Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 20:09
why is the distance between buses a constant value?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1154

Kudos [?]: 5369 [0], given: 165

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 21:38
Expert's post
teal wrote:

Assume that starting from a bus station, all buses run at the same speed of 50 mph.
Say a bus starts at 12:00 noon. Another starts at 1:00 pm i.e. exactly one hr later on the same route. Can we say that the previous bus is 50 miles away at 1:00 pm? Yes, so the distance between the two buses initially will be 50 miles. The 1 o clock bus also runs at 50 mph. Will the distance between these two buses always stay the same i.e. the initial 50 miles? Since both buses are moving at the same speed of 50 mph, relative to each other, they are not moving at all and the distance between them remains constant.

The exact same concept is used in this question.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 15

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 22:49
Bunuel wrote:
lucalelli88 wrote:
A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes a bus overtakes him and every 4 minutes he meets an oncoming bus. If all buses and the cyclist move at a constant speed, what is the time interval between consecutive buses?

I didn't get how to solve this problem. Can someone explain me more detailed than solution provided by the test?
Thank you in advance!!

A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes a bus overtakes him and every 4 minutes he meets an oncoming bus. If all buses and the cyclist move at a constant speed, what is the time interval between consecutive buses?
A. 5 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 9 minutes
E. 10 minutes

Let's say the distance between the buses is d. We want to determine Interval=\frac{d}{b}, where b is the speed of bus.

Let the speed of cyclist be c.

Every 12 minutes a bus overtakes cyclist: \frac{d}{b-c}=12, d=12b-12c;

Every 4 minutes cyclist meets an oncoming bus: \frac{d}{b+c}=4, d=4b+4c;

d=12b-12c=4b+4c, --> b=2c, --> d=12b-6b=6b.

Interval=\frac{d}{b}=\frac{6b}{b}=6

Answer: B (6 minutes).

Hope it helps.

Hi,

I m not sure how this formula of Interval has been arrived?. Is it a standard formula???

Thanks in advance... :-D
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3611

Kudos [?]: 28837 [0], given: 2854

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 04:02
Expert's post
teal wrote:

Buses travel on schedule so, the distance between two successive buses must be some constant value.

bhavinshah5685 wrote:
Hi,

I m not sure how this formula of Interval has been arrived?. Is it a standard formula???

Thanks in advance... :-D

Interval between two successive buses is the time, so it equals time=distance/rate.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 08:20
VeritasPrepKarishma & Bunuel, great replies! Methods are different, similar concepts! Thanks for posting guys +1 to you

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 529 [1] , given: 43

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 22:52
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
lucalelli88 wrote:

A. 5 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 9 minutes
E. 10 minutes

I didn't get how to solve this problem. Can someone explain me more detailed than solution provided by the test?
Thank you in advance!!

When solving motion problems, I can't do without some drawings.
So, here is my version:

Denote by B the speed of the bus and by C the speed of the bicycle. Both are assumed to be constant.
Let T be the constant time interval between consecutive buses. It means, the distance between two consecutive buses is BT.

First scenario: buses and bicycle moving in the same direction and buses overtake the bicycle. Refer to the first attached drawing.

When bus B and bicycle C are at point n, next bus B^* is at point m.
Bus B^* will overtake bicycle C at point p.
In 12 minutes, bus B^* travels the distance mp and bicycle C travels the distance np.
We know that mp is the distance between consecutive buses, therefore mp=BT.
Translated into an equation mp=mn+np, so:
12B=BT+12C (1)

Second scenario: buses and bicycle moving in opposite directions and buses meet the bicycle. Refer to the second attached drawing.

When bus B and bicycle C are at point m, next bus B^* is at point p.
Bus B^* will meet bicycle C at point n.
In 4 minutes, bus B^* travels the distance np and bicycle C travels the distance mn.
We know that mp is the distance between consecutive buses, therefore mp=BT.
Translated into an equation mp=mn+np, so:
BT=4C+4B (2)

Expressing BT from both equations, we get 12(B-C)=4(B+C) from which B=2C (3)
Substituting (3) in (2) for example, we get, 2CT=8C+4C from which T=6 (minutes).

