Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 02:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A new phenomena, which is visible at Managuas major

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

A new phenomena, which is visible at Managuas major [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 06:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:59) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
15. A new phenomena, which is visible at Managua’s major intersections, are waves of vendors and beggars, which include many children and mob cars at the stoplights.

(A) A new phenomena, which is visible at Managua’s major intersections, are waves of vendors and beggars, which include many children and
(B) Visible at Managua’s major intersections are waves of vendors and beggars with many children, new phenomena that
(C) A new phenomenon visible at Managua’s major intersections is waves of vendors and beggars, many of them children, who
(D) Phenomenally new waves of vendors, beggars, and many children are visible at Managua’s major intersections, which
(E) A wave of vendors and beggars, many of whom are children, are visible at Managua’s major intersections, where they are a new phenomenon and
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 06:55
to clear things up... Phenomena is plural, phenomenon is singular

(A) A new phenomena, which is visible at Managua’s major intersections, are waves of vendors and beggars, which include many children and
SVA error... OUT

(B) Visible at Managua’s major intersections are waves of vendors and beggars with many children, new phenomena that
a phenomenON doesn't mob cars :lol:

(C) A new phenomenon visible at Managua’s major intersections is waves of vendors and beggars, many of them children, who
AHA... this might be IT

(D) Phenomenally new waves of vendors, beggars, and many children are visible at Managua’s major intersections, which
changes the meaning and makes phenomenon an adverb

(E) A wave of vendors and beggars, many of whom are children, are visible at Managua’s major intersections, where they are a new phenomenon and
Who are THEY? intersections... not logical... can't be "A WAVE" either

I am pretty sure this has got to be C
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 07:14
I'm not sure what is the subject: phenomen or waves.
Initially, I thought "waves are a phenomen". But now I loosing my confidence. However, here my raisonment.

15. A new phenomena, which is visible at Managua’s major intersections, are waves of vendors and beggars, which include many children and mob cars at the stoplights.

wrong : parrallelism

wrong : phenomena doesn't mob
wrong : waves subject=>are should it be

wrong, intersections dont mob

remaining. correct even I don't like it at all.
Like "a number of", "a wave of" should be plural...? :?
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 07:29
karlfurt wrote:
remaining. correct even I don't like it at all.
Like "a number of", "a wave of" should be plural...? :?

E can't be correct at all costs... consider this:

A wave of vendors and beggars, many of whom are children, are visible at Managua’s major intersections, where they are a new phenomenon and

this is clear SVA error... A wave IS visible... [many of whom are children] is a modifier for beggars. this is a common mistake though...

karlfurt wrote:
I'm not sure what is the subject: phenomen or waves.

you have to look at the construction of a sentence to be able to figure this out... In the intial sentence (original) you see the Phenomena as subject, so you should pick the answer as close to that as possible... thus the 2 gramatically correct choices that have 2 different subjects, you must pick the one that has the subject used in the original... does this make sense?

karlfurt wrote:
wrong : waves subject=>are should it be

your assumption that waves is the subject is incorrect.

A new phenomenon [visible at Managua’s major intersections] is (WHAT?) waves of vendors and beggars, many of them children, who

karlfurt wrote:
Like "a number of", "a wave of" should be plural...?

not true at all... "a number of" is a special case... you can't apply this rule to a wave!

hope this clears up your doubts
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 07:32
If you can count a nown then its plural. If its a collective noun or not countable like "a wave" then its singular.

pls correct me if i am wrong
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 08:04

Phenomena = Plural
Phenomenon = Singular

"someone" has to mob the cars

Requires "who"
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 09:05
OA: C

one doubt on C though

...of them children, who

I thought the vendor & beggers mob mars.
'who' after 'childern' means the childern, who mob cars ...changes the meaning ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 09:22
u2lover wrote:
to clear things up... Phenomena is plural, phenomenon is singular

SVA error... OUT

a phenomenON doesn't mob cars :lol:

AHA... this might be IT

changes the meaning and makes phenomenon an adverb

Who are THEY? intersections... not logical... can't be "A WAVE" either

I am pretty sure this has got to be C

I have a point here the SVA problem here exist because A phenomena does not agree with which is right?...... because getting rid of the part in between the 2 commas the sentence continue with are...... so there is agreement..... so both which is and are waves should agree in order to be the sentence correct......

“If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.â€

VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 09:29
Gauss,

same thing... doesn't change anything...

SVA error... OUT

A phenomena is PLURAL... it is used incorrectly... artcile "A" is wrong
A phenomenon is SINGULAR...

so even a better reason to delete A... cause it uses BOTH SVAs (phenomena, is..., are) wrong... both verbs refer to the same subject

Last edited by u2lover on 25 Jul 2006, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 13

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 09:29
rkatl wrote:
OA: C

one doubt on C though

...of them children, who

I thought the vendor & beggers mob mars.
'who' after 'childern' means the childern, who mob cars ...changes the meaning ?

many of them children is separated by commas and hence is a non-restrictive phrase; thus it is non-essential to the overall meaning of the sentence and hence can be ignored. in such situations the pronoun always points to the nearest subject which is vendors and beggars
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2006, 10:02
In C).....vendors and beggars, many of them children, who....

is it missing "are"? should it be "many of them are children"?
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2006, 04:56
The critical elements of this SC revisted:

A.... phenomenon....is..................children, who..............

(C)
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2006, 06:25
we can say: ... , many of whom are children,... or ..., many of them children,...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 104

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A new phenomena, which is visible at Managuas major [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2014, 03:34
rkatl wrote:

Sentence meaning:
There a new phenomena with following characteristics:
1. visible at Managua’s major intersections
2. is waves of vendors and beggars (including children) who mob cars at the stoplights

Error:
S-V agreement: a new phenomena needs singular verb --> incorrect use of "are"
Modifier: "Which" refers to things whereas vendors and beggars are human.

POE:
S-V agreement --> A & E are eliminated
B & D: "phenomena/intersections" can't mob cars. --> eliminate B&D
C: correct use of is and who. --> correct answer.

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3

Re: A new phenomena, which is visible at Managuas major   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2014, 03:34