Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 22:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 7

A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 03:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (03:11) correct 65% (01:50) wrong based on 366 sessions
A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes a bus overtakes him and every 4 minutes he meets an oncoming bus. If all buses and the cyclist move at a constant speed, what is the time interval between consecutive buses?

A. 5 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 9 minutes
E. 10 minutes

I didn't get how to solve this problem. Can someone explain me more detailed than solution provided by the test?
Thank you in advance!!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 02 Apr 2012, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question and added the OA
Expert Post
19 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3511

Kudos [?]: 26639 [19] , given: 2714

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 03:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
lucalelli88 wrote:
A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes a bus overtakes him and every 4 minutes he meets an oncoming bus. If all buses and the cyclist move at a constant speed, what is the time interval between consecutive buses?

I didn't get how to solve this problem. Can someone explain me more detailed than solution provided by the test?
Thank you in advance!!

A. 5 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 9 minutes
E. 10 minutes

Let's say the distance between the buses is d. We want to determine Interval=\frac{d}{b}, where b is the speed of bus.

Let the speed of cyclist be c.

Every 12 minutes a bus overtakes cyclist: \frac{d}{b-c}=12, d=12b-12c;

Every 4 minutes cyclist meets an oncoming bus: \frac{d}{b+c}=4, d=4b+4c;

d=12b-12c=4b+4c, --> b=2c, --> d=12b-6b=6b.

Interval=\frac{d}{b}=\frac{6b}{b}=6

Answer: B (6 minutes).

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 07:55
Thank you very much!!Great explanation!!+1 for you!

I think the question is pretty hard: do you think that is possible to find a question so hard in the real GMAT?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A man cycling [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 08:03
neoreaves wrote:
can you please explain how you got the answer ?

I might be VERY wrong..But when i don't get the answers..I go off track..So I'm not sure that this is the answer..
But marking the answer with some guess is better than NO guess.!!

Let say the road is a straight line AB.
The cyclist starts frm A and Bus starts frm B.

So in 4 min, let the distance traveled by Cyc is x, so distance traveled by Bus is (AB - x)
so 4 = x/c...........................1
and 4= (AB - x)/b..................................2
where c and b are respective speed of the cyclist and bus

Also in 12 mins, distance traveled by cyc is 3x.

so 12= 3x/(b-c) and x= 4c (frm 1)
so 1= c/(b-c)
and b=2c........................3

put the value of b frm 3 in equation 2.

We get AB=12c

So now the total distance is 12c and bus speed is 2c. The bus travels in 6 min...

It's A COMPLETE WILD GUESS..!! I was not able to get answer in 2 min..Let me knw the OA and OE.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 00:21
Bunuel wrote:

Let's say the distance between the buses is d. We want to determine Interval=\frac{d}{b}, where b is the speed of bus.

Answer: 6 minutes.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the explanation. Please clarify the following doubts.
Aren't we calculating the interval between 2 buses that move towards each other?
If yes, then would the interval not be 6b/b+b ?
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26639 [3] , given: 2714

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 00:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Fiver wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it helps.

Aren't we calculating the interval between 2 buses that move towards each other?

Not sure I understood your question...

Anyway: question asks "what is the time interval between consecutive buses". Or time intervals between subsequent bus arrivals to a given bus stop (some static point). Which is: constant distance between two subsequent buses divided by the constant rate of these buses d/b. After some calculations we've gotten that d=6b, hence d/b=6b/b=6.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 38

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 19:05
Bunuel wrote:
Fiver wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it helps.

Anyway: question asks "what is the time interval between consecutive buses". Or time intervals between subsequent bus arrivals to a given bus stop (some static point). Which is: constant distance between two subsequent buses divided by the constant rate of these buses d/b. After some calculations we've gotten that d=6b, hence d/b=6b/b=6.

Thanks bunnel for the explanation.
But I have a doubt here. what is the time interval between consecutive buses?
Isn't it the time interval between consecutive buses going in one direction. If that is the case then ans should be 12 min.
Thanks.

--shadab
Gmat FlashCard For Anki

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 104 [2] , given: 31

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 21:44
This post received
KUDOS
shadabkhaniet wrote:
Isn't it the time interval between consecutive buses going in one direction. If that is the case then ans should be 12 min.
Thanks.

yeah if you standing at a busstop then whats the time interval of arrival of bus.--> you may take the question this way.

use relative velocity:

vel of bus=a
vel of cyclist=b
distance between them=d

now,
d=12(a-b)=4(a+b)

hence d=6a
so time interval is d/a=6 min

hope this clarifies...!!

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 21:54
kraizada84 wrote:
shadabkhaniet wrote:
Thanks.

yeah if you standing at a busstop then whats the time interval of arrival of bus.--> you may take the question this way.

use relative velocity:

vel of bus=a
vel of cyclist=b
distance between them=d

now,
d=12(a-b)=4(a+b)

hence d=6a
so time interval is d/a=6 min

hope this clarifies...!!

