Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A new phenomena, which is visible at Managuas major

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
A new phenomena, which is visible at Managuas major [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 15:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:41) correct 21% (00:43) wrong based on 122 sessions
A new phenomena, which is visible at Managua’s major intersections, are waves of vendors and beggars, which include many children and mob cars at the stoplights.

(A) A new phenomena, which is visible at Managua’s major intersections, are waves of vendors and beggars, which include many children and
(B) Visible at Managua’s major intersections are waves of vendors and beggars with many children, new phenomena that
(C) A new phenomenon visible at Managua’s major intersections is waves of vendors and beggars, many of them children, who
(D) Phenomenally new waves of vendors, beggars, and many children are visible at Managua’s major intersections, which
(E) A wave of vendors and beggars, many of whom are children, are visible at Managua’s major intersections, where they are a new phenomenon and
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by Zarrolou on 05 Jun 2013, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question, added OA.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 46

Re: A new phenomena [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 12:12
mostwantedjatt wrote:
c

Hi

Could you please explain why C, it ends with who followed by and mob cars.... i am finding hard to make sense out of it
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: A new phenomena [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 22:03
ISBtarget wrote:
mostwantedjatt wrote:
c

Hi

Could you please explain why C, it ends with who followed by and mob cars.... i am finding hard to make sense out of it

C is correct.
mostwantedjatt, C doesnt have who and mob cars. "and" is underlined and C makes the sentence as "who mob cars".
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan, BU School of Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: A new phenomena [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 00:45
noboru wrote:
A new phenomena, which is visible at Managua’s major intersections, are waves of vendors and beggars, which include many children and mob cars at the stoplights.
(A) A new phenomena, which is visible at Managua’s major intersections, are waves of vendors and beggars, which include many children and
(B) Visible at Managua’s major intersections are waves of vendors and beggars with many children, new phenomena that
(C) A new phenomenon visible at Managua’s major intersections is waves of vendors and beggars, many of them children, who
(D) Phenomenally new waves of vendors, beggars, and many children are visible at Managua’s major intersections, which
(E) A wave of vendors and beggars, many of whom are children, are visible at Managua’s major intersections, where they are a new phenomenon and

I'm confused about the usage of many of them children in option (C). In my opinion, the correct usage should be many of them are children.

Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. ----Russell

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: A new phenomena [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 01:48
Caroline121 wrote:
noboru wrote:

I'm confused about the usage of many of them children in option (C). In my opinion, the correct usage should be many of them are children.

if you add "are" you have a run-on sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: A new phenomena [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 17:27
1st point :- phenomena is plural and phenomenon is singular - here you need singular so , phenomenon
knowing that will narrow your choice to C
2nd point :- many of them who is a non-essential modifier and does not impact the sentence ,this can be used with without are in this particular sentence

Answer:C

Always tag your question

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: A new phenomena [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 02:18
C is the best option - its pretty clear 'children' who mob the car

Watss the OA ?

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: A new phenomena [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 00:31
C for me as well
not underlined questions can get really confusing.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: A new phenomena [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 11:48
OK, OA is C.
However I have a SVA issue. C says: A new phenomenon is waves??

Should not it be "are"???

Please clarify.
Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wisconsin, Carlson, McCombs, Ross, Stern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: A new phenomena [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 11:59
This post received
KUDOS
noboru wrote:
OK, OA is C.

Please clarify.
Thanks.

The subject is phenomena, which is singular. First rule of grammar: subject and verb have to agree. You don't say "The dog are small, brown, and furry." The working verb has to agree with the subject, regardless of the content of the rest of the sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: A new phenomena [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 12:12
Thanks abushey31 for the explanation. I had the same question as noboru
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: A new phenomena [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 08:07
(C)

(C) A new phenomenon visible at Managua’s major intersections is waves of vendors and beggars, many of them children, who --> CORRECT

Raptor

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: A new phenomena [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 00:57
Hi all,

I would like to know why we can say "many of them children" but not "many of them ARE children" ???

Thank you in advance.
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: A new phenomena [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 03:50
Phenomenon - singular

Phenomena - plural.

C usage is correct for 'is'

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 28

Re: A new phenomena [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 16:23
abushey31 wrote:
noboru wrote:
OK, OA is C.

Please clarify.
Thanks.

The subject is phenomena, which is singular. First rule of grammar: subject and verb have to agree. You don't say "The dog are small, brown, and furry." The working verb has to agree with the subject, regardless of the content of the rest of the sentence.

You may take off some mediator words(visible at Managua’s major intersections) and put it as to resolve your predicament on SVA :) .
A new phenomenon [strike]visible at Managua’s major intersections[/strike]is waves of vendors and beggars, many of them children, who

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: A new phenomena, which is visible at Managuas major [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 16:06
(C)-It is the best answer because it maintains the grammatical rules. Here, 'A new phenomenon visible at Managua’s major intersections' is the subject of the sentence(heavy subject). 'Many of them' refers to the 'vendors and beggars'. Comparing other alternatives, I have picked this answer. Still the use of 'cars'(as a verb) is not clear.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: A new phenomena [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 21:34
TrueLie wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to know why we can say "many of them children" but not "many of them ARE children" ???

Thank you in advance.

Option c-- A new phenomenon visible at Managua’s major intersections is waves of vendors and beggars, many of them children, who

What i feel is the use of 'are' changes the meaning. The modifer 'who' modifies the vendors and beggars whereas if use 'are' who modifies the children only.

Please correct if i am wrong.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 09-10-2012

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: A new phenomena, which is visible at Managuas major [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 04:15
gssg wrote:
(C)-It is the best answer because it maintains the grammatical rules. Here, 'A new phenomenon visible at Managua’s major intersections' is the subject of the sentence(heavy subject). 'Many of them' refers to the 'vendors and beggars'. Comparing other alternatives, I have picked this answer. Still the use of 'cars'(as a verb) is not clear.

"Cars" is not a verb here....verb is "mob" and cars is an object of this verb.
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 75

Re: A new phenomena, which is visible at Managuas major [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 05:46
are-a new phenomena?incorrect
which-modifying incorrect subject

are-incorrect
that-incorrectly placed/used

who is referring children-correct
a new phenomena-is - correct

phenomenally-incorrect
meaning is collapsed.
(E) A wave of vendors and beggars, many of whom are children, are visible at Managua’s major intersections, where they are a new phenomenon and[/quote]
meaning is collapsed, ..."where they are a new phenomena..." is incorrect.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 14

Re: A new phenomena, which is visible at Managuas major [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 09:16
A – waves of beggars are at major intersections. This is not clear. Mob is an action that has no subject. Eliminate
B – doesn’t make any sense. Phenomena that mob cars!?Eliminate
C – Clear and concise.
D – changes meaning. Eliminate
E – changes meaning. Eliminate
Re: A new phenomena, which is visible at Managuas major   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2012, 09:16