baseball franchise experienced a drop in mikemcgarry 3 27 Mar 2013, 14:29
As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one rianah100 5 19 Nov 2005, 14:27
As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one shahnandan 5 21 Oct 2005, 04:26
As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one ywilfred 6 03 Sep 2005, 01:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A major network news organization experienced a drop in

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 29 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.