Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 07:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A new law gives ownership of patents documents providing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 07:38
d
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 04:24
What's wrong with answer choice E ?
Could anyone elaborate please.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 08:27
il go with D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 13:19
D
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 10:47
D

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: U.S. Navy
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V32
GPA: 3.33
WE: Underwriter (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 19:20
1:04. I got D for this questions.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 104

Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 19:24
D indeed. D clearly points out that there is no corporation that is going to buy these patents.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: A new law gives ownership of patents documents providing [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 17:26
A new law gives ownership of patents—documents providing exclusive right to make and sell an invention—to universities, not the government, when those patents result from government-sponsored university research. Administrators at Logos University plan to sell any patents they acquire to corporations in order to fund programs to improve undergraduate teaching.

Which of the following, if true, would cast most doubt on the viability of the college administrators’ plan described above?

(C) Research scientists at Logos University have few or no teaching responsibilities and participate little if at all in the undergraduate programs in their field.

(D) Government-sponsored research conducted at Logos University for the most part duplicates research already completed by several profit-making corporations.

i read that the argument is about the ownership. But , Do you think C is not weakening the argument ? because i see it DOES !!! ,,,, any thoughts guys ??? why C is wrong ??
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 138

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 4

Re: A new law gives ownership of patents documents providing [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 11:02
Hi Shagalo,

C I'm afraid does not weaken the argument.

To see this clearly we need to put the argument linearly:

- Patents go to universities, when they're funded by gov't
- Logos will give the money from patents to undergrad teaching

It's that simple.

What does C say?

C says researchers don't teach undergrad.

Why does that weaken? The answer is that it doesn't, it talks about what researchers do , why should that affect their funding?

Hope that helps

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 47

Re: A new law gives ownership of patents documents providing [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 18:08
NOBORU....

PLAN - Administrators at Logos University plan to sell any patents they acquire to corporations in order to fund programs to improve undergraduate teaching.

(A) Profit-making corporations interested in developing products based on patents held by universities are likely to try to serve as exclusive sponsors of ongoing university research projects.....SO EVEN IF Profit-making corporations SPONSOR THE RESEARCH PROJECTS .....they are not funding programs to improve undergraduate teaching. WHY SHOULD WE ASSUME THAT THEY PATENTS ARE BEING GIVEN FREE TO THEM and therefore funding programs to improve undergraduate teaching will not occur................INCORRECT

(D) Government-sponsored research conducted at Logos University for the most part duplicates research already completed by several profit-making corporations....THE PLAN WILL FAIL AS CORPORATIONS WILL NOT BUY THE PATENT THEY ALREADY HOLD...............CORRECT.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 05-15-2014

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

CAT Tests
Re: A new law gives ownership of patents documents providing [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2014, 22:01
I have the same doubt as dav373 expressed

I chose chose choice A. I fail to understand how D can be the answer. Here is my reasoning

The conclusion is that college admins plan to sell govt. sponsored patents to corporations to fund under-grad programs. We need to weaken this plan.

Choice D says that government sponsored research mostly duplicates research of corps. Now if the college has the patent, even if corps have duplicate research, corps still cant use the research until they buy the patent. Hence IMO, this choice should not be a weakener

Choice A states that corps may end up being exclusive sponsor of the research project whose patent they want to use. In this case the college would get money for research project from corps instead of govt. But they would not be able to find additional income source for their undergrad programs. Hence this choice weakens the plan.

Can somebody explain why choice D is a better weakener than A
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1264

Kudos [?]: 3515 [0], given: 185

Re: A new law gives ownership of patents documents providing [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 19:08
Expert's post
dipsy001 wrote:
I have the same doubt as dav373 expressed

I chose chose choice A. I fail to understand how D can be the answer. Here is my reasoning

The conclusion is that college admins plan to sell govt. sponsored patents to corporations to fund under-grad programs. We need to weaken this plan.

Choice D says that government sponsored research mostly duplicates research of corps. Now if the college has the patent, even if corps have duplicate research, corps still cant use the research until they buy the patent. Hence IMO, this choice should not be a weakener

Choice A states that corps may end up being exclusive sponsor of the research project whose patent they want to use. In this case the college would get money for research project from corps instead of govt. But they would not be able to find additional income source for their undergrad programs. Hence this choice weakens the plan.

Can somebody explain why choice D is a better weakener than A

Hi dipsy001,

First of all,a very interesting doubt! After a long time, I thought about a CR question for 15 minutes.

