Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 21:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 124 [2] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 14:23
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (02:57) correct 56% (02:10) wrong based on 343 sessions
A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant tragedies by the Greek playwright uripides. Of these, ten called the “select plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also appear in other medieval manuscripts; this group includes some of Euripides’ best-known works, including the Medea. The other eight, which appear in alphabetical order, without commentary. The Electra is one of the alphabeticals.

Which of the following can be reliably concluded on the basis of the
Statements given?

A. Only Euripides’ best-known works are accompanied by ancient commentaries in extant medieval manuscripts.

B. The select plays are accompanied by ancient commentaries because they were the best known of Euripides’ works.

C. No commentaries were written about Euripides’ Electra in ancient times.

D. Euripides’ Medeanever appears in medieval manuscripts unaccompanied by ancient commentary.

E. Euripides’ Electra does not appear accompanied by a commentary in any extant medieval manuscript
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: gwd #26 V18 [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 14:38
So weird question... I don't agree with any of those answer choices.

a. We don't know and "only" is too extreme.

b. Some of the select plays are Euripides's best known work, so we cannot assume or say with the passage that the whole select plays are the best known work

c. Commentaries might have been written about Electra in ancient times since we cannot assume with the passage that Electra only appears in the medival manuscript called L and that also the L is the only extant medival manuscript.

d. We don't know "never" is too exterme.

e. We don't know anything about other extant medival manuscript.

"Now there is one little step. Notice how the "select plays" differ from "the alphabeticals" in that they are ALSO found in other medieval manuscripts. Therefore the "other eight" are not found in medieval manuscripts ------> Electra does not appear in other ancient manuscripts. The only manuscript it does appear in it is not accompanied by commentary. Thus (E)."

This is explanation of a GMAT instructor from another GMAT website.
I can't see how the bold part makes sense. The passage mentions that the select plays have commentary whereas other other eight don't, but the passage doesn't mention anything that implies the select plays are different from the other eight in that they also found in other medieval manuscripts.

I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this issue.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: gwd #26 V18 [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 20:20
This post received
KUDOS
E makes a little sense.

Argument states :
Of these, ten called the “select plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also appear in other medieval manuscripts.
=> Rest eight (Electra one of them) appear in L only

Argument also states :
Other eight (Electra one of them), which appear in alphabetical order, without commentary
=> Electra also doesn't appear with any commentary

Combining both inferences :
Electra doesn't appear in anywhere with commentary because it appeared only in L and that is without commentary.

Does it make sense?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 645 [2] , given: 6

Re: gwd #26 V18 [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 20:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
eybrj2 wrote:

"Now there is one little step. Notice how the "select plays" differ from "the alphabeticals" in that they are ALSO found in other medieval manuscripts. Therefore the "other eight" are not found in medieval manuscripts ------> Electra does not appear in other ancient manuscripts. The only manuscript it does appear in it is not accompanied by commentary. Thus (E)."

I can't see how the bold part makes sense. The passage mentions that the select plays have commentary whereas other other eight don't, but the passage doesn't mention anything that implies the select plays are different from the other eight in that they also found in other medieval manuscripts.

The statement *does* reference that those "select" plays also appear in other medieval manuscripts.

"Of these, ten called the “select plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also appear in other medieval manuscripts;"

So what it's saying here is that these 10 were so popular they were also captured in other manuscripts out there, not just this "L" one. This "L" happens to also include 8 additional "less known" plays. The "Electra" is a lesser known play and doesn't have commentary as is described since it is among the "8".

We know that the 10 were "also in other manuscripts" => kind of implying that the remaining 8 were not. The 8 did not have commentary and were not as known. Most likely they were not in other manuscripts. So (E) says that Electra does not appear with a commentary in ANY manuscript. Well the only one that it *appears* to be in does NOT have a commentary - so (E) seems to be a valid conclusion. Note (E) mentions the word "appear" so we don't know for sure but it's highly likely based on what we inferred - that it doesn't have commentary in ANY manuscript.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 13

Re: gwd #26 V18 [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 18:53
Vote for E

from the statement
"The other eight, which appear in alphabetical order, without commentary. The Electra is one of the alphabeticals."

we can clearly derive ans "E"

"C" is close relative but not a correct option because we dont know nything about the "ancient times"
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 12

Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 20:32
I would go for E as well. It seems the best and safest among the rest.

Although the CR's question stem and answer choices are badly worded. Definitely not from a reliable source. :x

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 21

Re: gwd #26 V18 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2013, 00:15
GMATPill wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:

The statement *does* reference that those "select" plays also appear in other medieval manuscripts.

"Of these, ten called the “select plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also appear in other medieval manuscripts;"

So what it's saying here is that these 10 were so popular they were also captured in other manuscripts out there, not just this "L" one. This "L" happens to also include 8 additional "less known" plays. The "Electra" is a lesser known play and doesn't have commentary as is described since it is among the "8".

