Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 06:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A new hair-growth drug is being sold for three times the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [3] , given: 4

A new hair-growth drug is being sold for three times the [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 21:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

51% (01:43) correct 49% (00:40) wrong based on 115 sessions
A new hair-growth drug is being sold for three times the price, per milligram, as the drug’s maker charges for another product with the same active ingredient.

A.) as

B.) than

C.) that

D.) of what

E.) at which

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross 2013
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Prep 1 New Hair Growth [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 02:55
This post received
KUDOS
look at the sentence from this point of view:

A new hair-growth drug is being sold for three times the price, ....................... the drug’s maker charges for another product with the same active ingredient.

so we need a word that clearly connects two parts, modifying price.
the correct answer here is that (C)

the price that the ....
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross 2013
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Prep 1 New Hair Growth [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 02:57
i f you use than - you need to have the other part of comparison. more than whatever. You can`t just say than here.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 108 [1] , given: 336

Re: GMAT Prep 1 New Hair Growth [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 03:01
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
A new hair-growth drug is being sold for three times the price, per milligram, as the drug’s maker charges for another product with the same active ingredient.

A.) as

B.) than

C.) that

D.) of what

E.) at which

hair-growth drug is being sold for three times the price as the drug’s maker charges(edited)

three times the price as the drug’s maker price

A&B has a similar prob......
is three time more or less than drug makers price?

E is out doesnt even match.

its between

C&D

ill choose C because three times the price of what drug makers are selling (would be more better and apt)

ANS:C

One Final Try.......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT Prep 1 New Hair Growth [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 18:08
you need that here so C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

Re: GMAT Prep 1 New Hair Growth [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 03:12
VERY TOUGH CHOICES BUT GOING FOR D
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Prep 1 New Hair Growth [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 08:42
A new hair-growth drug is being sold for three times the price, per milligram, _______ the drug’s maker charges for another product with the same active ingredient.

A.) as - if we put 'as' in the blank then we need another clause for comparing the price of hair-growth drug. A new drug is sold for 3 times the price, as the maker charges for another product.

B.) than - A new drug is sold for 3 times the price, than the maker charges for another product.

C.) that - A new drug is sold for 3 times the price, that the maker charges for another product.

D.) of what - A new drug is sold for 3 times the price, of what the maker charges for another product.

E.) at which - A new drug is sold for 3 times the price, at whichthe maker charges for another product.
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 310 [3] , given: 109

Re: GMAT Prep 1 New Hair Growth [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 10:00
This post received
KUDOS
+1 C

A.) as - It doesn't make sense. The maker is not charging while the new drug is being sold.

B.) than - Wrong. There is not a comparison in this sentence.

C.) that - Correct. "That" refers to "the price".

D.) of what - ackward.

E.) at which - ackward.

I think I deserve kudos ;)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 17

Re: GMAT Prep 1 New Hair Growth [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 04:17
D... because the way it is usually said is "sold for three times of what other stores charge for the same thing." Try putting these in other daily scenarios..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 15

Re: GMAT Prep 1 New Hair Growth [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 04:32
My pick was D but I guess I can understand the explanation for C..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 87

Re: GMAT Prep 1 New Hair Growth [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2011, 16:59
Why is D wrong??? Can someone please explain in detail ...I am confused...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 4

Re: GMAT Prep 1 New Hair Growth [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 04:11
This post received
KUDOS
siddhans wrote:
Why is D wrong??? Can someone please explain in detail ...I am confused...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

First off -- make sure you understand the meaning of the sentence. What is the author trying to convey?

In simple language ---> There is a new product. The manufacturer of this new product is selling it for 3 times the price of another product (also produced by the same manufacturer). Both these products contain the same ingredients.

Look at choice D closely --

"A new hair-growth drug is being sold for three times the price, per milligram, of which the drug’s maker charges for another product with the same active ingredient".

"Of which" here --> in a sense refers to a price of a price.

An easier approach would be to ignore the "per milligram" modifier.

