Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 09:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A manufacturer of children toys decided to introduce a new

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 659 [0], given: 781

A manufacturer of children toys decided to introduce a new [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 09:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:11) wrong based on 1 sessions
1. A manufacturer of children toys decided to introduce a new kind of toy that contains cold prevention medicine. The theory is that a child will not get cold while regularly playing with the toy as the toy would be strengthening the child's body against main cold symptoms.

Which of the following, if true, would lead to the poor sales of the new toy?

a. Children usually spend only 7.5 minutes with any given toy a day.
b. Preventing cold symptoms helps fight cold, but only in children.
c. Pharmaceutical industry is about to introduce a new range of cold prevention candy.
d. Children's bodies develop quickly, which introduces them to new versions of cold each quarter.
e. Families that would be able to afford the new toy have central air conditioning installed in their houses.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 09:43
Hmmm..."E"
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 09:44
(D) I think...

A) The question stem does not mention the duration of contact with the toy; only that regularly playing would prevent cold. Not strong enough.
B) Yup, and children are the target sector. This strengthens the argument. Not the answer.
C) So what? Children can have both toys and candy!
D) If the version of cold changes, then the toy would be ineffective after a maximum of one quarter, which makes it a waste of money. [Answer]
E) Air-conditioning? Huh?!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 09:56
one more D...

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 10:10
Is it a smell of a Verbal Challenge in the air or am I dreaming? :lol:

C.

The only one that provide a clear reason for bad sales. A competitor with
a cheaper substitute. Would you buy a toy if a candy could do the trick?
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 11:48
deowl wrote:

C.

BTW where its written that the candy is cheaper????

I think this should be D.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 11:57
I think it is C as well...

D IMO has the same problem... where does it say that new toy doesn't prevent children that are a quarter older from the new cold symptoms...

I think with C it is not an assumption that candy is cheaper, but rather, the fact that children like candy more, than they would play with a toy...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 12:01
ps_dahiya wrote:
deowl wrote:

C.

BTW where its written that the candy is cheaper????

I think this should be D.

Good point, ps_dahiya

However, even if it is not, the logic stays the same. Only a competitor, whatever its prices, is a clear threat for future sales.

Now to your choice. D is not a reason for bad sales, as the information that hamburgers are not healthy were not a threat to McDonalds until this information became a common knowledge. D doesn't say that the consumers will be aware of this fact, it only states the fact. So the fact itself , without being widely known, is never a threat. However, a lie, even not being a fact , but being widely known is. But this is already another story of course :wink:
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 12:04
Hmmm - I'm beginning to side with C.

The choice introduces a competitor that could drag down sales (Lets keep child psychology and physiology out of scope).

D on the other hand... would not change matters. The question mentions that the toy protects against the MAIN cold symptoms, which means different versions of cold would be handled, and a quarterly change should not make the toy any less effective.

Perhaps the question should be rephrased as - 'could bring down sales' instead of 'would bring down sales'
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Club CR Series # 1 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 13:49
Praetorian wrote:
1. A manufacturer of children toys decided to introduce a new kind of toy that contains cold prevention medicine. The theory is that a child will not get cold while regularly playing with the toy as the toy would be strengthening the child's body against main cold symptoms.

Which of the following, if true, would lead to the poor sales of the new toy?

a. Children usually spend only 7.5 minutes with any given toy a day.
b. Preventing cold symptoms helps fight cold, but only in children.
c. Pharmaceutical industry is about to introduce a new range of cold prevention candy.
d. Children's bodies develop quickly, which introduces them to new versions of cold each quarter.
e. Families that would be able to afford the new toy have central air conditioning installed in their houses.

I'm going with A. The theory is that the toy protects children from the cold only if they play regularly with it. It can be concluded that that lesser time spent playing with the toy, the lesser the benefit the toy would have.

B is irrelevant. We are discussing children's health so, if the medicine does not work for others, we don't care.

C There's nothing to say that the new candy will be preferred by the children or that it will sell better.

D This may weaken reasons for buying the toy but you would need to add to this to prove that it would result in the toy not selling. For example, you would need to prove that the new variants of cold will not be protected against by the medicine in the toy. Too much speculation, IMO.

E There's no relation between air-conditioning and a toy in the argument, irrelevant
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 659 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 15:08
thank you all for helping us out.

The Answer is D.

Please forgive me, but I dont have an official explanation yet. Also, please take the GMAT as a learning experience. Its imperative to be wrong.

Verbal Challenges were always part of the plan. I am not saying that we will never do it, but it takes a lot of dedication to pull it off. The software, the questions, the explanations, the quality checks etc. can be very very exhausting.

Math challenges took us more than a year to develop. If you received access to challenges because of your contributions, you cannot imagine how much respect we have for your spending time here.

thanks again
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 20:08
Praetorian wrote:
thank you all for helping us out.

The Answer is D.

Please forgive me, but I dont have an official explanation yet. Also, please take the GMAT as a learning experience. Its imperative to be wrong.

