Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 02:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A Medium question, pls help me to explain

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

A Medium question, pls help me to explain [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 02:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

67% (01:42) correct 33% (00:48) wrong based on 9 sessions
If x is the product of three consecutive positive integers, which of the following must be true?

I. x is an integer multiple of 3.

II. x is an integer multiple of 4

III. x is an integer multiple of 6

a) I only
b) II only
c) I and II only
d) I and III only
e) I,II and III

pls tell the process of calculation.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Medium question, pls help me to explain [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 04:13
tracyyahoo wrote:
If x is the product of three consecutive positive integers, which of the following must be true?

a) I only
b) II only
c) I and II only
d) I and III only
e) I,II and III

The answer should be D i.e. X will be an integer and multiple of 3 and 6.

Let us take example n, n+1, n+2 as 3 three consecutive positive integers.
In a sequence of consecutive integers a number is multiple of 3 after every interval of 2 numbers i.e 3,4,5,6 Or 8,9,10,11,12
Hence in a product of 3 consecutive integers, the product is always divisible by 3.
Now, in a consecutive sequence every alternate is an even number, and when an even number is multiplied by 3 we will have 6 as one of the multiple also.

Now for a number to be a multiple of 4 we need at least 2 2's. this is only possible if the first number of three consecutive positive integers is an even number so that 3 is also even and we have 2 2's. But incase the sequence starts with odd we will have one 2 hence, the divisibility by 4 depends on the first number to be even
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: A Medium question, pls help me to explain [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 20:45
suppose we have 4 plus 5 plus 6. The sum of these three integer is not multipled by 6. Could explain me why II is correct as well. Thank u.

Sudhanshuacharya wrote:
tracyyahoo wrote:

a) I only
b) II only
c) I and II only
d) I and III only
e) I,II and III

In a sequence of consecutive integers a number is multiple of 3 after every interval of 2 numbers i.e 3,4,5,6 Or 8,9,10,11,12
Hence in a product of 3 consecutive integers, the product is always divisible by 3.
Now, in a consecutive sequence every alternate is an even number, and when an even number is multiplied by 3 we will have 6 as one of the multiple also.

Now for a number to be a multiple of 4 we need at least 2 2's. this is only possible if the first number of three consecutive positive integers is an even number so that 3 is also even and we have 2 2's. But incase the sequence starts with odd we will have one 2 hence, the divisibility by 4 depends on the first number to be even

Posted from my mobile device Image
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 898 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Medium question, pls help me to explain [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 20:49
tracyyahoo wrote:
suppose we have 4 plus 5 plus 6. The sum of these three integer is not multipled by 6. Could explain me why II is correct as well. Thank u.

The question says Product, not sum.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Medium question, pls help me to explain [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 00:53
tracyyahoo wrote:

Sudhanshuacharya wrote:
tracyyahoo wrote:

a) I only
b) II only
c) I and II only
d) I and III only
e) I,II and III

Posted from my mobile device Image

Tracy: I guess the question is asking for product of 3 numbers and not addition.
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '16, ISB '16
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: A Medium question, pls help me to explain [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 03:29
Product of three consecutive integers
a) it will always be a multiple of 3 as every third number is a multiple of 3
b) it is not necessary a multiple of 4 e.g. 5,6,7. The product of these numbers is not a multiple of 4
c) the product of 3 consecutive numbers is a multiple of 6(3 and 2) as, it will be a multiple of 3 and every 2nd number is a multiple of 2. So the product will be a multiple of 6

Hence, the answer is D
Re: A Medium question, pls help me to explain   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2011, 03:29