Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A Month to go to get 680+

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

A Month to go to get 680+ [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 08:19
Fellow GMAT Club Members,

I have been preparing for the GMAT for almost 3 months and gave my GMAT on Monday. I scored a paltry 600 (q49, v24). This came as a shock as this was the first time in 7 attempts that I scored a verbal scaled score below v31. The GMAT scores from my practice tests so far are as follows.

GMATPrepCAT1 560 (q42 v21) ~ only Math and Verbal and no essays
GMATPrepCAT2 550 (q37 v27) ~ “ “ “
GMATPrepCAT 1 retake 640 (q47 v31) ~ “ “ “
GMATPrepCAT 2 retake 680 (q47 v36) ~ “ “ “
GMATPrepCAT 1 retake 730 (q49 v41) ~ “ “ “
GMATPrepCAT 2 retake 700 (q49 v37) ~ “ “ “
GMATPrepCAT 1 retake 650 (q47 v35) ~ Full GMAT test with Manhattan GMAT simulation pad
GMATPrepCAT 2 retake 680 (q49 v33) ~ Full GMAT test with Manhattan GMAT simulation pad without stopwatch
GMATPrepCAT 1 retake 650 (q49 v31) ~ Full GMAT test with Manhattan GMAT simulation pad without stopwatch
Then the actual score 600 (q49 v24)

So when I saw my actual score on Monday, I was bitterly disappointed. I’m aiming for a score 680+ as I feel this would be sufficient to get me into the Business School of my choice. My work experience is excellent (8 years) across 3 different industries so the only thing I feel that is stopping me is the GMAT.

A friend of mine who had taken the GMAT successfully advised me to keep retaking the GMATPrep CATs and as many questions from the official GMAT guides (11th, 12th edition and Verbal Review); hence the practice with GMATPrep CATs so far.

I want to take the GMAT in a month’s time and I’m very determined to improve my score and finish this GMAT once and for all. I want advice from the forum members with regards to preparation for next month (4 weeks time).

I used the following preparation materials.
· GMAT Official Guides editions 11 and 12
· Verbal Review
· Kaplan GMAT 800
· Power Score Critical Reasoning
· Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction

· I found the questions in the GMATPrep and the actual exam harder than the questions in the books. For instance, I felt I had to practice from question 200 and 120 on Problem Solving and Data Sufficiency to find questions comparable to that of the actual exam.
· I also felt that the actual GMAT exam was harder than the GMATPrep software. I felt I was really struggling on the Math and had to randomly guess questions intermittently and the last two questions in the test. However, to my surprise and shock I scored well on the Math but very badly on the Verbal.

What other preparation material should I use to practice tough Math and Verbal questions?
In Math, so far to date, I’ve not been able to top q49 – data sufficiency inequality, weighted average and rate questions are my weaknesses; however, I realise that I really need to push up my verbal well beyond the early 30s. I generally find it difficult to gauge the difficulty level of questions in verbal whereas with Math I know when I come across a really difficult question.

I briefly tried practicing with the 4 Kaplan CATs on the 4 CDs and 2 Manhattan GMAT CATs. I found Kaplan CATs, particularly the Math test, are much stricter when it comes to marking. I also found the Manhattan GMAT CATs ridiculously difficult – I struggle from the 3rd question. Do you still think I should practice the Manhattan GMAT and Kaplan CATs? I didn’t want to practice these 3 weeks close to the exam and dent my confidence but what do you think is the appropriate strategy?

I would really appreciate your thoughts and feedback on the best way to go about my prep for the next month.

Cheers
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

Re: A Month to go to get 680+ [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 09:32
skarthik79 wrote:
Fellow GMAT Club Members,

I have been preparing for the GMAT for almost 3 months and gave my GMAT on Monday. I scored a paltry 600 (q49, v24). This came as a shock as this was the first time in 7 attempts that I scored a verbal scaled score below v31. The GMAT scores from my practice tests so far are as follows.