Verbal Challenges were always part of the plan. I am not saying that we will never do it, but it takes a lot of dedication to pull it off. The software, the questions, the explanations, the quality checks etc. can be very very exhausting.

Math challenges took us more than a year to develop. If you received access to challenges because of your contributions, you cannot imagine how much respect we have for your spending time here.

thanks again

Praetorian

Please see my explanation above why D cannot be the best answer.
I know that this is your question and that you can choose any answer you wish , but I am afraid that your logic is not pretty much in line with that of GMAT.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 21:04
AgreeD.
D states that children's body develops quickly exposing them to newer version of cold and hence rendering the toy useless.
Why to buy a toy when it is no more effective or is bound to be ineffective very soon ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 21:25
buzzgaurav wrote:
AgreeD.
D states that children's body develops quickly exposing them to newer version of cold and hence rendering the toy useless.
Why to buy a toy when it is no more effective or is bound to be ineffective very soon ?

How do you know that it will be useless with the new versions of cold? Does the stem say that the toy can deal with only one version? No. Does the stem mention that different versions of cold need different medicine? Not at all. Penicillin, for example, can not only deal with different versions of the same bacteria, it can perfectly fight with multiple kinds of different bacteria at once. So it is too much speculations. D clearly cannot be an answer. At least in my humble opinion.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 22:13
deowl wrote:
buzzgaurav wrote:
AgreeD.

How do you know that it will be useless with the new versions of cold? Does the stem say that the toy can deal with only one version? No. Does the stem mention that different versions of cold need different medicine? Not at all. Penicillin, for example, can not only deal with different versions of the same bacteria, it can perfectly fight with multiple kinds of different bacteria at once. So it is too much speculations. D clearly cannot be an answer. At least in my humble opinion.

I agree with you on some points that you made. But don't you think that for C to be correct ,we have to make two assumptions that children really like candys more than toys and that candy is infact cheaper than toy to really pose a threat to the sales of toys ????
The reason for decline in sales can either be that the product itself is less effective or that there's a new product in market that is better than the former one. We cannot say for sure that the candy is definitely better than the toy, in my opinion.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 22:28
buzzgaurav wrote:
deowl wrote:
buzzgaurav wrote:
AgreeD.

I agree with you on some points that you made. But don't you think that for C to be correct ,we have to make two assumptions that children really like candys more than toys and that candy is infact cheaper than toy to really pose a threat to the sales of toys ????
The reason for decline in sales can either be that the product itself is less effective or that there's a new product in market that is better than the former one. We cannot say for sure that the candy is definitely better than the toy, in my opinion.

Exactly. This is what I was thinking when I answered the question in my post above.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 23:02
ps_dahiya wrote:
buzzgaurav wrote:

Exactly. This is what I was thinking when I answered the question in my post above.

No, I don't think so. First of all, it is not the preferences of children that can influence the sales, but those of their parents. As to your second objection, the quality or prices of a product does not necessarily ensure the victory. The marketing techniques of the seller do. Lets recall the (in)famous struggle of IE with Netscape. Was IE better then Netsape? I doubt. Was it cheaper? No, both were free for personal usage. However unbeatable marketing of Microsoft that included the IE within its operation system is what practically wiped the Netscape out. So should we actually assume that the candy will be cheaper , stronger or somehow better that the toy? I don't think so. The mere fact of introduction of a competitive product, with such a serious supporting company at its back, can severely influence the sales of the toy.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 23:11
deowl wrote:
ps_dahiya wrote:
buzzgaurav wrote:

No, I don't think so. First of all, it is not the preferences of children that can influence the sales, but those of their parents. As to your second objection, the quality or prices of a product does not necessarily ensure the victory. The marketing techniques of the seller do. Lets recall the (in)famous struggle of IE with Netscape. Was IE better then Netsape? I doubt. Was it cheaper? No, both were free for personal usage. However unbeatable marketing of Microsoft that included the IE within its operation system is what practically wiped the Netscape out. So should we actually assume that the candy will be cheaper , stronger or somehow better that the toy? I don't think so. The mere fact of introduction of a competitive product, with such a serious supporting company at its back, can severely influence the sales of the toy.

I totally agree with you. No offence, but don't you think we have to stick to the argument instead of getting into analysis of marketing strategies of the real world. By choosing C we are thinking too far from the argument.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 00:29
Well, I would agree with you if it were real GMAT question. Indeed,
we are not looking for the truth, but rather have one very specific goal with these CRs: to get 7+ and forget it as a nightmare. However it is not a real test question, so the arguing does make sense here. And, IMO, one has to make many more unsupported assumptions with D, for example, then with C.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 04:51
Guys,

"D" sounds good but I've answered "E" since I'm not able to kick it out. Can anybody explain why not "E"?

Toys will be costly ---> People who can afford it don't need it ---> No sale
  [#permalink] 03 Jul 2006, 04:51