Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A majority of the international journalists surveyed view

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [2] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
A majority of the international journalists surveyed view [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 02:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (01:32) correct 59% (00:42) wrong based on 266 sessions
A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.

(A) that they will, or could,
(B) that they would, or could,
(C) they will be or could
(D) think that they will be or could
(E) think the power stations would or could
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Consider kudos for good post.

Last edited by Zarrolou on 05 Jun 2013, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question, added OA.
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [2] , given: 6

Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 10:12
This post received
KUDOS
I understand the difference of would and will but I woulnt have been able to explain as better as written below:

Quote:
choice E misuses 'would,' which is a past-tense construction.

Correct: The journalists THOUGHT that the plants WOULD be made safe in the future.

Correct: The journalists THINK that the plants WILL be made safe in the future.

Incorrect: *The journalists THOUGHT that the plants WILL be made safe in the future.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 10

Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 10:26
This post received
KUDOS
gmataspirant2009 wrote:
13. A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.
would or could refers to past tense, so incorrect

This question tests parallelisim.

Consider kudos for a good explanation

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 23:27
This post received
KUDOS
OA is D

issue of parallelism - view has to be followed by think.
So options A B C are out.

In E would or could doesn't sound right. I am not sure how to nullify E.

izing wrote:
13. A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.

Will is wrong, because "would" is needed for indirect speech, so A, C, and D are out. E seems wrong because a comma is needed (not sure why, but that's how it seems to be). E has "the power stations" replacing the pronoun "they", which is not really needed, because there is no confusion with "a majority of international journalists". However, E has the verb "think" replacing "view", which seems right against B because "view ... but that" doesn't seem to be an idiom, "view X as Y" is. But "that" is needed after "think" in E, without which, it goes like "A think X would or could be made Y", which doesn't seem right. So I would go for B, thinking that "view ... but that" is OK.

What is the OA?

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
WE 1: 5 Years
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 100 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2009, 07:57
This post received
KUDOS
OP please make sure you underline the incorrect portion of the sentence, thanks for the question though.

Rock On

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.85
WE: Sales (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 3

Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
JoyLibs wrote:
lonewolf wrote:
Can anyone explain the difference behind "will be" and "would be" here?

I understand the answer is D because of parallelism. I was wondering if E was rewritten as "think that the power stations would be or could"

Which one would the GMAT prefer?

Someone please explain the difference between 'will be' and 'would be'

When the subject makes a prediction you have to use Simple present and the modal (Will, can, may, should or might) + the base form of the verb.

If I take an extra course each semester, I should graduate a semester earlier.

When the subject Speculates about something (unlikely to happen) you have to use the past tense + the modal (could, might, would) + base form of the verb

If I won the lottery, I would quit my job and travel the world

When the subject speculates about something that didn't happen in the past it is used the past perfect and the modal (could have, might have, would have) + past participle

If I had won the lottery, I would have quit my job and traveled the world.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 12:02

Will is wrong, because "would" is needed for indirect speech, so A, C, and D are out. E seems wrong because a comma is needed (not sure why, but that's how it seems to be). E has "the power stations" replacing the pronoun "they", which is not really needed, because there is no confusion with "a majority of international journalists". However, E has the verb "think" replacing "view", which seems right against B because "view ... but that" doesn't seem to be an idiom, "view X as Y" is. But "that" is needed after "think" in E, without which, it goes like "A think X would or could be made Y", which doesn't seem right. So I would go for B, thinking that "view ... but that" is OK.

What is the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2009, 00:15
snipertrader wrote:
OA is D

issue of parallelism - view has to be followed by think.
So options A B C are out.

In E would or could doesn't sound right. I am not sure how to nullify E.

izing wrote:

What is the OA?

In 'E': think THAT the power stations would or could?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2009, 07:39
If we simplify the structure we will be left with D
i.e. Journalists view power station as unsafe but think that they will be or could be made sufficiently safe
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 03:48

I understand the answer is D because of parallelism. I was wondering if E was rewritten as "think that the power stations would be or could"

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 10:16
lonewolf wrote:

Someone please explain the difference between 'will be' and 'would be'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 14:25
seekmba wrote:
I understand the difference of would and will but I woulnt have been able to explain as better as written below:

Quote:
choice E misuses 'would,' which is a past-tense construction.

Correct: The journalists THOUGHT that the plants WOULD be made safe in the future.

Correct: The journalists THINK that the plants WILL be made safe in the future.

Incorrect: *The journalists THOUGHT that the plants WILL be made safe in the future.

agreed!
Timeline is

Past - Present - future - conditional

Present + Future is acceptable (thats the case here and Will needs to be used)
Past + conditional is acceptable (If it had rained, i would have left)

Any other combination is unacceptable.

Run towards the things that make you uncomfortable daily. The greatest risk is not taking risks
http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-690-to-730-q50-v38-97356.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 01:57

What does 'they' refer to here, isn't there an ambiguity found in the sentence??
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 22:10
OA is D but i am convinced it is not D but it is E
1)they is ambigous in D
2)if would becomes will, could should become can (in D)
3)Moreover, majority of scientists SURVEYED(in the past)...then referring to a future action (from the past) should ideally be would or could (please tell me if there is any discrepancy in this logic)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 23:02
gowrits wrote:
1)they is ambigous in D
3)Moreover, majority of scientists SURVEYED(in the past)...then referring to a future action (from the past) should ideally be would or could (please tell me if there is any discrepancy in this logic)

I tend to agree with you. I also chose E. Besides the points you mentioned, it seems like the sentence is in reported speech, and as far as I remember will should be converted to would.

What is the source of the question and was is the official explanation regarding answer E?

Consider Kudos if my post helped you. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My TOEFL Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-toefl-experience-99884.html
My GMAT Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-730-10-luck-20-skill-15-concentrated-power-of-will-104473.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 23:17
rafi wrote:
gowrits wrote:
1)they is ambigous in D

I tend to agree with you. I also chose E. Besides the points you mentioned, it seems like the sentence is in reported speech, and as far as I remember will should be converted to would.

What is the source of the question and was is the official explanation regarding answer E?

source is 1000sc and afaik, there is no oe (damn that sentence has a lot of abbr. :P)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 06:21
Probably reasoning behind "D" answer might be following:

1) pronoun refers to the closest noun.
Thus "they" in D grammaticaly points to "power stations". Hence, repeating "power stations" one more time is wordy and inconcise -> Eliminate E

2) think THAT is idiomatic

3) Sentence is in the present tense -> No Would. Also would + could destort the meaning of original phrase
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 07:50
Pretty diff kind of question.Got it right. :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 21:31
ramana wrote:

What does 'they' refer to here, isn't there an ambiguity found in the sentence??

Not a good question. "they" is indeed ambiguous. Standard GMAC questions will not look like this.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 21:37
In Option 'E' the pronoun 'they' is replaced by power stations, isnt it clearer ?

in 'D' they could refer to the journalists as well.

I think 'E' can also be considered as a viable option !!
Re: A majority of the international journalists   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2010, 21:37