Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A new hair-growing drug is being sold for three times the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2005, 10:48
Paul,
Thanks again for clarifying that "his" in my case is used as an adjective. So in my example that = fear created by the testimony;

By acting as a relative pronoun, "that" represents the subject of the DC. So would it be fair to say that when a DC is introduced by relative pronoun, it [it=relative pronoun] acts as the subject of the DC.

regards,
gmataquaguy.

Thanks again for the clarification.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2005, 09:39
agree with your above analysis. "that" would then be the subject of the DC whereas "his/her" which follows would be considered adjective.

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC0608 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 21:26
Supercat wrote:
chunjuwu wrote:
A new hair-growing drug is being sold for three times the price, per milligram, as the drug’s maker charges for another product with the same active ingredient.

A. as
B. than
C. that
D. of what
E. at which

Excuse me, I've reviewed all of the discussion before, could anybody tell me why the choice C is erroneous.

It helps to simplify this sentence, especially since some folks are being confused by the commas. This re-write eliminates the unnecessary adjective phrases but does not affect the issues at hand:

A drug is being sold for three times the price -------- the drugmaker charges for another product.

I think this question is very inconclusive.

First, you don't need to fill in the blank at all. Read the above sentence and don't fill in the blank. The sentence is fine without any of the answer choices.

Second, I am not aware of any reason THAT would be incorrect. It's a conjuntion linking two clauses:
X is being sold for three times the price THAT the drugmaker charges for Y.

That seems OK to me.

Third, I think that OF WHAT is a bit awkward but it seems grammatically correct and idiomatic:
X is being sold for three times the price of Y

Here, instead of having a conjuntion link two clauses, you have a preposition "of" and an object of the preposition Y being the phrase "what the drugmaker charges for another product".

This also seems correct to me.

So ... I think there are 3 equally acceptable ways to do this one: (C), (D), and no words there at all. And therefore I would personally guess that this is not a legit ETS question, and would not be on an actual GMAT.

If I'm wrong I'd love to see ETS's explanation.

Here,in the idiom "X is being sold for three times the price of Y", Y is not a price, it's a commodity, thus making the original sentence nonsensical: the drug-maker charges a commodity for something.

So OA is the best one
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC0608 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 04:05
i vote for E
can somebody explain why this is incorrect one?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 234

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A new hair-growing drug is being sold for three times the [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 17:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 22:29
Paul wrote:
Well, there is a flaw with your reasoning. When using words like "his/her", and the latter are followed by a noun, "his/her" will be considered adjectives. Only when they are not followed by a noun will they be considered pronouns. Two examples:

I read his book --> "his" is considered an adjective, not a pronoun, because you can basically replace it by "the blue" and it would be a word qualifying "book".
The book is his --> "his" here is used as a pronoun because it replaces a noun. You could replace it by "Richard's" and you immediately see why it is a pronoun.

Well, I agree that for example 1, you could have said " I read Richard's book" and considered "his" a pronoun but you can't because the rule is that when it is followed by a noun and CAN be replaced by an adjective, it will be an adjective.
Getting back to your example, you can see how "his" is used as an adjective because noun "testimony" follows it. Hence, because "his" is an adjective, it is not referring to anything; it merely gives extra information.

Hi,

I have read the above post. My thought process is :

If "that" is used to introduce essential modifier/restrictive clause then "that" functions as the subject of the clause. However, If "that" is used as in the below statement:

His intentions to identify error indicate that he is an expert.

Here "that" is used as a conjunction to join two clauses. Correct me If I am wrong?

Preparing for the next shot!!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Yale '16, ISB '15, NUS
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.88
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
A new hair growing drug is being sold for three times the pr [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2014, 09:40
A new hair growing drug is being sold for three times the price,per milligram,as the drug's maker charges for another product with the same active ingredient.

1)as
2)than
3)that
4)of what
5) at which.

Please provide explanation.

Thanks,
AB

+1 Kudos if you like and understand.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT Date: 03-04-2014
GPA: 3.77
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 7

Re: SC --- A New Hair [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2014, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert Post
Followers: 268

Kudos [?]: 2297 [0], given: 692

Re: A new hair-growing drug is being sold for three times the [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 03:58
Expert's post
Re: A new hair-growing drug is being sold for three times the   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2014, 03:58