Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A majority of the international journalists surveyed view

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 304

Premium Member CAT Tests
A majority of the international journalists surveyed view [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 06:37
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

34% (01:55) correct 66% (01:12) wrong based on 103 sessions
26. A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.

(A) that they will, or could,
(B) that they would, or could,
(C) they will be or could
(D) think that they will be or could
(E) think the power stations would or could

Source: Brutal SC's

Again I am having same doubt , I had PM'ed 2-3 GMAT instructors long back but no one replied my luck :P

This was my query will be glad if someone explain this :

"This is regarding the pronoun antecedent rule . I have one query regarding that.

When we are 100% sure that a pronoun refer backs to a particular noun, I mean it depends on person to person how they interpret.

For example:

The city lights when turned on disturb many residents so they are turned off. (This is ambiguity that residents are turned off, or it is self understood that lights are turned off).
The city lights when turned on disturb many residents so they turn them off. (Who turn Whom off? or it is also self understood that residents turn city lights off).

Plz quote a thumb rule ."
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Rgds,
TGC!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 613

Kudos [?]: 2411 [0], given: 716

Re: A majority of the international journalists surveyed [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 06:48
Expert's post
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 304

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A majority of the international journalists surveyed [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 06:54
souvik101990 wrote:
Ambiguous pronouns is NOT a rule!
The only 2 pronoun rules (thumb if you will) are:
1. A pronoun must have a valid antecedent.
2. The pronoun must agree in number.

Hi souvik,

Can u plz explain the two examples I quoted in my query .

For example for one sentence one guy can say "yaa I understood what is antecedent for this pronoun", other guy can say "no the antecedent to this pronoun is not clear".

Plz can u elaborate using examples that I gave .

Thanks in advance

rgds,
saurabh

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Re: A majority of the international journalists surveyed view [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 23:30
Why is the answer choice not E? Is it because it needs to be "x be and y be" for parallelism?

The reason I initially stayed away from D was because I thought the use of "they" could be ambiguous - it might refer to the power stations or to the journalists (both are plural so the plural pronoun "they" would work, right?)
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1162 [1] , given: 118

Premium Member
Re: A majority of the international journalists surveyed view [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 13:41
This post received
KUDOS
catalysis wrote:
Why is the answer choice not E? Is it because it needs to be "x be and y be" for parallelism?

The reason I initially stayed away from D was because I thought the use of "they" could be ambiguous - it might refer to the power stations or to the journalists (both are plural so the plural pronoun "they" would work, right?)

Hello catalysis.

Your first inquiry:
No, if we don't need to repeat the auxiliary verb "be" to make a structure parallel. "will or could be" or "will be or could be" are fine.

Your second inquiry:
"they" is NOT ambiguous. "they" only refers to power stations because "journalists" is NOT the main subject, which is "a majority of journalists". Hence, "they" is used correctly.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 18

Re: A majority of the international journalists surveyed view [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 01:37
Hi pqhai,

Agree. Choice D is clear and concise.

If choice D had not been present in the options, E would have been the next right answer. Am I correct?

Thanks.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Those, who never do any more than they get paid for, never get paid for any more than they do"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 397

Re: A majority of the international journalists surveyed view [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2014, 14:58
TGC wrote:
26. A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.

Source: Brutal SC's

Do not understand why D is right.

D will be like : A majority of the international journalists surveyed think that they will be or could be made sufficiently safe in the future.

It does not make sense to me. Can someone explain plz!

Thanks

Think outside the box

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 79 [1] , given: 54

Re: A majority of the international journalists surveyed view [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 00:34
This post received
KUDOS
Striking out prep. phrases and modifiers

A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.

As we see, but is acting as a parallel marker and not as a co-coordinating conjunction. but must hence be followed by a verb - parallel to view

straight away, eliminate A,B,C for the above stated reason.

Let's check E before we worry about D.

Addnl. notes: If you are worried that they could refer to journalists, hold your horses. ...journalists... is a part of the prep. phrase. The only other plural noun is power stations. Hence, 'they' has a clear referent.

Notice the absence of the relative clause modifier - that. 'think the power stations ..' is a wrong construction.
Another issue with E - or being the parallel marker, verb forms on either side of or must be parallel. (Not necessarily in the same tense though)

So we are left with D.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: A majority of the international journalists surveyed view [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 03:55
sivasanjeev wrote:
Striking out prep. phrases and modifiers

A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.

As we see, but is acting as a parallel marker and not as a co-coordinating conjunction. but must hence be followed by a verb - parallel to view

straight away, eliminate A,B,C for the above stated reason.

Let's check E before we worry about D.

Addnl. notes: If you are worried that they could refer to journalists, hold your horses. ...journalists... is a part of the prep. phrase. The only other plural noun is power stations. Hence, 'they' has a clear referent.

Notice the absence of the relative clause modifier - that. 'think the power stations ..' is a wrong construction.
Another issue with E - or being the parallel marker, verb forms on either side of or must be parallel. (Not necessarily in the same tense though)

So we are left with D.

Great explanation but I want to elaborate a bit more on why E is wrong. The use of " Power stations" is redundant because "they" clearly refers to " Power stations" therefore we do not nee to use "Power stations" . Hope it makes sense.
Re: A majority of the international journalists surveyed view   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2014, 03:55