Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3067 [17]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Re: A mosquito bite can transmit to a person the parasite that causes mala [#permalink]
Straight A. 'A' has the only explanation which can make one think of not having any protection against malaria
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
Re: A mosquito bite can transmit to a person the parasite that causes mala [#permalink]
eyunni wrote:
A mosquito bite can transmit to a person the parasite that causes malaria, and the use of mosquito nets over children's beds can significantly reduce the incidence of malarial infection for children in areas where malaria is common. Yet public health officials are reluctant to recommend the use of mosquito nets over children's beds in such areas.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the strongest grounds for the public health officials' reluctance?
A. Early exposure to malaria increases the body's resistance to it and results in a lesser likelihood of severe life-threatening episodes of malaria.
B. Mosquito bites can transmit to people diseases other than malaria.
C. Mosquito nets provide protection from some insect pests other than mosquitoes.
D. Although there are vaccines available for many childhood diseases, no vaccine has been developed that is effective against malaria.
E. The pesticides that are most effective against mosquitoes in regions where malaria
is common have significant detrimental effects on human health.

Please provide explanations. I will post the OA later.

A. All others do not strengthen in any way. In fact, give a reason to go against public health officials.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3067 [0]
Send PM
Doesn't it sound utterly ridiculous that public health officials want children to be bitten by mosquito and get infected by virus earlier on just for the sake of immunity?? Or am I the only one thinking it is ridiculous, which is why I chose (C).

C. Mosquito nets provide protection from some insect pests other than mosquitoes.

Here, if we make a reasonable/sensible assumption that some other insect pests do not cause malaria, then PHO's reluctance makes sense. There is possibly no reason to use mosquito nets when the net does not provide protection against malaria anyway...Anyone has a comment?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q42  V35
Send PM
eyunni wrote:
Doesn't it sound utterly ridiculous that public health officials want children to be bitten by mosquito and get infected by virus earlier on just for the sake of immunity?? Or am I the only one thinking it is ridiculous, which is why I chose (C).

Here, if we make a reasonable/sensible assumption that some other insect pests do not cause malaria, then PHO's reluctance makes sense. There is possibly no reason to use mosquito nets when the net does not provide protection against malaria anyway...Anyone has a comment?

Yes because statment A says that it results in a lesser likelihood of sever lilfe-threatening episodes of malaria.

Ex. You want you child to get infected with chicken pox at a young age beacuse if they dont and get infected as an adult they could die. Would you rather be sick for a few weeks as an 8 year old or die as 50 year old.

As for statement C, what difference does it make if the nets also protect againts bees? It still makes sense to protect against the mosquitos infected with malaria.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
gixxer1000 wrote:
eyunni wrote:

Yes because statment A says that it results in a lesser likelihood of sever lilfe-threatening episodes of malaria.

Ex. You want you child to get infected with chicken pox at a young age beacuse if they dont and get infected as an adult they could die. Would you rather be sick for a few weeks as an 8 year old or die as 50 year old.

As for statement C, what difference does it make if the nets also protect againts bees? It still makes sense to protect against the mosquitos infected with malaria.

Thanks gixxer1000 for your comments. However, I want to rephrase the above underlined part. ('also' is not preferred as per the question). 'What difference does it make if the nets protect against bees, but not mosquitoes?' Hence the reluctance among PHOs. Anything wrong with the reasoning?

Regarding A, I would rather not be sick as an 8 year old and 'EXPECT' new drugs in the next 30-40 years to provide me immunity. If choice A has to be right, there has to be another assumption that there are no drugs, which can provide the immunity by the time I get sick at 50 years.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q42  V35
Send PM
eyunni wrote:
gixxer1000 wrote:
eyunni wrote:

Thanks gixxer1000 for your comments. However, I want to rephrase the above underlined part. ('also' is not preferred as per the question). 'What difference does it make if the nets protect against bees, but not mosquitoes?' Hence the reluctance among PHOs. Anything wrong with the reasoning?

