Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A new analysis of ruins on the northernmost tip of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

A new analysis of ruins on the northernmost tip of [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2011, 05:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (01:47) correct 44% (00:48) wrong based on 352 sessions
A new analysis of ruins on the northernmost tip of Newfoundland reveals that the Viking settlement there is almost 600 years as old as the supposedly first North American colony.

A. as old as the supposedly
B. older than the supposedly
C. as old as the supposed
D older than their supposed
E as old as its first supposedly

can anybody tell me why "Supposedly" is better than ''supposed".[list=][/list]
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by doe007 on 16 Apr 2013, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
With reference to Knewton's OA, corrected OA entry here
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 18

Re: supposedly vs supposed [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2011, 06:52
This post received
KUDOS
supposedly modifies first. supposed modifies colony. but I think the answer is B.

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1703 [2] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: supposedly vs supposed [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2011, 09:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The supposed first North American colony- In this phrase, what does the adjective supposed modify? Is it supposed first, or supposed north or supposed American or supposed Colony? You can see the inappropriateness of the word supposed, given the context. . Hence you need to use the adverb supposedly to modify the adjective ‘first’. The sentence tries to mean that the one that is supposedly the first one is indeed the not the first one and in fact, the Viking Settlement is 600 years older. B is the choice.

HTH

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: supposedly vs supposed [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 00:18
Looks like B. The meaning says they were not sure whether they were "first" colony
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 51

Re: supposedly vs supposed [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 14:44
i think there is a typo error here in what is posted.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: supposedly vs supposed [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 17:31
it should be B. here 'first' is modified by supposedly and the 'north america colony'.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: supposedly vs supposed [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 22:57
I had a doubt in A and B and went with A. Can someone pls explain why A is not correct ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: supposedly vs supposed [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 19:04
i think the answer is c because u cannot use a adverb(supposedly) to modify a noun if any word is modifying a noun it must be a adjective so ly should be removed and look for options we are left with c and d we can reject d because the pronoun does not refer to sub so ans is 'c' i think,any comments if u have any doubt see the modifiers chapter 5 in book 8 of 8 strategy guides of mgmat.

Last edited by ravitejar on 20 May 2011, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1703 [3] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: supposedly vs supposed [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 21:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1.’Supposedly’, the adverb, modifies the adjective ‘first’; it is not modifying the colony.

2. The point of the sentence is that what was supposedly the first one is not indeed the fist one. In fact, the recent studies reveal that the Viking settlements are older. So you have to say “older than”. When you say that they are as old as then you are admitting that both are of the same age and the word ‘first’ turns irrelevant in the context. Hence A is wrong

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: supposedly vs supposed [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 23:59
The ans choice is c, does any one need explanation. Firstly, I would point out supposedly which is adverb and it can only modify verb and cannot modify noun 'colony' so any options with supposedly i.e a.b.e is out and then remaining choices are c & d .If u keenly observe the option 'd' u can get that 'their' does not refer to the main subject so u can eliminate d and u are left with the only option c i.e ans
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: supposedly vs supposed [#permalink] New post 21 May 2011, 01:44
ravitejar wrote:
The ans choice is c, does any one need explanation. Firstly, I would point out supposedly which is adverb and it can only modify verb and cannot modify noun 'colony' so any options with supposedly i.e a.b.e is out and then remaining choices are c & d .If u keenly observe the option 'd' u can get that 'their' does not refer to the main subject so u can eliminate d and u are left with the only option c i.e ans

This is not correct. Please scroll above to understand why B is the answer. Also, an adverb (supposedly) can modify the adjective (first), which in turn modifies the noun (colony).

There must be a mistake in the original post.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: supposedly vs supposed [#permalink] New post 21 May 2011, 19:42
Please correct if I'm wrong.
It's about choosing "as old as" or "older than". Suppose I couldn't decide by its meaning, whether it should be equally old or older.
I think it is "older than", not "as old as"
because with "as older as", you need a comma in front, bacause it elaborates the "600 years" period. But without a comma in front, we need something to come after "600 years" so that together they will complete the meaning. Which in this case is "600 years older" together.
Is there such rule like this, and if there is, what's it called?
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 15

Re: supposedly vs supposed [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 07:22
Quote:
A new analysis of ruins on the northernmost tip of Newfoundland reveals that the Viking settlement there is almost 600 years as old as the supposedly first North American colony.

I gave my answer as C originally, but after thinking through...I think B is the answer.

This is how I think it is...
'almost [600 years] older than...' is correct. There is no 'almost [600 years] as old as...' - it is either 'as old as' or ' NOT as old as'. There is no 'almost as old as'. That immediately strikes out options A, C and E, leaving us with B and D.

