Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A migraine typically afflicts one side of the head, lasts

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

A migraine typically afflicts one side of the head, lasts [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2008, 22:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

77% (01:39) correct 23% (00:44) wrong based on 39 sessions
14. A migraine typically afflicts one side of the head, lasts for hours or days, and may recur as infrequently as one every other month or often, as daily.
(A) as infrequently as once every other month or often,as
(B) as infrequently as once every other month or as often as
(C) infrequently, as often as once every other month, or often, like
(D) infrequently, like once every other month, or often, like
(E) infrequently, like once every other month, or as often as
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 14/1000 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2008, 00:31
IMO B. Kindly also check whether the original sentence has a type ("one" vs "once").
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC 14/1000 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2008, 00:35
14. A migraine typically afflicts one side of the head, lasts for hours or days, and may recur as infrequently as once every other month or often, as daily

^^^above is the right question...

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: A migraine typically afflicts one side of the head, lasts [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 07:46
Hi,

Is the answer B, 'cause of the following (idioms):
as infrequently as...
& as often as...

Please comment.

Regards,

My posts: Solving Inequalities, Solving Simultaneous equations, Divisibility Rules

My story: 640 What a blunder!

Vocabulary resource: EdPrep

Facebook page: fb.com/EdPrep

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1263

Kudos [?]: 3506 [1] , given: 185

Re: A migraine typically afflicts one side of the head, lasts [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 21:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi all,

A migraine typically afflicts one side of the head, lasts for hours or days, and may recur as infrequently as once every other month or often, as daily.

The sentence says that a migraine does a few things:

a. it afflicts one side of the head,

b. it lasts for hours or days, and

c. it may recur:

i. either as infrequently as once every other month
ii. or as often as daily.

Error Analysis

This sentence has three errors:

1. The idiom used for the comparison is correct - "as infrequently as once every other month". However, the idiom used for the second error is not correct. The sentence uses the incomplete idiom "often as". We need "as" before that phrase to make the idiom complete.

2. This idiom error leads to parallelism error also. "as infrequently as once every other month" is not parallel to "often as".

3. Use of comma after "often" is incorrect. In the idiom "as X as", there is no comma.

PoE:

(A) as infrequently as once every other month or often, as: Incorrect for the reasons discussed above.

(B) as infrequently as once every other month or as often as: Correct. This choice uses the correct idiom for the second comparison and removes the comma also. By the way, this is the Official Answer

(C) infrequently, as often as once every other month, or often, like: Incorrect.
i. The modifier "as often as" is modifying "infrequently". These are two contrary terms that makes this choice non-sensical.
ii. Use of "like" is incorrect in this choice.

(D) infrequently, like once every other month, or often, like: Incorrect. Use of like is incorrect here.

(E) infrequently, like once every other month, or as often as: Incorrect.
i. Use of "like" is incorrect.
ii. "infrequently, like once every other month" is not parallel to "as often as".

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha.

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Last edited by egmat on 28 Jun 2012, 05:48, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.22
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 16

Re: A migraine typically afflicts one side of the head, lasts [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 21:35
What's the difference between "infrequently" and "frequently" anyway?

I was looking for that word in the answer choices but didn't find one. Any thoughts?

"as infrequently as" - I haven't encountered this idiom. Sucks to be a non-native. :(

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
- T. Roosevelt

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: A migraine typically afflicts one side of the head, lasts [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 21:52
egmat wrote:
Hi all,

A migraine typically afflicts one side of the head, lasts for hours or days, and may recur as infrequently as once every other month or often, as daily.

The sentence says that a migraine does a few things:

a. it afflicts one side of the head,

b. it lasts for hours or days, and

c. it may recur:

i. either as infrequently as once every other month
ii. or as often as daily.

Error Analysis

This sentence has three errors:

1. The idiom used for the comparison is correct - "as infrequently as once every other month". However, the idiom used for the second error is not correct. The sentence uses the incomplete idiom "often as". We need "as" before that phrase to make the idiom complete.

2. This idiom error leads to parallelism error also. "as infrequently as once every other month" is not parallel to "often as".

3. Use of comma after "often" is incorrect. In the idiom "as X as", there is no comma.

PoE:

(A) as infrequently as once every other month or often, as: Incorrect for the reasons discussed above.

(B) as infrequently as once every other month or as often as: Correct. This choice uses the correct idiom for the second comparison and removes the comma also. By this is the Official Answer

(C) infrequently, as often as once every other month, or often, like: Incorrect.
i. The modifier "as often as" is modifying "infrequently". These are two contrary terms that makes this choice non-sensical.
ii. Use of "like" is incorrect in this choice.

(D) infrequently, like once every other month, or often, like: Incorrect. Use of like is incorrect here.

(E) infrequently, like once every other month, or as often as: Incorrect.
i. Use of "like" is incorrect.
ii. "infrequently, like once every other month" is not parallel to "as often as".

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha.

Hi Shraddha

Couldn't understand why "infrequently, like once every other month" is not parallel to "as often as".
Please elaborate.. Thanks

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3506 [0], given: 185

Re: A migraine typically afflicts one side of the head, lasts [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2012, 06:01
Expert's post
gmatsaga wrote:
What's the difference between "infrequently" and "frequently" anyway?

I was looking for that word in the answer choices but didn't find one. Any thoughts?

"as infrequently as" - I haven't encountered this idiom. Sucks to be a non-native. :(

Hi there,
"Frequent" means regular. "Infrequent" is just the opposite. It means "irregular". If we say that something takes place "infrequently", we mean that that action does not place regularly.

Now the migraine sentence here presents any one of the two possible states of the recurrence of the pain:
a. "either it occurs as infrequently" as once every other month". So migriane may recur once every alternate month. This means that recirrence is not regular. It happens in long intervals. That's why the sentence uses the adverb "infrquently".
b. "or as often as daily". So migraine pain may recur everyday. Now this is frequent as this action may take place everday.

Don't feel disheartened if you are unable to understand anythung. It is not possible to master any language 100%, not even our native language. Every language is changing everyday with new omissions and commissions in words, their usages, so on and so forth.
Post your doubts on forums like these and increase your knowledge :-D

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3506 [0], given: 185

Re: A migraine typically afflicts one side of the head, lasts [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2012, 06:14
Expert's post
narangvaibhav wrote:
Hi Shraddha

Couldn't understand why "infrequently, like once every other month" is not parallel to "as often as".
Please elaborate.. Thanks

Hi Vaibhav,

According to the logical intended meaning of the sentence, the migraine may recur either X or Y. Here the entities X and Y should be parallel. Now per choice E, about which you have a doubt, these two entities are:
X = infrequently, like once every other month
Y = as often as

Grammatically, entity X is incorrect anyway because use of “like” is incorrect here. Structurally also, these two entities are not parallel. The second entity uses the correct idiom “as often as daily” which is not parallel “infrequently, like once every other month.” We need the same idiomatic structure to make the entities parallel. And in this context, it is absolutely possible to make these two entities structurally identical as evident in Choice B, the correct answer.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A migraine typically afflicts one side of the head, lasts [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 00:04
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: A migraine typically afflicts one side of the head, lasts   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2014, 00:04