Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 05:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A marketing firm determined that, of 200 households

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A marketing firm determined that, of 200 households [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2008, 00:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:59) correct 35% (01:14) wrong based on 142 sessions
A marketing firm determined that, of 200 households surveyed, 80 used neither Brand A nor Brand B soap, 60 used only Brand A soap, and for every household that used both brands of soap, 3 used only Brand B soap. How many of the 200 households surveyed used both brands of soap?

A) 15
B) 20
C) 30
D) 40
E) 45

Official Guide 12 Question

GMAT Official Guide 12

Question: 6
Page: 21
Difficulty: 700

Find All Official Guide Questions

Video Explanations:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: OG #6--marketing firm [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2008, 00:58
redbeanaddict wrote:
A marketing firm determined that, of 200 households surveyed, 80 used neither Brand A nor Brand B soap, 60 used only Brand A soap, and for every household that used both brands of soap, 3 used only Brand B soap. How many of the 200 households surveyed used both brands of soap?
a. 15
b. 20
c. 30
d. 40
e. 45
My answer was different from the answer given by OG. Help!

Let me take a shot ->

out of 200 80 are not using either A or B, so total household of concern = 200-80 = 120
Only Brand A = 60
Only Brand B = 3x
Both A and B = x

So -> 60+x+3x = 120 => x= 15

I Got A as an answer
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Re: OG #6--marketing firm [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2008, 05:53
redbeanaddict wrote:
a. 15
b. 20
c. 30
d. 40
e. 45

total surveyed=200 households
neither Brand A nor Brand B soap = 80
households that use one of the 2 brands atleast=200-80=120
Out of these 120, 60 use only brand A, therefore rest 60 consist of households that use only brand B+households that use both the brands.
ratio of both to only B is 1:3 this means if
households that use both the brands = x, then
households that use only brand B = 3x
60=x+3x
therefore x=15.
Ans is (A)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG #6--marketing firm [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2008, 20:16
redbeanaddict wrote:
a. 15
b. 20
c. 30
d. 40
e. 45

Shouldn't the equation be
Total= Brand A-both brands+Brand B+Neither?
200=60-x+3x+80
so x=30 ?( uses both brand a and B)
I've always used this formula...
Manager
Manager

Re: OG #6--marketing firm [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2008, 09:06
redbeanaddict wrote:
redbeanaddict wrote:
a. 15
b. 20
c. 30
d. 40
e. 45

200=60-x+3x+80

the formula is correct but the way its been interpreted is little incorrect - let me clarify:

Total= Brand A-both brands+Brand B+Neither
here, brand A=only brand A+both brands
and brand B=only brand B+both brands
now use this in your formula and instead of getting a "-x" you would end up with a "+x" in your equation and that would make your answer as x=15.

Hope that helps.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 428 [1] , given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG #6--marketing firm [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2008, 09:20
This post received
KUDOS
See Below:

Attachment:
SurveyResults.jpg
SurveyResults.jpg [ 23.23 KiB | Viewed 9501 times ]

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG #6--marketing firm [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 04:10
jallenmorris wrote:
See Below:

Attachment:
SurveyResults.jpg

OA is A. I still don't get it. I thought formula for these types of question should be:
Total=A+B-Both A/B+Neither ???
I'm really confused
2 KUDOS received
CIO
CIO

Kudos [?]: 24 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG #6--marketing firm [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 04:12
This post received
KUDOS
I use a completely different system for these kinds of questions. It works every single time, as long as there are two groups (if there are three, I use the venn diagram).

Draw a 3 by 3 box, as in the diagram. All rows add down to the bottom row, and all columns add across to the right column. The bottom right box is the total of the whole system.

Fill in what is given, and then infer what is not.

Then answer the question.

In my attached example, the black numbers are given, the red ones are what is inferred.

Once finished, in this question, see that the right column adds all the way down and has one variable:

4x + 140 = 200
x = 15

In this case, the boxes with the question marks are irrelevant, so I leave them alone. In other types of questions, you may fill them in.

Try it on other ones. It will never be confusing again.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Attachment:
grouping box.JPG
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 4

Re: Word Problem...! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 22:33
This post received
KUDOS
You should think of these question in a graphical way. So the best way to represent this question is to quickly draw a set.
Look below for the picture. Inside the set we have quantity of ONLY Brand A, ONLY Brand B, BOTH Brands A&B, and NEITHER Brands A&B. The outside number (200 in this case) represents the TOTAL amount.