Regarding A, I would rather not be sick as an 8 year old and 'EXPECT' new drugs in the next 30-40 years to provide me immunity. If choice A has to be right, there has to be another assumption that there are no drugs, which can provide the immunity by the time I get sick at 50 years.

When looking at these problems you need only consider the scope of the problem. No where does it say that you can 'expect' new drugs in the future to help. For A we dont have to make any assumption and if fact 'expecting' that there will be drugs is an assumption because it's never stated. Anything that is not specifically stated is an assumption, even if it makes sense logically. Consider only the information given in either the passage or the answers.

Also the passage says:
'the use of mosquito nets over children's beds can significantly reduce the incidence of malarial infection for children'

Since this is a premise we MUST take it as a FACT when considering all the answers. So if they protect from bees that must be in addition to protecting to mosquitos.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks gixxer1000, I somehow overlooked that premise. That premise clearly puts the option C out of scope. A remains.

Ofcourse, OA is A.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
For this argument We need to find an answer option which will support the fact that why mosquito nets over children's beds in such areas should not be used.
(A) Early exposure to malaria increases the body's resistance to it and results in a lesser likelihood of severe life-threatening episodes of malaria.
This supports by saying yes, if children have a resistance against the disease, they wouldn't be affected by it.
(B) Mosquito bites can transmit to people diseases other than malaria.
Other than malaria - Out of scope
(C) Mosquito nets provide protection from some insect pests other than mosquitoes.
Other than mosquitoes - Out of scope
(D) Although there are vaccines available for many childhood diseases, no vaccine has been developed that is effective against malaria.
This option does not even relate with why mosquito nets should not be used - Out of scope
(E) The pesticides that are most effective against mosquitoes in regions where malaria is common have significant detrimental effects on human health.
This is like an extra information. - Not Related

Correct Answer A
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
eyunni wrote:
A mosquito bite can transmit to a person the parasite that causes malaria, and the use of mosquito nets over children's beds can significantly reduce the incidence of malarial infection for children in areas where malaria is common. Yet public health officials are reluctant to recommend the use of mosquito nets over children's beds in such areas.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the strongest grounds for the public health officials' reluctance?

(A) Early exposure to malaria increases the body's resistance to it and results in a lesser likelihood of severe life-threatening episodes of malaria.

(B) Mosquito bites can transmit to people diseases other than malaria.

(C) Mosquito nets provide protection from some insect pests other than mosquitoes.

(D) Although there are vaccines available for many childhood diseases, no vaccine has been developed that is effective against malaria.

(E) The pesticides that are most effective against mosquitoes in regions where malaria is common have significant detrimental effects on human health.

This is an Explain the Paradox type of question.

The paradox is that public health officials are reluctant to recommend the use of mosquito nets over children’s beds in areas where malaria is common even though a mosquito bite can transmit the parasite that causes malaria and the use of mosquito nets over children’s beds can significantly reduce the incidence of malarial infection for children in areas where malaria is common.

Option B mentions that a mosquito bite can transmit diseases other than malaria. That would be more reason to use the mosquito nets, so this option does not explain why public health officials are reluctant to recommend the use of mosquito nets. So, Option B can be eliminated.

Option C also provides a reason for mosquito nets to be used. It doesn’t provide an explanation for the reluctance of the officials. So, Option C can be eliminated.

Option D states that there is no effective vaccine for malaria. So, that would actually be reason for the nets to be used. Since this option doesn’t explain the officials’ reluctance, Option D can also be eliminated.

Option E only provides a reason for pesticides not to be used, not for mosquito nets not to be used. So, Option E can be eliminated.

Option A provides a reason for the officials’ reluctance. If by exposing children to malaria early increases resistance to it, and prevent life-threatening episodes of it later, the officials would be in favour of exposing children to the disease. Therefore, A is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts