Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 17:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A new drug has been formulated which is intended to inhibit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A new drug has been formulated which is intended to inhibit [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2007, 11:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

88% (02:17) correct 13% (01:09) wrong based on 22 sessions
A new drug has been formulated which is intended to inhibit ulcer formation by absorbing excess stomach acid. However, some researchers predict that the resulting reduced levels of stomach acid will interfere with the stomach’s ability to break down food, and the body will compensate by producing more stomach acid.

Which of the following, if true, would most strongly support the author’s argument?

(A) The new drug will reduce stomach acid below levels necessary to break food down.

(B) Some drugs have been effective in treating ulcers by controlling stomach acid levels.

(C) Increased stomach acid production can be attributed to a number of factors.

(D) A reduction in stomach acid levels is not the most effective way to treat ulcers.

(E) The long-term effects of agents that absorb stomach acid have not been fully established.

Please explain your answers.

Last edited by eyunni on 27 Oct 2007, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2007, 13:00
A

If the drug brings the level below what is the threshold then body needs to produce extra acid to allow stomach to break down the food.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Princeton CR: Drug for ulcers [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2007, 14:05
eyunni wrote:
A new drug has been formulated which is intended to inhibit ulcer formation by absorbing excess stomach acid. However, some researchers predict that the resulting reduced levels of stomach acid will interfere with the stomach’s ability to break down food, and the body will compensate by producing more stomach acid.

(A) The new drug will reduce stomach acid below levels necessary to break food down.

A - Clearly states that the new drug will reduce the stomach acid level below the required needs.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2007, 14:01
sorry for the delay. OA is A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2007, 14:34
I remember seeing this CR before from MGMAT or OG I dont know. I find this CR kind of pointless.

The argument itself states, "some researchers predict that the resulting reduced levels of stomach acid will interfere with the stomach’s ability to break down food"

Then the choice A states, "The new drug will reduce stomach acid below levels necessary to break food down". So they have just rephrased the conclusion and given it as a choice.

Do we even need "critical reasoning" for this problem? Or am I missing something here?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2007, 22:13
gluon wrote:
I remember seeing this CR before from MGMAT or OG I dont know. I find this CR kind of pointless.

The argument itself states, "some researchers predict that the resulting reduced levels of stomach acid will interfere with the stomach’s ability to break down food"

Then the choice A states, "The new drug will reduce stomach acid below levels necessary to break food down". So they have just rephrased the conclusion and given it as a choice.

Do we even need "critical reasoning" for this problem? Or am I missing something here?

haha no easy answer. Sometimes though, u gotta get an easy question b/c u may physce urself out on something so simple.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: A new drug has been formulated which is intended to inhibit [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 22:27
The author is arguing that

the stomach's inability to break down food will prevent the absorption of stomach acid

the absorption of excess stomach acid may result in increased stomach acid production

food that is not broken down in the stomach will not be properly absorbed when it reaches the intestines

drugs that absorb excess stomach acid will eventually release that acid back into the digestive system

the drug will not inhibit ulcer formation by absorbing excess stomach acid because stomach acid will be needed to metabolize the drug

These are the choices, OA is B, But i hit C... Please help me out with an explanation for this!!

GMAT ATTACKK!!

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1131 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: A new drug has been formulated which is intended to inhibit [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 23:01
heartbeats1987 wrote:

the stomach's inability to break down food will prevent the absorption of stomach acid

the absorption of excess stomach acid may result in increased stomach acid production

food that is not broken down in the stomach will not be properly absorbed when it reaches the intestines

drugs that absorb excess stomach acid will eventually release that acid back into the digestive system

the drug will not inhibit ulcer formation by absorbing excess stomach acid because stomach acid will be needed to metabolize the drug

These are the choices, OA is B, But i hit C... Please help me out with an explanation for this!!

Which of the following, if true, would most strongly support the author’s argument?

We want to prove that "resulting reduced levels of stomach acid will interfere with the stomach’s ability to break down food"

This is exactly what we need, this answer just gives us the info we need.
(B) Some drugs have been effective in treating ulcers by controlling stomach acid levels.
"some drugs (...)" we do not care about some drugs, we want to see if THIS drug will be effective.
You choose C.... Even if C is true, and acid can be attributed to a number of factors, we have not info about the effects of this particular drug, that could or not interfere with the acid production: we cannot infer that hence we DO NOT know.
(D) A reduction in stomach acid levels is not the most effective way to treat ulcers.
This is just general info, not useful to prove our point.
(E) The long-term effects of agents that absorb stomach acid have not been fully established.
We are not concern with not fully established long-term effects...

Hope it's clear

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: A new drug has been formulated which is intended to inhibit [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 00:03
Zarrolou wrote:
heartbeats1987 wrote:

We want to prove that "resulting reduced levels of stomach acid will interfere with the stomach’s ability to break down food"

This is exactly what we need, this answer just gives us the info we need.
"some drugs (...)" we do not care about some drugs, we want to see if THIS drug will be effective.
You choose C.... Even if C is true, and acid can be attributed to a number of factors, we have not info about the effects of this particular drug, that could or not interfere with the acid production: we cannot infer that hence we DO NOT know.
This is just general info, not useful to prove our point.
We are not concern with not fully established long-term effects...

Hope it's clear

Nope... A small correction.. U gave explanations for the choices tat wer posted along with this question, but i have posted a different set of choices for the same question, which i got in a princeton mock test!! Plz hlp me wit dis :?

GMAT ATTACKK!!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 566 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A new drug has been formulated which is intended to inhibit [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 00:45
This post received
KUDOS
heartbeats1987 wrote:

a)the stomach's inability to break down food will prevent the absorption of stomach acid

b)the absorption of excess stomach acid may result in increased stomach acid production

c)food that is not broken down in the stomach will not be properly absorbed when it reaches the intestines

d)drugs that absorb excess stomach acid will eventually release that acid back into the digestive system

e)the drug will not inhibit ulcer formation by absorbing excess stomach acid because stomach acid will be needed to metabolize the drug

hi,

A new drug has been formulated which is intended to inhibit ulcer formation by absorbing excess stomach acid.

drug is formulated ===>it will absorb excess stomach acid

However, some researchers predict that the resulting reduced levels of stomach acid will interfere with the stomach’s ability to break down food, and the body will compensate by producing more stomach acid

but some researchers are predicting that ==> if stomach acid is reduced===>body will compensate that thing by producing more acid.

now option C:
c)food that is not broken down in the stomach will not be properly absorbed when it reaches the intestines===>SEE THIS IS WRONG ...because nowhere in the argument it is told regarding the absorption of food rather ...there is a talk regarding the absorption of acid===>hence this cant be infered.

option B:
b)the absorption of excess stomach acid may result in increased stomach acid production===>THIS IS CLEARLY STATED...if stomach acid is reduced===>body will compensate that thing by producing more acid.

hope it helps.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Princeton Review Representative
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 158 [1] , given: 0

Re: A new drug has been formulated which is intended to inhibit [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 07:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
this is a support argument, that means that the support does not have to make the paragraph logically complete, just that it provides infomration that makes the conclusion more likely. So we want to make it more likely that the body will compensate by producing more stomach acid.

In this type of question the right answer often appears to be a repeat of information from the passage. However, the passage did not say that the drug will reduce levels below the necessary level, this new information makes it more likely that the reduction in acid will cause the body to compensate.

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

Re: A new drug has been formulated which is intended to inhibit   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2013, 07:11