Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 02:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A mosquito bite can transmit to a person the parasite that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

A mosquito bite can transmit to a person the parasite that [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 14:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (01:51) correct 33% (01:09) wrong based on 4 sessions
A mosquito bite can transmit to a person the parasite that causes malaria, and the use of mosquito nets over children's beds can significantly reduce the incidence of malarial infection for children in areas where malaria is common. Yet public health officials are reluctant to recommend the use of mosquito nets over children's beds in such areas.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the strongest grounds for the public health officials' reluctance?
A. Early exposure to malaria increases the body's resistance to it and results in a lesser likelihood of severe life-threatening episodes of malaria.
B. Mosquito bites can transmit to people diseases other than malaria.
C. Mosquito nets provide protection from some insect pests other than mosquitoes.
D. Although there are vaccines available for many childhood diseases, no vaccine has been developed that is effective against malaria.
E. The pesticides that are most effective against mosquitoes in regions where malaria
is common have significant detrimental effects on human health.

Please provide explanations. I will post the OA later.
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Strengthen an argument [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 14:29
eyunni wrote:
A mosquito bite can transmit to a person the parasite that causes malaria, and the use of mosquito nets over children's beds can significantly reduce the incidence of malarial infection for children in areas where malaria is common. Yet public health officials are reluctant to recommend the use of mosquito nets over children's beds in such areas.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the strongest grounds for the public health officials' reluctance?
A. Early exposure to malaria increases the body's resistance to it and results in a lesser likelihood of severe life-threatening episodes of malaria.
C. Mosquito nets provide protection from some insect pests other than mosquitoes.
D. Although there are vaccines available for many childhood diseases, no vaccine has been developed that is effective against malaria.
E. The pesticides that are most effective against mosquitoes in regions where malaria

A

We are looking for the answer that strengthens the public officials reluctance to use the nets.

Statement A gives as an alternate reason for the public officials to want children to be bitten by the mosquitos and therefore the nets are not needed.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: Strengthen an argument [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 16:49
yeah, i think A as well. If nothing else, its the only one that has the most relevance to the argument at hand.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Strengthen an argument [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 19:09
Straight A. 'A' has the only explanation which can make one think of not having any protection against malaria
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Strengthen an argument [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 19:34
eyunni wrote:

A. All others do not strengthen in any way. In fact, give a reason to go against public health officials.
Director
Director

Re: CR: Strengthen an argument [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 06:14
Doesn't it sound utterly ridiculous that public health officials want children to be bitten by mosquito and get infected by virus earlier on just for the sake of immunity?? Or am I the only one thinking it is ridiculous, which is why I chose (C).

Here, if we make a reasonable/sensible assumption that some other insect pests do not cause malaria, then PHO's reluctance makes sense. There is possibly no reason to use mosquito nets when the net does not provide protection against malaria anyway...Anyone has a comment?
Director
Director

Re: CR: Strengthen an argument [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 06:48
eyunni wrote:
Doesn't it sound utterly ridiculous that public health officials want children to be bitten by mosquito and get infected by virus earlier on just for the sake of immunity?? Or am I the only one thinking it is ridiculous, which is why I chose (C).

Here, if we make a reasonable/sensible assumption that some other insect pests do not cause malaria, then PHO's reluctance makes sense. There is possibly no reason to use mosquito nets when the net does not provide protection against malaria anyway...Anyone has a comment?

Yes because statment A says that it results in a lesser likelihood of sever lilfe-threatening episodes of malaria.

Ex. You want you child to get infected with chicken pox at a young age beacuse if they dont and get infected as an adult they could die. Would you rather be sick for a few weeks as an 8 year old or die as 50 year old.

As for statement C, what difference does it make if the nets also protect againts bees? It still makes sense to protect against the mosquitos infected with malaria.
Director
Director

Re: CR: Strengthen an argument [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 07:51
gixxer1000 wrote:
eyunni wrote:

Yes because statment A says that it results in a lesser likelihood of sever lilfe-threatening episodes of malaria.

Ex. You want you child to get infected with chicken pox at a young age beacuse if they dont and get infected as an adult they could die. Would you rather be sick for a few weeks as an 8 year old or die as 50 year old.

As for statement C, what difference does it make if the nets also protect againts bees? It still makes sense to protect against the mosquitos infected with malaria.

Thanks gixxer1000 for your comments. However, I want to rephrase the above underlined part. ('also' is not preferred as per the question). 'What difference does it make if the nets protect against bees, but not mosquitoes?' Hence the reluctance among PHOs. Anything wrong with the reasoning?

Regarding A, I would rather not be sick as an 8 year old and 'EXPECT' new drugs in the next 30-40 years to provide me immunity. If choice A has to be right, there has to be another assumption that there are no drugs, which can provide the immunity by the time I get sick at 50 years.
Director
Director

Re: CR: Strengthen an argument [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 08:09
eyunni wrote:
gixxer1000 wrote:
eyunni wrote:

Thanks gixxer1000 for your comments. However, I want to rephrase the above underlined part. ('also' is not preferred as per the question). 'What difference does it make if the nets protect against bees, but not mosquitoes?' Hence the reluctance among PHOs. Anything wrong with the reasoning?

Regarding A, I would rather not be sick as an 8 year old and 'EXPECT' new drugs in the next 30-40 years to provide me immunity. If choice A has to be right, there has to be another assumption that there are no drugs, which can provide the immunity by the time I get sick at 50 years.

When looking at these problems you need only consider the scope of the problem. No where does it say that you can 'expect' new drugs in the future to help. For A we dont have to make any assumption and if fact 'expecting' that there will be drugs is an assumption because it's never stated. Anything that is not specifically stated is an assumption, even if it makes sense logically. Consider only the information given in either the passage or the answers.

Also the passage says:
'the use of mosquito nets over children's beds can significantly reduce the incidence of malarial infection for children'

Since this is a premise we MUST take it as a FACT when considering all the answers. So if they protect from bees that must be in addition to protecting to mosquitos.
Director
Director

Re: CR: Strengthen an argument [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 08:40
Thanks gixxer1000, I somehow overlooked that premise. That premise clearly puts the option C out of scope. A remains.

Ofcourse, OA is A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR: Strengthen an argument [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 08:41
whts the OA?

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Re: CR: Strengthen an argument   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2008, 08:41