I'll first discuss option A and then option D:

Option A:

(A) Profit-making corporations interested in developing products based on patents held by universities are likely to try to serve as exclusive sponsors of ongoing university research projects.

What does it mean?

It means that corporations are likely to do one thing (one thing = exclusive sponsor of ongoing research projects). Does it in any way mean that they will not do the other thing (other thing = fund programs to improve undergraduate teaching)? Rather, on the contrary, the universities may make it a condition for anyone becoming an exclusive sponsor to also fund undergraduate teaching. Isn't it?

Option D:

First of all, your doubt here is different from that of dav373. He said that option D indicates that logos university will not patents and hence, this option is irrelevant since we are talking about patents and not the absence of patents.

On the other hand, you say that if logos university has a patent, then corporations will need to pay logos university to access the payment and therefore, this option does not weaken the argument.

Am I correct in my understanding?

Now, here I agree with dav373 that if the research is duplicate of the research already completed by corporations, then there is hardly a possibility of logos university getting patents. In such a case, since it does not have patents, it will not be able to fund programs to improve undergraduate training. So, now, we are less sure of their plan. Therefore, option D actually weakens the viability of the plan.

Now, you can see that I disagree with dav373 that option D is irrelevant just because it means that logos university will not get patents. If I say that

I plan to sell my upcoming book to pay off my tuition fees.

Can't you weaken my plan by saying that no one will even publish that book?

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: A new law gives ownership of patents documents providing [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 20:11
Hey Chiranjeev,

Thanks for explaining this at length, however I'm still not clear :) :(

I realize after you pointed out, that my query w.r.t. to point D is not same as dav373. Sorry for adding the confusion.

When I read the question, I consider it a given that universities own the patent. The argument clearly states it. Now even if corporations have completed similar research (before or after universities doesn't matter), they wont be able to use their own research, since the universities own the patent for the research. Corporations will have to buy patents from universities before they can use the technology/research.

Option D
(D) Government-sponsored research conducted at Logos University for the most part duplicates research already completed by several profit-making corporations.

If govt sponsored research duplicates research completed by several profit-making corporations, there are only 2 possibilities ->1) corps file the patent first and get it 2) universities file the patent first and they own it. Since, we are not talking about corps filed patents, we can ignore those. For the patents that universities own, even if corps have done duplicate research, they will have to buy the patent from universities.

Now option A

(A) Profit-making corporations interested in developing products based on patents held by universities are likely to try to serve as exclusive sponsors of ongoing university research projects.

The statement as it stands says that companies would want to be exclusive sponsors of research projects. If we say that universities may make it a condition for anyone becoming an exclusive sponsor to also fund undergraduate teaching. Wouldn't that be an additional assumption, which the choice doesn't state? On the other hand, an assumption such as 'corps would want to be exclusive sponsors of research projects only if they can use the research later without buying the patents' seems more likely. Corps wont want to fund the projects for free. This leaves the universities without a sponsor for their undergraduate teaching programs. It's as simple as univs have 2 sources of funds now 1) Govt - Who sponsor the research so that univs can own patents 2) Corps - Who buy the patents which allows univs to make additional income for funding other projects.

With option A, they cut out one of their source. It's definitely a loss and a weakener
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1264

Kudos [?]: 3515 [1] , given: 185

Re: A new law gives ownership of patents documents providing [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 22:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
dipsy001 wrote:
Hey Chiranjeev,

Thanks for explaining this at length, however I'm still not clear :) :(

I realize after you pointed out, that my query w.r.t. to point D is not same as dav373. Sorry for adding the confusion.

When I read the question, I consider it a given that universities own the patent. The argument clearly states it.

Hi Dipsy001,

Where does the argument say that (clearly)? Also, option D is specifically about Logos university. So, do you mean that the argument clearly states that Logos university has patents? I think the argument first talks about universities in general and then specifically about the plan of Logos university.

dipsy001 wrote:
Now even if corporations have completed similar research (before or after universities doesn't matter), they wont be able to use their own research, since the universities own the patent for the research. Corporations will have to buy patents from universities before they can use the technology/research.

Option D

If govt sponsored research duplicates research completed by several profit-making corporations, there are only 2 possibilities ->1) corps file the patent first and get it 2) universities file the patent first and they own it. Since, we are not talking about corps filed patents, we can ignore those. For the patents that universities own, even if corps have done duplicate research, they will have to buy the patent from universities.

