Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: I will be back!
Joined: 13 Feb 2012
Posts: 69
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [2] , given: 38

A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 22:52
2
This post received
KUDOS
8
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (medium)

Question Stats:

51% (03:43) correct 49% (06:10) wrong based on 138 sessions
A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to mark sale items with red tags, and she has marked 30% of the store items for sale. However, 20% of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices are now marked for sale, and 55% of the items that are supposed to be marked for sale are marked with regular prices. What percent of the items that are marked for sale are supposed to be marked with regular prices?

A. 30%
B. 35%
C. 40%
D. 45%
E. 50%
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

--shadab
Gmat FlashCard For Anki


Last edited by Bunuel on 19 Apr 2012, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.
Added the OA
Expert Post
10 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18678
Followers: 3229

Kudos [?]: 22157 [10] , given: 2599

Re: A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 00:42
10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
shadabkhaniet wrote:
A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to mark sale items with red tags, and she has marked 30% of the store items for sale. However, 20% of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices are now marked for sale, and 55% of the items that are supposed to be marked for sale are marked with regular prices. What percent of the items that are marked for sale are supposed to be marked with regular prices?

A. 30%
B. 35%
C. 40%
D. 45%
E. 50%


# of items 100 (assume);
# of items that should be marked for sale is x;
# of items that should be at the regular price is 100-x;
# of items that are actually marked for sale 0.3*100=30.

Let's see how many items are marked for sale:
20% of 100-x (20% of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices (100-x) are now marked for sale);
100-55=45% of x (since 55% of the items that are supposed to be marked for sale (x) are marked with regular prices, then the remaining 45% of x are marked for sale);

So, 0.2(100-x)+0.45x=30 --> x=40 (# of items that should be marked for sale).

So, # of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices is 0.2*(100-40)=12, which is 12/30*100=40% of # of items that are actually marked for sale.

Answer: C.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: I will be back!
Joined: 13 Feb 2012
Posts: 69
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 38

Re: A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 00:55
Bunuel wrote:
shadabkhaniet wrote:
A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to mark sale items with red tags, and she has marked 30% of the store items for sale. However, 20% of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices are now marked for sale, and 55% of the items that are supposed to be marked for sale are marked with regular prices. What percent of the items that are marked for sale are supposed to be marked with regular prices?

A. 30%
B. 35%
C. 40%
D. 45%
E. 50%


# of items 100 (assume);
# of items that should be marked for sale is x;
# of items that should be at the regular price is 100-x;
# of items that are actually marked for sale 0.3*100=30.

Let's see how many items are marked for sale:
20% of 100-x (20% of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices (100-x) are now marked for sale);
100-55=45% of x (since 55% of the items that are supposed to be marked for sale (x) are marked with regular prices, then the remaining 45% of x are marked for sale);

So, 0.2(100-x)+0.45x=30 --> x=40 (# of items that should be marked for sale).

So, # of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices is 0.2*(100-40)=12, which is 12/30*100=40% of # of items that are actually marked for sale.

Answer: C.


Thanks bunnel
I had a hard time understanding this question.
_________________

--shadab
Gmat FlashCard For Anki

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4558
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1026

Kudos [?]: 4442 [4] , given: 162

Re: A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 06:30
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shadabkhaniet wrote:
A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to mark sale items with red tags, and she has marked 30% of the store items for sale. However, 20% of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices are now marked for sale, and 55% of the items that are supposed to be marked for sale are marked with regular prices. What percent of the items that are marked for sale are supposed to be marked with regular prices?