D is wrong. Who is 'their' referring to? There is no specific person/body/organization in this statement.
This leaves us with the answer B

Can someone confirm the OA please?

Edit: I did a quick check by running a google search and got this: http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/post4312.html...so, I think B is the correct answer.

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 20

A new analysis of ruins on the northernmost tip of [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 16:38
This post received
KUDOS
a) as old as the supposedly
b) older than the supposedly
c) as old as the supposed
d) older than their supposed
e) as old as its first supposedly

How are we supposed to judge whether the Viking Settlement is as old as or older than the first North American Colony, are their any pointers in the statement for the same?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 648 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A new analysis of ruins on the northernmost tip of Newfoundl [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 21:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
avaneeshvyas wrote:
a) as old as the supposedly
b) older than the supposedly
c) as old as the supposed
d) older than their supposed
e) as old as its first supposedly

How are we supposed to judge whether the Viking Settlement is as old as or older than the first North American Colony, are their any pointers in the statement for the same?

"Supposedly" being an adverb will modify the next word that comes right after it. In the sentence, it will modify "first", so the logic of the sentence becomes:
"......reveals that the Viking settlement....... either the first( we are not sure about it) but certainly is a North American Colony.(We are pretty sure about that).
Supposed FIRST NORTH AMERICAN COLONY means Viking Settlement is ceratinly the first, but it may or may not be THE NORTH AMERICAN COLONY.
So options that involve supposed are certainly wrong because they imply an unusual meaning. Eliminate C,D.
There are no referrents for "Their" and "its", so both the D and E are wrong.
A and B are close contenders.
On closer look, one may observe a case of redundancy here. If they are as old as the first north american colony then whats the importance of using FIRST here. Eliminate A.
Answer is B.

Please note that don't go by saying that the original sentence implies this emaning and that. Don't treat A more than other choices. Go for the choices that are logical. I mean to say that if A implies that "a man bit a dog" and if B implies that "a dog bit a man", then choose the most logical one, not A by saying that the original sentence meant the same.
This is what was told to me by one of the MGMAT instructors, TOMMY WALLACH.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 46

A new analysis of ruins on the northernmost tip of [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 11:29

(A)as old as the supposedly
(B)older than the supposedly
(C)as old as the supposed
(D)older than their supposed
(E)as old as its first supposedly

Need explanation...............
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 59

Re: A new analysis of ruins on the northernmost tip of [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 11:52
mun23 wrote:

Answer B

Choice A - wrong comparison uses almost 600 years as old as (I cant be almost 3 years as old as my friend, I can be either younger/older)

Choice C - same

Choice D - wrong pronoun

Choice E - as old as

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 995 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A new analysis of ruins on the northernmost tip of [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 12:21
Expert's post
mun23 wrote:

Hi mun23,

This question tests one's understanding of adverbs and adjectives and little bit of comparisons. As a recap adjectives modify nouns, and adverbs modify every other thing apart from noun. i.e. an adverb can modify verb, adjective and even another adverb.

The first split is between supposed(adjective) and supposedly(adverb)

supposed first North American Colony -- > In this case supposed is modifying North American Colony; this will mean that the we doubt the existence of the North American Colony. This would be illogical as we are comparing the age of something to the North American colony.

supposedly first North American Colony --> This makes more sense, as an adverb "supposedly" is now modifying "first", an adjective. We now mean to say that the North American colony may or may not be the first one, a very logical meaning, thus the correct usage.

Based on the reasons above, we can eliminate (C) and (D). Lets consider (A), (B) and (E)

as old as is being used incorrectly in (A). We say "Mary is as old as Julia", but we do not say that "Mary is 6 year as old as Julia"

Correct, this choice makes idiomatically correct comparison and uses the adverb "supposedly" instead of adjective "supposed"

This choice also uses the unidiomatic comparison in its use of "600 years as old as"

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 70

Re: A new analysis of ruins on the northernmost tip of [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 21:30
All duplicate threads on this same topic are merged.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1388 [0], given: 122

Re: A new analysis of ruins on the northernmost tip of [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 23:19
vivekcall81 wrote:

can anybody tell me why "Supposedly" is better than ''supposed".[list=][/list]

First, select between "supposedly" and "supposed"
supposedly is adverb and modifies first, ==> it's correct.
Supposed is adjective and modifies N.A colony ==> it changes meaning.
Narrow down to A, B, E.
E is wrong because "its" is unclear.
A is wrong because we never compare X is 600 years as old as Y, we usually compare X is 600 years older than Y.
B is correct.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: A new analysis of ruins on the northernmost tip of   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2013, 23:19