From your question (and my graph) you can create the following equation:

200 = 60 + x + 3x + 80;
200 = 4x + 140;
60 = 4x
15 = x

As you can see "x" represents the quantity of both A and B brands being used. So the answer is B.

Now, I think that you are having problem because of the English since the statement "for every household that used both brands of soap, 3 used only Brand B soap" means that Brand B was used 3 times more than both A and B by the same household [and not in total].

I hope it helps.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Attachment:
Set.jpg
Set.jpg [ 155.83 KiB | Viewed 9524 times ]

If the post is helpful, kudos appreciated!

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3360

Kudos [?]: 24351 [2] , given: 2677

Re: confusing wording [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

A. 15
B. 20
C. 30
D. 40
E. 50

Given:
Attachment:
Brands.JPG
Brands.JPG [ 12.11 KiB | Viewed 9189 times ]
The bold part means that if x used both A and B, then 3x used only B (but not A). So, 4x+140=200 --> x=15.

Answer: A.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3360

Kudos [?]: 24351 [1] , given: 2677

Re: Help with Venn Diagrams... [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sivai87 wrote:
Hi, Please help on the below question.

(A) 15
(B) 20
(C) 30
(D) 40
(E) 45

This is one of the problems in diagnostic test in OG12.

Total # of Soap (A+B) = Total of brand A + Total of Brand B + Neither Brand A nor Brand B - Both.

From the question we have,
(A+B) = 200
Neither Brand A nor Brand B = 80
Only Brand A = 60
Let household # using both the brands be "B" and so the no of house holds using Brand B is 3B.

From the eqn above we have,

200 = 80+60+3B-B

2B = 60, and finally B = 30.

But 30 is wrong... :( Where am I doing the mistake. Plz help....
( I understand the steps explained in OG. But why this methodology is not working out here. Believe there is no problem with the formula though)

If we do the way you are doing then:

Total=A+B-Both+Neither. Let the # of housholds that use both A and B be x, then # of households that use only B will be 3x.

Total=200;
A=60+x;
B=x+3x
Both=x;
Neither=80;

200=(60+x)+(x+3x)-x+80 --> x=15

Answer: A.

Also merging with earlier discussion to see different approaches.

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: confusing wording [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 21:10
So 200 - 80 = 120 use at least 1 brand of soap.

120 = only A + only B + both

Only B = B - both

and only B = 3 * both

So 120 = 60 + 4 * both

=> both = 60/4 = 15

Hence the answer is A.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 26

Re: OG #6--marketing firm [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 16:17
the formula is correct but the way its been interpreted is little incorrect - let me clarify:

now use this in your formula and instead of getting a "-x" you would end up with a "+x" in your equation and that would make your answer as x=15.

Hope that helps.[/quote]

When using the formula Total= Brand A + Brand B- both brands +Neither, brand A and brand b have to be double counted. In the sense that each needs to include those that only use their brand and those that use both. Hence for this question, we are given "60 used ONLY brand A" and "for every household that used both brands, 3 used ONLY brand B" there is no double counting. Thus, we should tweak the formula to be Total= Brand A + Brand B + both brands +Neither
Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: A marketing firm determined that, of 200 households [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 23:33
redbeanaddict wrote:

A) 15
B) 20
C) 30
D) 40
E) 45

Official Guide 12 Question

GMAT Official Guide 12

Question: 6
Page: 21
Difficulty: 700

Find All Official Guide Questions

Video Explanations:

missed certain key values and got B...now i realize why the correct answer is A..its a straight calculation

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: OG #6--marketing firm [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 13:36
aviator83 wrote:
redbeanaddict wrote:
redbeanaddict wrote:
a. 15
b. 20
c. 30
d. 40
e. 45

200=60-x+3x+80

Hope that helps.

I've always used this formula too, and it does work. However this problem is worded a little weird and I misinterpreted it too, the way you setup the equation is wrong, mainly because like me, you didn't understand the ""and for every household that used both brands of soap, 3 used only Brand B soap" properly, this represents B - AB = 3(AB) not B = 3(AB)

Total = A + B + N - AB can be expanded to:

Total = (A - AB) + (B - AB) + N + AB

200 = 60 + 3AB + 80 + AB

200 = 60 + 80 + 4AB

60 = 4AB

15 = AB

or the way you set it up using x

200=60 + 4x +80

I think like most problems there's more than a few ways to get it wrong. Took me a LONG time to figure out where I went wrong, hope this clarifies the one way I got it wrong based on that formula.
Re: OG #6--marketing firm   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2012, 13:36