Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 16:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A math teacher has 30 cards, each of which is in the shape

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 136

A math teacher has 30 cards, each of which is in the shape [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 05:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (02:35) correct 48% (01:45) wrong based on 61 sessions
A math teacher has 30 cards, each of which is in the shape of a geometric figure. Half of the cards are rectangles, and a third of the cards are rhombuses. If 8 cards are squares, what is the maximum possible number of cards that re circles.

A. 9
B. 10
C. 11
D. 12
E. 13
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Last edited by Bunuel on 25 Jul 2012, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 551 [1] , given: 43

Re: A math teacher has 30 cards, each of which [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 06:15
This post received
KUDOS
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi

Request you to please post your reasoning on the below question:

A math teacher has 30 cards, each of which is in the shape of a geometric figure. Half of the cards are rectangles, and a third of the cards are rhombuses. If 8 cards are squares, what is the maximum possible number of cards that re circles.

a) 9
b) 10
c) 11
d) 12
e)13

Squares are both rectangles and rhombuses. Circles are neither rectangles, nor rhombuses.
There are 15 rectangles and 10 rhombuses.
Using a Venn diagram or a 2 X 2 table, we can deduce that the maximum number of cards that re circles is 30 - (15 + 10 - 8) = 13.

Answer: E

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [3] , given: 3

Re: A math teacher has 30 cards, each of which [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 06:16
This post received
KUDOS
Remember:
a square is a special kind of rhombus (sides are perpendicular)
a square is a special kind of rectangles (sides with same length)

Among the 30 cards with have:
15 rectangles
10 rhombus
8 squares

Among the 15 rectangles, there could be 8 special ones (with sides of same length) that are squares. That lets at least 7 rectangles that are not square.
Among the 10 rectangles, there could be 8 special ones (with sides perpendicular) that are squares. That lets at least 2 rhombus that are not square.
We have 8 squares.
So the minimum different cards that represent a square, a rhombus or a rectangle is 2 + 7 + 8 = 17
Which means that the maximum number of circles that you could have is 30 - 17 = 13

Answer (E)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A math teacher has 30 cards, each of which is in the shape [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 16:06
can anyone actually get me 13 non-rectangular AND non-rhombus shape cards out of 30 cards with the specifications clearly stated half of the 30 cards (15 cards) are rectangular (including some square cards) and one third of the 30 cards (10 cards) are rhombus (including some square cards)??????

clearly the question stem stated there are 25 cards that is the combination of rectangular shape and rhombus shape.. there are 8 cards within the 25 cards so 25-8=13 cards are non square but still either rectangular or rhombus.. so the non-rectangular AND non-rhombus shape only has 5 spots left in a hand of 30 cards..

i know van-diagram or matrix is what the test or the study of the test want people to go with.. but that is not reasoning and in fact in real life that can never happen.. if anyone disagrees and can make me a hand of 30 cards with exactly what the question stem asked and have 13 circle (non-rectangular AND non-rhombus) cards in real life, let me know!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: A math teacher has 30 cards, each of which is in the shape [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 16:57
Ellexuxin GMAT does not tests real world practicality; rather it tests practicality within the constraints given in the problem.
Re: A math teacher has 30 cards, each of which is in the shape   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2013, 16:57