Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 15:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A new drug has been formulated which is intended to inhibit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

A new drug has been formulated which is intended to inhibit [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2003, 07:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

75% (00:00) correct 25% (01:32) wrong based on 6 sessions
A new drug has been formulated which is intended to inhibit ulcer formation by absorbing excess stomach acid. However, some researchers predict that the resulting reduced levels of stomach acid will interfere with the stomachтАЩs ability to break down food, and the body will compensate by producing more stomach acid.

Which of the following, if true, would most strongly support the authorтАЩs argument?

The new drug will reduce stomach acid below levels necessary to break food down.

Some drugs have been effective in treating ulcers by controlling stomach acid levels.

Increased stomach acid production can be attributed to a number of factors.

A reduction in stomach acid levels is not the most effective way to treat ulcers.

The long-term effects of agents that absorb stomach acid have not been fully established.

This was very simple ,but i got confused...

The questions mentions " the authors argument" ,but here the author takes a reference from researchers...all is being said by the researchers..nothing by the author...so this one foxed me..

Make sense?

thanks
praetorian
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2003, 08:37
A?

Your last remarks confused me as well.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2003, 16:36
A new drug has been formulated which is intended to inhibit ulcer formation by absorbing excess stomach acid. However, some researchers predict that the resulting reduced levels of stomach acid will interfere with the stomachтАЩs ability to break down food, and the body will compensate by producing more stomach acid.

the word EXCESS indicates that the drug only absorbs the acid left over after the food is digested. This results in body producing more acid to compensate the loss and the drug again abosrbs it . If this cycle continues, body will produce more and more acid which in turn causes the ulcer. So drug therapy to reduce the acid production is NOT an appropriate choice. Which is conveyed by D, hence , IMHO, is the best answer

Brainless

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2003, 19:18
Vote for A. If the level of acid drop below the rate needed to breakdonw the food, the stomach will produce more acid.

Yoda

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2003, 20:13
i say it is D....it seems like the author is basically describing a "potential" treatment and then showing how it might not actually be the best way to treat the condition....D is the only choice that comes close to conveying this
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2003, 00:58
Author is arguing that (citing Sceintist's prediction) that if the stomach again produces more acid than the New Drug will not be able to inhibit ulcer.
Now which choice strongly supports this argument.
Only if reduced levels of acid are below that needed to break down food will stomach produce more acid and author's argument will be supported.
Choice A states that.
Choice D is more likely an ineference that can be drawn provided scientists prediction is true.
Manager
Manager

Re: CR : Drug Formulated [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2003, 07:06
D is not good with the word "MOST".

I have 2 month for gmat.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 121

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: A new drug has been formulated which is intended to inhibit [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 09:44
I'm not quite sure, but I think it is A.

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Re: A new drug has been formulated which is intended to inhibit   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2012, 09:44