Answer B.
Attachments

BusBicycle1.jpg
BusBicycle1.jpg [ 7.78 KiB | Viewed 1171 times ]

BusBicycle2.jpg
BusBicycle2.jpg [ 7.75 KiB | Viewed 1170 times ]

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-27-2013
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 118

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 13:49
Bunuel wrote:
lucalelli88 wrote:

Thank you in advance!!

A. 5 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 9 minutes
E. 10 minutes

Let's say the distance between the buses is d. We want to determine Interval=\frac{d}{b}, where b is the speed of bus.

Hope it helps.

what does " every 4 minutes he meets an oncoming bus. " refers? please help
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1379 [0], given: 122

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 14:12
FTGNGU wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
lucalelli88 wrote:

Thank you in advance!!

A. 5 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 9 minutes
E. 10 minutes

Hope it helps.

FTGNGU,
it means every 4 minutes, the cyclist meets a bus moving in opposite direction. So, the relative speed between them is the absolute value of [speed of cyclist - speed of the bus]

Hope it helps,

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1154

Kudos [?]: 5369 [0], given: 165

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 20:26
Expert's post
FTGNGU wrote:

The cyclist is moving in one direction, say due east. Every 4 mins, he meets a bus coming towards him (going due West)

Cyc ----> <-------- Bus (Bus coming towards him)

Cyc-><-Bus (Meets the bus)

<------Bus Cycl -------> (They cross each other)

This happens with a different bus every 4 mins.

Every 4 mins, he meets an oncoming bus. So he meets a bus coming towards him at 12:00 noon. Then, at 12:04 pm, he meets another bus coming towards him. Then again at 12:08 pm and so on.

Their relative speed = Speed of cyclist + Speed of Bus

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 10

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 22:41
1. In the case of the overtaking bus, the speed of the cyclist needs to be deducted from that of the bus and in the case of the oncoming bus their
speed needs to be added.
2. These two speeds are in the ratio 1:3 because the time is in the ratio 3:1.
3. s1+s2 =3x -----(1) and s2-s1 = x --- (2) Therefore s2 = 2x --- (3) where s1 is the speed of the cyclist and s2 is the speed of the bus.
4. To find the time interval between consecutive buses, we need to assume the case when the buses alone are running and the cyclist is stationary. That is we need to consider s2 only and assume s1=0.
5. From (1) and (3) we know that the speed of (3) is 1.5 times less than the speed of (1.) Therefore the time taken will be 1.5 times more than in the case of (1)
6. In the case of (1), the time taken is 4 min. Therefore in the case of (3) it is 4*1.5=6 min. That is when the cyclist is stationary, the buses cross him every 6 min.

Therefore the time interval between 2 consecutive buses is 6 min

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

Last edited by SravnaTestPrep on 16 Aug 2013, 18:41, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 10

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 23:24
This post received
KUDOS
Another approach:

1. Assume the combined speed of the cyclist and the bus is s1+ s2. s1 is the speed of the cyclist and s2 is the speed of the bus.
2. From the time a bus starts till the time it meets the cyclist, assume the distance traveled is d and the time taken is m
3. In the case of overtaking the difference in the speeds needs to be taken since both are traveling in the same direction. The relative speed is s2- s1. Assume to travel the same distance d the time taken is n
5. From (2) and (3), we have, m(s1+s2) = n(s2-s1)=d. we know m is 4 min and n is 12 min.
6. d= 4(s1+s2) = 12(s2-s1)
7. We want to find d/ s2 = 12(s2-s1)/s2 = 12(s2/s2) - 12(s1/s2) = 12-6= 6 min

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 134

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2013, 16:13
Hello.

While I understand the algebra behind the problem, I'm not sure I understand the logic. Consecutive buses are passed every four minutes and the cyclist is passed every 12. I'm unable to rationalize how the time between consecutive buses is 6 minutes? I'm not even sure I understand the context of "consecutive" in this problem.