GMATPrepCAT1 560 (q42 v21) ~ only Math and Verbal and no essays
GMATPrepCAT2 550 (q37 v27) ~ “ “ “
GMATPrepCAT 1 retake 640 (q47 v31) ~ “ “ “
GMATPrepCAT 2 retake 680 (q47 v36) ~ “ “ “
GMATPrepCAT 1 retake 730 (q49 v41) ~ “ “ “
GMATPrepCAT 2 retake 700 (q49 v37) ~ “ “ “
GMATPrepCAT 1 retake 650 (q47 v35) ~ Full GMAT test with Manhattan GMAT simulation pad
GMATPrepCAT 2 retake 680 (q49 v33) ~ Full GMAT test with Manhattan GMAT simulation pad without stopwatch
GMATPrepCAT 1 retake 650 (q49 v31) ~ Full GMAT test with Manhattan GMAT simulation pad without stopwatch
Then the actual score 600 (q49 v24)

So when I saw my actual score on Monday, I was bitterly disappointed. I’m aiming for a score 680+ as I feel this would be sufficient to get me into the Business School of my choice. My work experience is excellent (8 years) across 3 different industries so the only thing I feel that is stopping me is the GMAT.

A friend of mine who had taken the GMAT successfully advised me to keep retaking the GMATPrep CATs and as many questions from the official GMAT guides (11th, 12th edition and Verbal Review); hence the practice with GMATPrep CATs so far.

I want to take the GMAT in a month’s time and I’m very determined to improve my score and finish this GMAT once and for all. I want advice from the forum members with regards to preparation for next month (4 weeks time).

I used the following preparation materials.
· GMAT Official Guides editions 11 and 12
· Verbal Review
· Kaplan GMAT 800
· Power Score Critical Reasoning
· Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction

· I found the questions in the GMATPrep and the actual exam harder than the questions in the books. For instance, I felt I had to practice from question 200 and 120 on Problem Solving and Data Sufficiency to find questions comparable to that of the actual exam.
· I also felt that the actual GMAT exam was harder than the GMATPrep software. I felt I was really struggling on the Math and had to randomly guess questions intermittently and the last two questions in the test. However, to my surprise and shock I scored well on the Math but very badly on the Verbal.

What other preparation material should I use to practice tough Math and Verbal questions?
In Math, so far to date, I’ve not been able to top q49 – data sufficiency inequality, weighted average and rate questions are my weaknesses; however, I realise that I really need to push up my verbal well beyond the early 30s. I generally find it difficult to gauge the difficulty level of questions in verbal whereas with Math I know when I come across a really difficult question.

I briefly tried practicing with the 4 Kaplan CATs on the 4 CDs and 2 Manhattan GMAT CATs. I found Kaplan CATs, particularly the Math test, are much stricter when it comes to marking. I also found the Manhattan GMAT CATs ridiculously difficult – I struggle from the 3rd question. Do you still think I should practice the Manhattan GMAT and Kaplan CATs? I didn’t want to practice these 3 weeks close to the exam and dent my confidence but what do you think is the appropriate strategy?

I would really appreciate your thoughts and feedback on the best way to go about my prep for the next month.

Cheers

Hi Karthik,

I am taking the GMAT on 29 Nov 2010. One thing that stood out when I read your prep strategy that can easily improve your score is to do only FULL LENGHT CATs. That means to both the 2 essays, math and then verbal as you would do on the test day. Also you can take as few as 3-4 tests only this time around. Work and rework more on OG. Thats critical. I am sure you will be in a far more commanding position if you revise K800, Official workbooks on verbal. Your weak area is clearly verbal. Go through the basics on SC from MGMAT and work on RC and CRs.

Thanks,
M

WHERE IS THE PASSION?

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 104

Re: A Month to go to get 680+ [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 01:12
Karthik, the GMATPrep CATS are good for 4 exams (including 2 retakes) not beyond that.
Your basics need to be good. And importantly, when you are giving a CAT, note down on a paper the questions you don't feel 100% confident about. Then look at this count over the next many CATs. If it is not going down.. then you have a problem.
At the same time copy the questions and explanations on a sheet. Label it "my mistakes". Make the font on the explanations white so that they will be visible only when u highlight it. this will help you go through a list of mistakes you once did and reassess if you have learnt anything.
So basically, your confidence level on the questions need to go up and you should stop repeating mistakes. AND NEVER COMMIT SILLY MISTAKES.

Hope it helps.
Re: A Month to go to get 680+   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2010, 01:12