We know that the 10 were "also in other manuscripts" => kind of implying that the remaining 8 were not. The 8 did not have commentary and were not as known. Most likely they were not in other manuscripts. So (E) says that Electra does not appear with a commentary in ANY manuscript. Well the only one that it *appears* to be in does NOT have a commentary - so (E) seems to be a valid conclusion. Note (E) mentions the word "appear" so we don't know for sure but it's highly likely based on what we inferred - that it doesn't have commentary in ANY manuscript.

In that aspect even C should be right too...C says 'No commentaries were written about Euripides’ Electra in ancient times.'..

You proved that Electra is present only in L not in any other script. Hence there is no way Electra get comments in any other scripts too as it is present only in L..Hence there are no commentaries written about Electra????

Can some one help me in eliminating C
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q50 V14
GMAT 2: 630 Q48 V29
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 60

Reviews Badge
Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2013, 04:36
Although, I got this question wrong. After analysing it, I agree that E is the correct answer. The following is the way I got E as correct answer:-
Read the argument carefully and try to understand it using Set Theory (sub sets), I think this strategy helps in understanding this argument more better here.

First to narrow down to correct choice by deleting other choices
Choice A:- "Only Euripides’ best-known works are accompanied by ancient commentaries in extant medieval manuscripts." The word "Only" helps in deleting this choice as "Some of Euripides" are there in L Manuscript and Some in other Manuscript

Choice B:- "The select plays are accompanied by ancient commentaries because they were the best known of Euripides’ works." The argument never states choice B and select plays are not because of best known of Euripides. so this choice is also wrong.

Choice C:- "No commentaries were written about Euripides’ Electra in ancient times." Appears to be right. Lets keep at present

Choice D:- "Euripides’ Medeanever appears in medieval manuscripts unaccompanied by ancient commentary." Out of Scope statement, so wrong.

Choice E:- "Euripides’ Electra does not appear accompanied by a commentary in any extant medieval manuscript" Appears to be right.

Now lets discuss on choice C and E

Choice C is stressing on Commentaries, stating that No Commentaries were written about Euripides’ Electra which we are not aware and there is second flaw in the choice, which is "ancient times". The choice C generalizes on ancient times, which is incorrect.

Hence the only choice remains is E which clearly states "Euripides’ Electra does not appear accompanied by a commentary in any extant medieval manuscript"
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q50 V14
GMAT 2: 630 Q48 V29
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 60

Reviews Badge
Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2013, 04:40
Further to my post on explaining the answer, I am posting a .jpeg file which explains the argument. The pictorial sub set view of the argument will help in choosing the answer too
Attachments

File comment: I have tried to explain the question using set theory, this helps in easy understanding of the question
Medevial Manuscript (MM).jpg
Medevial Manuscript (MM).jpg [ 39.45 KiB | Viewed 2032 times ]

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 569 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: gwd #26 V18 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 06:41
This post received
KUDOS
adityapagadala wrote:
GMATPill wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:

In that aspect even C should be right too...C says 'No commentaries were written about Euripides’ Electra in ancient times.'..

You proved that Electra is present only in L not in any other script. Hence there is no way Electra get comments in any other scripts too as it is present only in L..Hence there are no commentaries written about Electra????

Can some one help me in eliminating C

C is not correct beacause you cannot say for sure that 'No commentaries were written about Euripides’ Electra in ancient times.'..
NO is kind a very specific word means you are sure about what you say.
option E wins because APPEAR comes into play....it means it appears to you as per the argument but it can be incorrect.

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern
Schools: AGSM '16
WE: Accounting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 02:55
Though I did answer correctly, I only did so because other answers were even further away.

None of the answers can be 'reliably concluded on the basis of the statements'.

E states that "Euripides’ Electra does not appear accompanied by a commentary in any extant medieval manuscript".

In the question only one such manuscript is discussed and no statements on whether it's the only extant medieval manuscript with Electra.
Though it is in a list that is not 'best-known works', still we cannot assume that such term applies to any work that has been found in 2 manuscripts.

It does say 'appears', but this is an incredibly long shot, because it asks about "'reliably concluded", we cannot reliably conclude on multiple things based on only one if they are not connected.

Another argument for E: "Of these, ten called the “select plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also appear in other medieval manuscripts", this doesn't mean that plays from alphabetical lists do not appear in other medieval manuscripts.

"Are X and Y" - obviously means both conditions simultaniously,
"Are X and, also Y" - hm, maybe this "also" is the case? It might mean ANY of the two condition is what separates 'select plays' from other.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 12

Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink] New post 22 May 2014, 04:56
A quick note, I noticed that the text is different from the question that I've seen myself. (Green = from GMAT Prep exam pack 1 // Red = seen around GMAT Club)
This would help to make it clearer, as the text says that the eight appear ONLY in L.

---

The other eight, which appear only in L, are called the "alphabeticals" because they appear in alphabetical order, without commentary.

A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant tragedies
by the Greek playwright Euripides. Of these, ten called the “select
plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also
appear in other medieval manuscripts; this group includes some of
Euripides’ best-known works, including the Medea. The other eight,
which appear in alphabetical order, without commentary. The Electra is
one of the alphabeticals.

Which of the following can be reliably concluded on the basis of the
Statements given?
Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant   [#permalink] 22 May 2014, 04:56