Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE:Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: A Minor doubt [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
Hi, there. I'm happy to help with this. :)

First of all, the patterns of what the unit digits of powers are only hold for positive integer powers, powers n > 0. Any integer to the power of 0 is 1, and at n = 0, that pattern trumps whatever individual pattern the individual base has.

As for powers of 4, you are perfectly correct: the unit digits of the powers are 4, 6, 4, 6, 4, 6 ---> 4^(odd power) has a unit's digit of 4, and 4^(even power) has a unit's digit of 6. Thus, 100 is even, so 4^100 would have a units digit of 6.

I am holding the Manhattan GMAT book to which you referred, and I believe the question you cited is p. 66, #12: "If Sn = 4^n + 5^(n+1) + 3, what is the units digit of S100?" That question ---- not simply the question about the units digit of 4^100 by itself ---- has an answer of 4. The reason is: the 4^100 part would have units digit of 6, any power of 5 has a units digit of 5, and 6 + 5 + 3 = 14, something with a units digit of 4.

Does that all make sense? I hope that clears up your confusion. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :)

exactly.......Thanks a lot..

+1 Kudos for you
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
kotela wrote:
Hey friends i have minor doubt can you please clarify this?

What is the units digit of 4^100?

->To my knowledge we generally go with the the number to the power of units digit

Eg:3^84----->since the it follows a sequence such as 3,9,27,81,243......so the units digits follows a sequence 3,9,7,1,3..........so the units digit of 3^84 should be 1....

Now look at the question i.e units digit of 4^100

since units digit sequence of 4 varies in the form 4,6,4........but here the question says 4^0(as the units digit is 0)
so my doubt that are we supposed to consider 4^0 if this is the case then units digit is 1....But Mnhattan Gmat says the units digit of 4^100 is 4...How come this is true?

Its in page 58 Manhattan 12th problem (03 - The Equations, Inequalities, and VICs Guide 4th edition)

Can anyone please explain??

The unit's digit of the base is the one we are focusing on. Not the unit's digit of the power.

Say, you have \(264^{100}\) and you need its unit's digit. How will you approach it?

The unit's digit will be determined by the unit's digit of the base i.e. 4.
Next, the power is 100.
The cyclicity of 4 is 2 i.e. the unit's digit of 4 varies as: 4, 6, 4, 6, 4, 6...
If 4 has an odd power (say \(4^1 or 4^3 or 4^{257}\)), the unit's digit will be 4
If 4 has an even power ((say \(4^2 or 4^8 or 4^{256}\)), the unit's digit will be 6.

100 is even so \(4^{100} = 6\)

Thanks a lot.......

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts