Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 00:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1070

Kudos [?]: 4771 [1] , given: 163

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 02:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
A post on relative speed:

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/07 ... elatively/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 102

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 03:11
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

Thanks Karishma. Your posts were always essential for me

Asif vai.....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 134

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 10:08

Nice post, thanks! I suppose you wouldn't have a post breaking down this: on-a-partly-cloudy-day-derek-decides-to-walk-back-from-work-147050.html#p1257285

monster, would you? :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 9

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 19:11
1. If the distance between two points is d and two objects are moving with speed s1 and s2 and we are given d/(s1+s2) and d/(s2-s1), the harmonic mean gives d/s2 i.e., harmonic mean is 2 / ((s1+s2)/d +(s2-s1)/d) = d/s2
2. The present problem can be solved within the above framework. The speed of the cyclist can be taken as s1 and the speed of the buses as s2
3. If the distance is called AB and is equal to 2d , and the cyclist is midway and starts moving towards B, then buses starting from A, take d/(s2-s1) minutes to meet the cyclist after the previous bus meets him and similarly buses starting from B take d/(s1+s2) minutes to meet him after the previous bus meets him.
4. What the problem asks is effectively to find when the cyclist is stationary i.e, when s1=0, , how long does it take a bus to meet the cyclist after the previous bus meets him. i.e., it asks us to find d/s2. This can be found using the harmonic mean formula.
5. Since d/(s1+ s2) = 4 and d/(s2-s1) = 12, d/s2 = 2 / (1/4 + 1/12) = 6 minutes

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com/courses.php

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

Last edited by SravnaTestPrep on 28 Aug 2013, 07:14, edited 3 times in total.
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 4771 [0], given: 163

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 04:27
Expert's post
WholeLottaLove wrote:

Nice post, thanks! I suppose you wouldn't have a post breaking down this: on-a-partly-cloudy-day-derek-decides-to-walk-back-from-work-147050.html#p1257285

Well, I wrote this question for Veritas and I can tell you that it is not very easy. It's conceptual and has a trap. I haven't written a post on this question but will be willing to write one next week. Look out for the post next Monday on my blog.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.9
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 45

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 03:37
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
lucalelli88 wrote:
A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes a bus overtakes him and every 4 minutes he meets an oncoming bus. If all buses and the cyclist move at a constant speed, what is the time interval between consecutive buses?

I didn't get how to solve this problem. Can someone explain me more detailed than solution provided by the test?
Thank you in advance!!

A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes a bus overtakes him and every 4 minutes he meets an oncoming bus. If all buses and the cyclist move at a constant speed, what is the time interval between consecutive buses?
A. 5 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 9 minutes
E. 10 minutes

Let's say the distance between the buses is d. We want to determine Interval=\frac{d}{b}, where b is the speed of bus.

Let the speed of cyclist be c.

Every 12 minutes a bus overtakes cyclist: \frac{d}{b-c}=12, d=12b-12c;

Every 4 minutes cyclist meets an oncoming bus: \frac{d}{b+c}=4, d=4b+4c;

d=12b-12c=4b+4c, --> b=2c, --> d=12b-6b=6b.

Interval=\frac{d}{b}=\frac{6b}{b}=6

Answer: B (6 minutes).

Hope it helps.

Harmonic mean of the two times gives 6 as answer ? Is there a connection b/w Mean and the solution to such probs. May be yes because there is a sense of harmonics ( i.e. repetition is multilple of the first term. ) but I am not able to explain it or find a concrete analysis. brunuel what do you say ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 07:01
ygdrasil24 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
lucalelli88 wrote:

I didn't get how to solve this problem. Can someone explain me more detailed than solution provided by the test?
Thank you in advance!!

A. 5 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 9 minutes
E. 10 minutes

Let's say the distance between the buses is d. We want to determine Interval=\frac{d}{b}, where b is the speed of bus.

Hope it helps.

Harmonic mean of the two times gives 6 as answer ? Is there a connection b/w Mean and the solution to such probs. May be yes because there is a sense of harmonics ( i.e. repetition is multilple of the first term. ) but I am not able to explain it or find a concrete analysis. brunuel what do you say ?

Hi,

I have corrected my previous reply and have given my thoughts on this. Kindly take a look.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 4771 [0], given: 163

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 22:01
Expert's post
WholeLottaLove wrote:

Actually, Ron beat me to it and gave a full fledged, brilliant analysis of this question here: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/08 ... -the-gmat/

This should be helpful.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.9
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 45

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 08:11
Hi,

I have corrected my previous reply and have given my thoughts on this. Kindly take a look.[/quote]

Thanks Srinavasan, but can you explain what harmonic mean is doing here ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 19:40
ygdrasil24 wrote:
Hi,

I have corrected my previous reply and have given my thoughts on this. Kindly take a look.

Thanks Srinavasan, but can you explain what harmonic mean is doing here ?[/quote]

Consider two buses one traveling at 25 miles/hr and the other at 50 miles /hr. Let us assume a distance of 300 miles. When they are moving in the opposite direction the distance is covered in 300/ (50+25) = 4 hours. The slower bus covers the distance in 300/25 = 12 hours and the faster bus covers the distance in 300/50 = 6 hours You see the ratio of the combined speed and the speed of the faster bus is 1.5:1 and this is reflected in the time taken ie, 4 hours and 6 hours . Similarly the ratio of the speed of the faster bus and the slower bus is 2:1 and this is reflected in the time taken ie., 6 hours and 12 hours.

We can see that the difference in the time taken by the faster bus and the combined time (6-4= 2 hrs) and the difference in the time taken by the slower bus and the faster bus(12-6 = 6 hrs) is in the ratio of one extreme being the combined time taken and the other extreme being the time taken by the slower bus. That is the distance of the "mean" is at a distance from the two extremes that is proportionate to the ratio of the two extremes and this is what harmonic mean is.

Thus it turns out that in the above scenario the use of harmonic mean to find the time taken by the faster bus is apt.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 06:34
Liked your question...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 06:46
How can we assume that the sped of both bus is same
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2013, 07:54
lucalelli88 wrote:

A. 5 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 9 minutes
E. 10 minutes

Thank you in advance!!

Let's say 'b' for bus, and 'c' for cyclist rates.

Time interval means = d / b

We have that 12(b-c) = 4(b+c) = Distance

So we get b = 2c

Now we need to find the distance, replace in second equation and we get 12c

Since b = 2c then 6b = 12c

Interval is therefore 6b/b = 6 min

Answer is B

Hope it helps!
Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 56

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2014, 08:08
Its very very tricky........
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 02:25
Another perspective:

Consider this way: from one end the buses start every 4 minutes and from the other end they start every 12 minutes. We can see that the buses, on the average, start every 6 min and this is the actual time between two consecutive buses.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 21

CAT Tests
Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 23:33
Bunuel wrote:
lucalelli88 wrote:

Thank you in advance!!

A. 5 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 9 minutes
E. 10 minutes

Hope it helps.

Acc to the solution in club test
the distance between the buses is 4(Vb+Vc)=12(Vb−Vc)
Now,

4(Vb+Vc)
is distance between bus and cyclist how come between two buses. Pls clarify
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 164

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2014, 01:54
Whats the level of this question?

I got it wrong the first place :(

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3359

Kudos [?]: 24335 [0], given: 2676

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2014, 01:56
Expert's post
Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2014, 01:56