Thanks kraizada84 for explanation, but still
not making sense to me.
If you are standing at a bus stop then the interval of arrival of bus will be in one direction only. But here we are calculating for both direction.

thanks

--shadab
Gmat FlashCard For Anki

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 503 [2] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 23:22
This post received
KUDOS
You see in ONE DIRECTION, the distance between two buses is "d", the speed of the buses is "b"(lets just say its km/minute).
So to find this interval, we take this distance divided by speed of bus(all in ONE DIRECTION). so d/b.

Now through algebra 12(a-b)=4(a+b) , we find that distance "d" is equal to "6b". remember d is distance between two buses in ONE DIRECTION. And so we do the division and get the answer 6 minutes.

Just because we do this algebra equation d=12(a-b)=4(a+b), doesn't mean that the nature of b,c or d has changed. It stays true to its original meaning.

No idea what else can clear up your confusion :S

Please give KUDOS if you find that my post adds value! Thank you!! :)

Question Bank Extracted from the GMATPrep Software:
857 Verbal Questions: gmatprep-verbal-question-bank-130070.html
393 Quant PS Questions: gmatprep-ps-question-bank-130073.html
436 Quant DS Questions: gmatprep-ds-question-bank-130069.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26639 [1] , given: 2714

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 23:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shadabkhaniet wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Fiver wrote:

Thanks.

Consecutive buses mean consecutive buses in one direction, how else? So, if the distance between two consecutive buses is d and the rate of the bus is b then Interval=\frac{d}{b}.

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager

Re: test m08 question n18 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 01:03
Bunuel wrote:
shadabkhaniet wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Thanks.

Consecutive buses mean consecutive buses in one direction, how else? So, if the distance between two consecutive buses is d and the rate of the bus is b then Interval=\frac{d}{b}.

Hope it helps.

thanks bunnel and anyonym for explanation. +1

--shadab
Gmat FlashCard For Anki

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 01:21
Whoa! Stumped me but nice replies! Thanks guys!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 11

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 12:28
Hi Bunuel,

This is regarding the solution you gave:

when you say distance between 2 buses is d, you mean to buses that start at opposite ends right?
ex.
after 12 mins
(POINT A)starting point for busA --------------cyclist(busA meets him here)-----------------staring point for busB
-------------------------distance d -----------------------

then how is following possible coz d is the total distance not the distance between busA staring point and meeting point with cyclist.

Plus, is the question asking for interval between when 2 buses leave staring point of busA(POINT A)?

thanks,
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26639 [0], given: 2714

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 23:36
Expert's post
kartik222 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

This is regarding the solution you gave:

when you say distance between 2 buses is d, you mean to buses that start at opposite ends right?
ex.
after 12 mins
(POINT A)starting point for busA --------------cyclist(busA meets him here)-----------------staring point for busB
-------------------------distance d -----------------------

then how is following possible coz d is the total distance not the distance between busA staring point and meeting point with cyclist.

Plus, is the question asking for interval between when 2 buses leave staring point of busA(POINT A)?

thanks,

No, the distance between the buses is d means that d is the distance between two subsequent buses.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V38
WE: General Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 3

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 22:02
Can I assume that since Cyclist is meeting an oncoming bus every 4 minutes, his speed is 4km/hr? or lets assume that a bus crosses him every 12 minutes coming from back and in 4 minutes coming from front. Thus cumulative speed is 16km/hr however cyclist himself is also moving forward @4km/hr. Thus net effect is 12km/hr. Beyond that, I am confused.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26639 [0], given: 2714

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 11:21
Expert's post
manjeet1972 wrote:
Can I assume that since Cyclist is meeting an oncoming bus every 4 minutes, his speed is 4km/hr? or lets assume that a bus crosses him every 12 minutes coming from back and in 4 minutes coming from front. Thus cumulative speed is 16km/hr however cyclist himself is also moving forward @4km/hr. Thus net effect is 12km/hr. Beyond that, I am confused.

No you can not assume that. Please refer to the solutions given above.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 14

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 18:55
this is a very good question...., easy but tricky
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 46

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 21:54
Tough one, I don't expect such a question on the actual Gmat.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1120

Kudos [?]: 5084 [3] , given: 164

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 19:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
manjeet1972 wrote:

I am not sure how you are assuming speeds, but if you are looking for a relatively theoretical solution, you can think in this way:

Say the cyclist is stationary at a point. Buses are coming from opposite directions (same speed, same time interval). A bus will meet the cyclist every t minutes from either direction. Let's say, a bus from each direction just met him. After t minutes, 2 more buses from opposite directions will meet him again and so on...

Now if the cyclist starts moving, (cyclist speed = c and bus speed = b), the ratio of the relative speeds of the buses is the inverse of the ratio of time taken i.e. it will be 4:12

(b-c):(b+c) = 4:12 which gives you c = (1/2)b

This means that the bus travelling at a relative speed which is half its usual speed (b-c = b/2) takes 12 minutes to meet the man. If it were travelling at its usual speed, it would have taken 12/2 = 6 mins to meet the man.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes   [#permalink] 04 May 2012, 19:13