"A new hair-growth drug is being sold for three times the price OF WHICH the drug’s maker charges for another product with the same active ingredient".

Choice D does not convey the intended meaning of the sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT Prep 1 New Hair Growth [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 18:11
I go with C.

Look at the sentence and ignore per milligram.

A new hair-growth drug is being sold for three times the price....the drug’s maker charges for another product with the same active ingredient.

That fits in nicely. The rest are awkward.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 46

Re: A new hair-growth drug is being sold for three times the [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 22:06
burnttwinky wrote:

A.) as

B.) than

C.) that

D.) of what

E.) at which

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Tough 1 for me.C is the answer...........
Current Student
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 18

Re: A new hair-growth drug is being sold for three times the [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 22:58
burnttwinky wrote:

A.) as

B.) than

C.) that

D.) of what

E.) at which

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Holy monkey.....C was the first one I crossed off. SC is the bane of my existence!!!

Thanks for the question. +1 for rakeshd347 for bringing this one back from the dead.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A new hair-growth drug is being sold for three times the [#permalink] New post 19 May 2014, 00:40
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

Re: GMAT Prep 1 New Hair Growth [#permalink] New post 19 May 2014, 00:44
DevilDoggNC wrote:
siddhans wrote:

First off -- make sure you understand the meaning of the sentence. What is the author trying to convey?

In simple language ---> There is a new product. The manufacturer of this new product is selling it for 3 times the price of another product (also produced by the same manufacturer). Both these products contain the same ingredients.

Look at choice D closely --

"A new hair-growth drug is being sold for three times the price, per milligram, of which the drug’s maker charges for another product with the same active ingredient".

"Of which" here --> in a sense refers to a price of a price.

An easier approach would be to ignore the "per milligram" modifier.

"A new hair-growth drug is being sold for three times the price OF WHICH the drug’s maker charges for another product with the same active ingredient".

Choice D does not convey the intended meaning of the sentence.

Thanks for the explanation, but I would just like to confirm that "of what" in the problem would also be invalid for the reason above too (since you typed of WHICH).
Thanks,
Ted

Aiming for a 750. Let me know if this is possible.
Ted Chou

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1276

Kudos [?]: 3589 [0], given: 185

Re: A new hair-growth drug is being sold for three times the [#permalink] New post 19 May 2014, 17:02
Expert's post
Dear @tedchou12,

I will be glad to help clarify your doubt. I somehow believe that you are still doubtful about this question since you have not understood the crux behind what this question tests. Please do correct me if my supposition is wrong.

To answer your question directly - the explanation provided for "of which" is also applicable for "of what". Can you reason it out why? The reason has actually been presented very well in the explanation above. The key thing here is to understand the intended meaning that the sentence wants to communicate. Once you figure that out you will understand why "of which" or "of what" or "as" are incorrect in the context of this sentence.

Do let me know if you have any follow on questions.

Regards,

Payal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

Re: A new hair-growth drug is being sold for three times the [#permalink] New post 21 May 2014, 00:47
egmat wrote:
Dear @tedchou12,

I will be glad to help clarify your doubt. I somehow believe that you are still doubtful about this question since you have not understood the crux behind what this question tests. Please do correct me if my supposition is wrong.

To answer your question directly - the explanation provided for "of which" is also applicable for "of what". Can you reason it out why? The reason has actually been presented very well in the explanation above. The key thing here is to understand the intended meaning that the sentence wants to communicate. Once you figure that out you will understand why "of which" or "of what" or "as" are incorrect in the context of this sentence.

Do let me know if you have any follow on questions.

Regards,

Payal

Yes, Payal, can you please explain to me what "of which", "of what" and "as" function in this sentence?
Thank you,
Ted

Aiming for a 750. Let me know if this is possible.
Ted Chou

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 67

Re: A new hair-growth drug is being sold for three times the [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2014, 21:31
This question is testing the noun noun modifier .. the correct usage will be introduction of 'that' to replace 'as'.

please bug me in case of questions... I will help :)
Re: A new hair-growth drug is being sold for three times the   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2014, 21:31