This part is relevant only if we know that Logos university has patents. So, I am waiting for your revert on my above question.

dipsy001 wrote:
Now option A

The statement as it stands says that companies would want to be exclusive sponsors of research projects. If we say that universities may make it a condition for anyone becoming an exclusive sponsor to also fund undergraduate teaching. Wouldn't that be an additional assumption, which the choice doesn't state?

Yes, that would be an additional assumption, which you don't need to make. I just gave it as an example. My main reason for rejection was something else: doing one thing does not exclude you from doing the other thing. Would you like to read my explanation again for option A?

dipsy001 wrote:
On the other hand, an assumption such as 'corps would want to be exclusive sponsors of research projects only if they can use the research later without buying the patents' seems more likely. Corps wont want to fund the projects for free.

Now, this assumption is more likely than the previous one. I agree. But it does not mean that we can make this assumption. What if exclusive sponsorship just gives the corporation a right of first refusal to the patent? In such a case, they will in any case need to buy the patent but they will have the first right to buy it. Also, even if the exclusive sponsor does not need to buy this patent, there might be other corporations who will be interested in buying this patent.

dipsy001 wrote:
This leaves the universities without a sponsor for their undergraduate teaching programs.

Cannot say this based on above explanation.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 65

Premium Member
Re: A new law gives ownership of patents documents providing [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 02:29
The question asks us to weaken the conclusion .

The conclusion is "Administrators at Logos University plan to sell any patents they acquire to corporations in order to fund programs to improve undergraduate teaching."

Here the assumption is that "By Selling patents, University will make money to fund undergraduate teaching" .

We need an arguments that weakens this.

"But what if the patents or Research is duplicate/carbon copy of already completed Projects??"
Thus choice D weakens the argument.
Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: A new law gives ownership of patents documents providing [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 19:29
Hey Chiranjeev,

Ok, I see your point.

I was trying to weaken the conclusion "Administrators at Logos University plan to sell any patents they acquire to corporations in order to fund programs to improve undergraduate teaching." as Given that Logos University acquires a patent, weaken their plan of "being able to fund under-grad programs by selling the patent".

I see your approach of weakening this argument( which I now see is the right way) is to weaken their plan as a whole, which could start with weakening the possibility that Logos University will acquire the patent in the first place. Then D rightfully is a stronger weakener.

Wow, that is quite a gap in how I approached the question. Thanks for the detailed clarification :) Kudos to you!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A new law gives ownership of patents documents providing [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2014, 08:30
can someone explain why E is incorrect. Wouldnt the university want to attract companies to sell the product
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 01 May 2014, 17:40
tryingharder wrote:
dav373 wrote:
Whenever I looked at this problem I thought along the lines of, what would make the university not able to allocate funds towards undergraduate programs by not selling their patents.

I eliminated answer D last because it said that a lot of the research they perform is just a duplicate of work performed and completed by for-profit corporations. If it is duplicate research then they would never be awarded a patent which means that this option is irrelevant to the question. All this option states is that most of their research won't result in a patent which is 100% irrelevant (in my mind) to the argument.

I selected A because if the corporations are only willing to allocate their money as a sponsorship and not as outright buying the patents for cash, then the school would not be able to allocate money to their undergraduate program. All you would have is the government and corporations sponsoring additional research but that would not translate in to more money for undergraduate studies.

defintly D it is :wink:

I agree that D is simply wrong. The plan is to make money from patents that they DO get. If the patent has already been filed, they wouldn't win a patent in the first place, so this is irrelevant. The plan is that they make money ONLY off the ones that they DO get. In my opinion, none of the answer choices are correct. It's simply a poorly written question.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: A new law gives ownership of patents documents providing [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2014, 17:45
So I suppose I overthought this one because I picked A.

It sounded to me as if the corporations taking over exclusive sponsorship of the projects would mean that the patents would end up belonging to them, since the amended law concerned the government, not the private sector. D looked very attractive but I figured that research is research, and the question was regarding patents, and since the answer said that the RESEARCH was duplicated but didn't mention any patents accompanying that research by those other companies I figured that was a meaningful omission.

I guess my problem was that I made an assumption to make the connection for A, which took it a bit too far. It's a good reminder to look for evidence that weakens assumptions that the argument makes, or in the case of evaluating a plan that sometimes the plan itself doesn't have a weakness, but rather the people executing it will make errors in judgment.
Re: A new law gives ownership of patents documents providing   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2014, 17:45