Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A manufacturer of children toys decided to introduce a new

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 14:40
vivek123 wrote:
Guys,

"D" sounds good but I've answered "E" since I'm not able to kick it out. Can anybody explain why not "E"?

Toys will be costly ---> People who can afford it don't need it ---> No sale

In choosing E, don't you have to assume that Central Air Conditioning can also reduce the risk of cold? But this assumption is not going to affect the argument much and seems out of scope.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Club CR Series # 1 [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 17:05
Praetorian wrote:
1. A manufacturer of children toys decided to introduce a new kind of toy that contains cold prevention medicine. The theory is that a child will not get cold while regularly playing with the toy as the toy would be strengthening the child's body against main cold symptoms.

Which of the following, if true, would lead to the poor sales of the new toy?

a. Children usually spend only 7.5 minutes with any given toy a day.
b. Preventing cold symptoms helps fight cold, but only in children.
c. Pharmaceutical industry is about to introduce a new range of cold prevention candy.
d. Children's bodies develop quickly, which introduces them to new versions of cold each quarter.
e. Families that would be able to afford the new toy have central air conditioning installed in their houses.

i also go with D although E also seems correct. but, the statement has nothing mentioned that central air conditioning does the same job that the toy with cold prevention medicine does. With C, the range is not specific. if the range is lowered, the toy may sill work and vice versa.

in D if the toy works for this qt, it doesnot work for the next qt. but we can say that the toy with the new cold medicin doesnot work for all types of colds.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Club CR Series # 1 [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 18:44
I would choose C myself.

Praetorian wrote:
1. A manufacturer of children toys decided to introduce a new kind of toy that contains cold prevention medicine. The theory is that a child will not get cold while regularly playing with the toy as the toy would be strengthening the child's body against main cold symptoms.

Argument: The toy strengthen child's body against main cold symptoms.
Inference: It will sell good because it is a toy with cold fighting ability.

Quote:
Which of the following, if true, would lead to the poor sales of the new toy?

Try to think as if you are the head of this toy producer. Which of the following would be the one you fear the most?
Quote:
a. Children usually spend only 7.5 minutes with any given toy a day.

No matter. If a parent is presented two toys, each would be played 7.5 minutes by a child, the parent is more likely to buy the one with additional benefit. It will sell good.

Quote:
b. Preventing cold symptoms helps fight cold, but only in children.

This is important, because the toy only prevents symptoms. If that means it helps fighting cold in children, that is very good. We will definitely have good sales.

Quote:
c. Pharmaceutical industry is about to introduce a new range of cold prevention candy.

A competition to the toy. Same ideas, candy that fights cold, and toy that fights cold. They are substitues. We are not alone with that market nitch any more. If a parent has two choices, the candy and our toy, we don't know she would buy the toy for sure. Definitely gonna hurt our sales.

Quote:
d. Children's bodies develop quickly, which introduces them to new versions of cold each quarter.

No matter. Our toy fights cold symptons. It is not targeted to a specific version of virus therefore it doesn't matter which version of cold it is. In addition, if the toy is effective this quater, I'm sure the sale will be good this quarter. Just think about the flu shot. The fact that flu virus changes every time does not hurt the sales of the flu shot. In fact it helps it. A lot. Because each new season we need a new shot again.

Quote:
e. Families that would be able to afford the new toy have central air conditioning installed in their houses.

It's irrelevant. Unless there are documents proving that children live in aire conditioned households don't get cold, which there aren't, having AC doesn't mean parents are not interested in toys that fights cold.

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Correct answer is D [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2006, 03:13
It's a great discussion. Thanks to all who've participated.
The correct answer is, in fact, D.

Here's my logic:

a. is insufficient to draw any conclusions. we do not know how long a child needs to be around the toy for the toy to 'work', so, based on this we cannot predict the sales of the toy.
b. this actually strengthens the argument for good sales. what is says is that 'this toy helps kids not have cold'.
c. there is no information as to the price of the candy, no information as to how comparable the candy can be to the toy. will it be more effective or just as effective? i would argue that the candy and the toy cannot be compared. in some instances candy is more useful, as you just give it to the kid, especially as most kids love candy so they would most probably beg you for it. on the other hand, though, it is easier to simply have the toy close to the kid for some time each day (whatever that time is). candy runs out. the toy would not.
d. this is the right answer. as children bodies develop so quickly, there has to be a prevention mechanism that would either work through many phases of the development or that would be adjusted to age (candy could be adjusted, but there is no info about that here). the stem says that the toy would prevent against 'main cold symptoms'. Treating the symptoms or preventing the symptoms does not mean there is no disease! if there is a new version of cold each quarter, there has to be a new version of the medicine/prevention.
e. is out of scoope. this could just as well say that those people have their own sattelites, or whatever.

i have to apologize to all those who are puzzled by this question. but, on the other hand, i see that many people were thinking about it, which is great in preparing for the test!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2006, 05:07
Hmm... well. Pretty predictable logic, but still not convincing. All the arguments were discussed above, so I don't want to repeat them.

Great job, anyway!
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2006, 09:42
ps_dahiya wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
Guys,

"D" sounds good but I've answered "E" since I'm not able to kick it out. Can anybody explain why not "E"?

In choosing E, don't you have to assume that Central Air Conditioning can also reduce the risk of cold? But this assumption is not going to affect the argument much and seems out of scope.

Point noted :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2006, 13:08
We are looking for the case which would make the toy useless.

choice C introduces a candy. well, either candy or toy, or may be both could be used to fight cold. Those who would prefer candy, may stop using it since the total cost of consuming candy might be higher than buying one single toy. And you never know whether the kid is going to like the taste of this candy.

choice D for sure would make you think twice before buying the toy. The toy might be a good one for the kid now, but what is going to happen after three months? wouldn't the parents think before buying a toy which might run out of use after three weeks?

So, D poses serious threat to sales than C does and hence the answer.

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2006, 05:50
vivek123 wrote:
Guys,

Catch a cold does not mean the same as get cold. E is a trap answer for those who misunderstand the evidence.

As for the candy, yes it could pose a risk to sales but in GMAT fantasyland it is simply OUT OF SCOPE.

(D) wins by a mile because it points to a flaw in the new product. Parents will be reluctant to buy more toys if they are only useful for a few months at a time. ---> lower sales.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2006, 20:06
GMATT73 wrote:
E is a trap answer for those who misunderstand the evidence.

True for any wrong answer on CR ;)
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2006, 02:00
vivek123 wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
E is a trap answer for those who misunderstand the evidence.

True for any wrong answer on CR ;)

Sorry, buddy Vivek, I meant to say that "catch a cold" can be a misleading idiom. As for wrong answers, that`s all I seem to be getting these days :oops: :oops: :oops:
  [#permalink] 09 Jul 2006, 02:00