Thanks!!! :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 102

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 01:22
lucalelli88 wrote:

A. 5 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 9 minutes
E. 10 minutes

Thank you in advance!!

Time interval between consecutive buses!!!!!
Already given !!!!

this question is FLAWED.......
We can calculate when they will overtake each other.....
100% FLAWED question

Asif vai.....

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 598 [0], given: 135

Premium Member
Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 01:25
Expert's post
Asifpirlo wrote:
lucalelli88 wrote:

A. 5 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 9 minutes
E. 10 minutes

Thank you in advance!!

Already given !!!!

100% FLAWED question

Hello, It will be interesting to understand your logic behind branding this question as '100 % flawed"? Can you kindly elucidate?

All that is equal and not-Deep Dive In-equality

Hit and Trial for Integral Solutions

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 134

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 08:04
This post received
KUDOS
While I wouldn't say the question is flawed, the wording is quite ambiguous.

mau5 wrote:
Asifpirlo wrote:
lucalelli88 wrote:

A. 5 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 9 minutes
E. 10 minutes

Thank you in advance!!

Already given !!!!

100% FLAWED question

Hello, It will be interesting to understand your logic behind branding this question as '100 % flawed"? Can you kindly elucidate?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 102

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 12:35
mau5 wrote:
Asifpirlo wrote:
lucalelli88 wrote:

A. 5 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 9 minutes
E. 10 minutes

Thank you in advance!!

Already given !!!!

100% FLAWED question

i already mentioned but may be you didn't see.

Asif vai.....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 134

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 12:03

This problem took me a while to figure out but I think I got it!

The interval refers to the time (i.e. time = distance/speed)

The interval for the bus is t=d/b where b represents the constant speed of both buses.

When the bus overtakes the cyclist, it represents the bus gaining on the cyclist (i.e. the bus speed is faster than the cyclist) so every time the bus overtakes the cyclist, which is every 12 minutes, we have:

12 = d/(b-c) where b-c is the rate that the bus gains on the cyclist.
12b-12c = d

When the oncoming bus meets the cyclist, it represents their combined forward speeds towards one another. Every time the bus meets the cyclist, which is every 4 minutes, we have:

4 = d/(b+c)
4b+4c = d
Note, we use c for both bus speeds because the question tells us that they move at the same constant speed.

12b-12c = d
4b+4c = d

12b-12c = 4b+4c
8b = 16c
b = 2c

12b-12c = d
12(2c) - 12c = d

My problem is this: how do I know to solve for d? In other words, why would I know:
b = 2c, 12b-12c = d
12*(2c) - 12c = d
24c - 12c = d
12c = d isn't correct?
How would I know to convert b=2c to c=b/2 to plug in so I can get a value for d thus getting me the right answer?

c=b/2
12b-12c = d
12b - 12(b/2) = d
12b - 6b = d
6b = d

t=d/b (the interval for both buses)
t=(6b/b)
t = 6

ANSWER: B. 6 minutes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 56

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 01:20
Bunuel wrote:
lucalelli88 wrote:

Thank you in advance!!

A. 5 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 9 minutes
E. 10 minutes

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel
Following doubts need to be clear

d/b-c---Why it is so if objects are moving in same direction.
d/b+c---Why it is so if objects are moving in opposite direction.

Rgds
Prasannajeet
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 01:23
Expert's post
prasannajeet wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
lucalelli88 wrote:

Thank you in advance!!

A. 5 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 9 minutes
E. 10 minutes

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel
Following doubts need to be clear

d/b-c---Why it is so if objects are moving in same direction.
d/b+c---Why it is so if objects are moving in opposite direction.

Rgds
Prasannajeet

When 2 objects move in the same direction their relative speed is the difference of their individual speeds.
When 2 objects move in the opposite direction their relative speed is the sum of their individual speeds.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 01:24
Expert's post
Asifpirlo wrote:
lucalelli88 wrote:

A. 5 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 9 minutes
E. 10 minutes

Thank you in advance!!

Already given !!!!

100% FLAWED question

There is nothing wrong with the question.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2013, 01:24