Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Meaning/Logical Predicationx   Modifiersx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [1]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: A mutual fund having billions of dollars in assets will typically inve [#permalink]
A mutual fund having billions of dollars in assets will typically invest that money in hundreds of companies, rarely holding more than one percent of the shares of any particular corporation.

(A) companies, rarely holding more than one percent
(B) companies, and it is rare to hold at least one percent or more
(C) companies and rarely do they hold more than one percent
(D) companies, so that they rarely hold more than one percent
(E) companies; rarely do they hold one percent or more

Rarely holding correctly modifies mutual funds - Hence A is correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: A mutual fund having billions of dollars in assets will typically inve [#permalink]
Hi egmat and ChrisLele
I have two doubts regarding the question
B) Isn't "It" in option B a placeholder pronoun referring to "to hold..". I am unable to understand why we are eliminating it because of ambiguity.
A)Isn't option (A) a run-on sentence as two independent clauses are separated by a comma. If not then what is the function on comma here?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
anandch1994 wrote:
Hi egmat and ChrisLele
B) Isn't "It" in option B a placeholder pronoun referring to "to hold..". I am unable to understand why we are eliminating it because of ambiguity.
A)Isn't option (A) a run-on sentence as two independent clauses are separated by a comma. If not then what is the function on comma here?

B) You are right in that "it" is placeholder for "to hold". However the ambiguity is not in reference of the pronoun "it", but in that it is not clear who rarely holds the shares - the relation between the second clause ( after "and") and the first is not understood from this construction.

A) No run-on here - the part after comma is NOT an independent clause, but a present participle modifier - comma + present participle modifier is often used as an adverbial modifier to refer to the verb of the preceding modifier ( in words of some GMAT guides: used to refer to the entire preceding clause).
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
anandch1994 wrote:
Hi egmat and ChrisLele

Hello anandch1994,

Thank you for the query. :-)

Although both your doubts have already been addressed, I have a very different take on the usage of the pronoun it in Choice B.

IMHO, the pronoun it is not a placeholder in Choice B. It is a pronoun that refers to the noun A mutual fund because the context of the sentence clearly states that a mutual fund rarely holds more than one percent of the shares of any particular corporation.

Choice B is incorrect because

i. The cause-and-effect relationship suggested in the original sentence is lost.
ii. The original sentence says that the said mutual fund rarely holds more than one percent of share. It means that the if said mutual fund hold the shares, it just holds one percent of share. However, Choice B says that it is rare to hold at least one percent or more. The structure suggests that the said mutual fund does not even hold one percent or more.

Also, please bear in mind that a placeholder pronoun does NOT refer to anything at all.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The problem with B is that it implies that the fund may not hold even one percent. When so, logically it fails to answer how it can hold more than one percent. A, on the contrary makes it clear that the cap is one percent and no single investment may be even one plus a decimal. That is the actual impact of the altered intent of the phrase ' at least"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
A mutual fund having billions of dollars in assets will typically invest that money in hundreds of companies, rarely holding more than one percent of the shares of any particular corporation.

INTENDED MEANING : -->
A mutual fund that has billions of dollars in assets will invest that money in hundreds of companies. Then, the sentence expresses the result of this clause using a verb-ing modifier.

Option Analysis
(A) Correct.

(B) Incorrect. For the following reasons:
-- Using ‘at least’ and ‘or more’ together is redundant;
-- This option presents the two ideas using ‘and’, thus distorting the meaning by eliminating the cause and effect relationship of the original sentence.

(C) Incorrect. For the following reasons:
--The part after ‘and’ is an independent clause and thus needs to be connected using ‘comma+and’ with the previous independent clause.
--Logically, we know that ‘they’ should refer to ‘mutual fund’. However, grammatically it cannot since ‘they’ is plural and ‘mutual fund’ is singular. So, we have a pronoun error.

(D) Incorrect. For the same pronoun error as in option C.
Here, the USAGE of "so that" is correct. It is used as "WITH THE RESULT THAT".

(E) Incorrect. For the same pronoun error as in option C
-- This option presents the two ideas using ‘;’, thus distorting the meaning by eliminating the cause and effect relationship of the original sentence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM

I saw few posts that said, "rarely holding" modifies mutual fund and not companies.

But to me it was a verb-ing after a comma modifying the previous clause - "a mutual fund having billions of dollars".
Can it jump over other Nouns in this sentence to modify the "a mutual fund" ?

Need help here.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
betterscore wrote:

Technology Review - Volume 96 - Page 22

While a mutual fund may have billions of dollars in assets, it typically spreads that money over hundreds of companies, rarely holding more than 1 percent of the shares of any one corporation.

Attachment:
01.jpg

Attachment:
02.jpg

look at choice B.
in the pattern " it is rare that+clause", "it" is fake subject. "it" can not be a real subject
it is rare that I get 750 on gmat next time
if i write
I am rare that I get 750 on gmat next time
this is wrong sentence, which is similar to choice B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
..., Rarely holding..." part incorrectly modifies the company. Am I wrong ?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [10]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Kudos