Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 05:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A movie publicist accompanied a new movie release with the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A movie publicist accompanied a new movie release with the [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2007, 06:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A movie publicist accompanied a new movie release with the following endorsement:

This movie is a must-see for men and women who are in or want to have a committed relationship in the Nineties. While the leading actor in the movie had unrefined edges, he eventually becomes sensitive and caring. The lading actress begins to understand and appreciate her lover's uniquely male characteristics without booting him out the door. If you are a true Nineties man or woman - self-reliant, yet perceptive and caring - you must see this movie!

If the publicist's claims about the movie are true, which one of the following is also true?

A) Men and women who are perceptive and caring are also self-reliant
B) A man who has seen the movie but is still not perceptive and caring misrepresents himself as a true Nineties man.
C) People who go to the movie described in the passage are more sensitive than people who go to action thriller movies.
D) No other movie recognizes true Nineties men and women
E) Most everyone would recognize the type of man or woman who would go to see the movie described in the passage.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2007, 06:16
gonna go with E.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 00:41
Its between B and E I think .

B takes the edge because of the author's true claim :
"you are a true Nineties man or woman - self-reliant, yet perceptive and caring - you must see this movie! "

What is the OA ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 00:54
bsd_lover wrote:
Its between B and E I think .

B takes the edge because of the author's true claim :
"you are a true Nineties man or woman - self-reliant, yet perceptive and caring - you must see this movie! "

What is the OA ?

I am not sure that I understand correctly what they mean under this phrase.
B) A man who has seen the movie but is still not perceptive and caring misrepresents himself as a true Nineties man.
The man thinks of himself as of a true Nineties man, and in fact he is not such a man. - this is how I understand this sentence.
Do you think it has another meaning?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 00:56
I would go for E. The passage never said anything changing someone who watched the movie. B seems to suggests a man would change to a 90s stereotype man after watching this movie.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 01:02
ywilfred wrote:
I would go for E. The passage never said anything changing someone who watched the movie. B seems to suggests a man would change to a 90s stereotype man after watching this movie.

I think B has another meaning. Either "a man who has seen the movie but is still not perceptive and caring thinks of himself as of a true Nineties man, and in fact he is not such a man" or "a man who has seen the movie but is still not perceptive and caring doesn't fall under the author's generalization about true Ninties men"

I will post OA a bit later
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 06:29
Caas wrote:
ywilfred wrote:

I think B has another meaning. Either "a man who has seen the movie but is still not perceptive and caring thinks of himself as of a true Nineties man, and in fact he is not such a man" or "a man who has seen the movie but is still not perceptive and caring doesn't fall under the author's generalization about true Ninties men"

I agree with ywilfred. B seems to imply that after watching this movie, if a man does not demonstrate that he is perceptive and caring, then he is not correct if he calls himself a nineties man.

Caas: The way you are analyzing B, makes me feel the OA is B, in which case it makes no sense to me. In my opinion, E is the best answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 07:27
It has been mentioned "If you are a true Nineties man or woman - self-reliant, yet perceptive and caring - you must see this movie!" => a true 90s man/woman is self reliant, perceptive and caring and also watches the movie.
Now if a true 90s man has seen the movie he should be self reliant, perceptive and caring. But if he is not perceptive and caring then he is not a true 90s man.

I go for B.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 07:55
If you are a true Nineties man or woman - self-reliant, yet perceptive and caring - you must see this movie!

B is incorrect because a man doesnt necessarily have to consider himself a Ninties man to want to see this movie.

However, if there is such a stereotypical ninties man, the movie tells us that is the type of man more likely to go to the film; because it is a commonly held stereotype, most of society will recognize it as such, and thus E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 07:56
r019h wrote:
Caas wrote:
ywilfred wrote:

I agree with ywilfred. B seems to imply that after watching this movie, if a man does not demonstrate that he is perceptive and caring, then he is not correct if he calls himself a nineties man.

Caas: The way you are analyzing B, makes me feel the OA is B, in which case it makes no sense to me. In my opinion, E is the best answer.
I disagree, I took from the passage that simply by going to the movie lacking certain attributes you misrepresent yourself as a Ninties man.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 09:51
My first gut shot was on E. I felt B is tempting but irrelevant. I will be surprised if OA is B
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 10:06
B says: A man who has seen the movie but is still not perceptive and caring misrepresents himself as a true Nineties man.

Now,its no where written in the passage that watching the movie will characterize a man as true 90's one...it just says that an already perceptive and caring person(a 90's man) should watch the movie.

I think only E makes sense...whats the OA??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 10:15
OA is B

I chose E myself :(

OE: the passage contains an imbedded if-then statement. If you go to the movie, then you must be a true Nineties man or woman and have the 3 qualities listed.
B) yes. As the passage recites, if you see the movie, you are a true Ninties man or woman - self-reliant, perceptive and carig. If a man sees the movie but he doesn't have all 3 characteristics, then he is not a true ninties man and he misrepresents himself by going to the movie with that in mind.
E) no. The passage does not tell us how to make this determination.

Source: Nova's GMAT Prep Course 2005
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 15:17
So I was right (WOOHOO)

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier.

Is what makes / breaks this arguement. I understood it is the author say "a true nineties man or woman is self reliant YET perceptive and caring" which directly links with B.

Remember the questions says that the author's claim is true.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 19:04
Caas wrote:
OA is B

OE: the passage contains an imbedded if-then statement. If you go to the movie, then you must be a true Nineties man or woman and have the 3 qualities listed.
B) yes. As the passage recites, if you see the movie, you are a true Ninties man or woman - self-reliant, perceptive and carig. If a man sees the movie but he doesn't have all 3 characteristics, then he is not a true ninties man and he misrepresents himself by going to the movie with that in mind.

Hi Caas,
The if-then statement is the other way round as stated in this passage:
If you are a true Nineties man or woman and have the 3 qualities listed, then you go to the movie.

I still think E is correct...any thoughts??
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 22:53
B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2007, 03:41
bsd_lover wrote:
So I was right (WOOHOO)

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier.

Is what makes / breaks this arguement. I understood it is the author say "a true nineties man or woman is self reliant YET perceptive and caring" which directly links with B.

Remember the questions says that the author's claim is true.

Yes, agree that the questions says that the author's claim is true. But the author's claim is that a true ninties man "MUST go to see the movie", not "WILL go to see the movie". Even if I am not a true ninties woman, it means that I don't HAVE TO see the movie, but I will go no matter what. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2007, 03:44
vineetgupta wrote:
Caas wrote:
OA is B

Hi Caas,
The if-then statement is the other way round as stated in this passage:
If you are a true Nineties man or woman and have the 3 qualities listed, then you go to the movie.

I still think E is correct...any thoughts??

Hi vineetgupta,

I agree with you. E seems correct to me too. But OA is B unfortunately :(
  [#permalink] 16 Jun 2007, 03:44