A. 30%
B. 35%
C. 40%
D. 45%
E. 50%


Say there are 100 items in the store. Some of them are sale items (those that should be marked for sale) and the rest are regular items (should have regular prices)

20% of regular items are marked for sale. 45% of sale items are marked for sale (since 55% of sale items have regular prices). Total 30% of the items are marked for sale. So 30 items are marked for sale.
Does it remind you of something? Weighted Average!

regular items/sale items = w1/w2 = (45 - 30)/(30 - 20) = 3/2

Total 60% (=3/5) of the items are regular items. 20% of them are marked for sale so number of regular items marked for sale = 20% of 60 = 12
Out of the 30 items marked for sale, 12 are actually regular items which is 12/30 *100 = 40%
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2011
Posts: 98
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 65

Re: A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 06:55
1
This post received
KUDOS
Understand these questions carefully. You are guaranteed to get something similar in the exam.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 15

Re: A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 21:30
1
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks Bunnel. That was very helpful.

I arrived at C as well, however I used plugging in. (I happened to plug in 100 as total and 40 as number of items that should be on sale, hence arrived at C as well!)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2010
Posts: 81
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 64 [1] , given: 26

GMAT Tests User
percentages [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 00:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to mark sale items with red tags, and she has marked 30% of the store items for sale. However, 20% of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices are now marked for sale, and 55% of the items that are supposed to be marked for sale are marked with regular prices. What percent of the items that are marked for sale are supposed to be marked with regular prices?

A. 30%
B. 35%
C. 40%
D. 45%
E. 50%

Hi Bunuel: I am sure you can provide a more better way to tackle this one
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Posts: 337
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 33

Re: Kaplan free test PS - percentages [#permalink] New post 26 May 2012, 21:15
I found this problem to be thoroughly confusing in language!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18678
Followers: 3229

Kudos [?]: 22157 [1] , given: 2599

Re: Kaplan free test PS - percentages [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 03:03
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
vibhav wrote:
A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to mark sale items with red tags, and she has marked 30% of the store items for sale. However, 20% of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices are now marked for sale, and 55% of the items that are supposed to be marked for sale are marked with regular prices. What percent of the items that are marked for sale are supposed to be marked with regular prices?

1.30%
2.35%
3.40%
4.45%
5.50%


Merging similar topics. Please ask if anything remains unclear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Posts: 337
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 33

Re: A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 03:31
thanks guys! deciphering the language itself under time pressure seemed too much for me!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 213
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 13

Re: A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 20:36
1
This post received
KUDOS
Book marking for future reference : Vote for C

Total items : 100
Marked for Sale: 30%(100) = 30

Total Retail P items = x
Total Sales P items = (100-x)

20% of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices are now marked for sale
20%(x) - marked for sale by mistake

55% of the items that are supposed to be marked for sale are marked with regular prices.
therefore, 45% of items marked correctly with sales price

So total we have

20%(x) + 45% (100-x) = 30

(20x + 4500 - 45x) / 100 = 30

4500 - 3000 = 25x

x = 60 (total items for retail price)

therefore total items for sales are = 40

20%(x) = 20%(60) = 12 items tagged wrongly for sale

therefore,

12 = z% (30)
z = 40%
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2012
Posts: 95
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 460 Q38 V17
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.56
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 134

Re: A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 00:49
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
shadabkhaniet wrote:
A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to mark sale items with red tags, and she has marked 30% of the store items for sale. However, 20% of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices are now marked for sale, and 55% of the items that are supposed to be marked for sale are marked with regular prices. What percent of the items that are marked for sale are supposed to be marked with regular prices?

A. 30%
B. 35%
C. 40%
D. 45%
E. 50%


Say there are 100 items in the store. Some of them are sale items (those that should be marked for sale) and the rest are regular items (should have regular prices)

20% of regular items are marked for sale. 45% of sale items are marked for sale (since 55% of sale items have regular prices). Total 30% of the items are marked for sale. So 30 items are marked for sale.
Does it remind you of something? Weighted Average!

regular items/sale items = w1/w2 = (45 - 30)/(30 - 20) = 3/2

Total 60% (=3/5) of the items are regular items. 20% of them are marked for sale so number of regular items marked for sale = 20% of 60 = 12
Out of the 30 items marked for sale, 12 are actually regular items which is 12/30 *100 = 40%


Hi,
Can you explain more about the weighted average ?Thanks
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 613
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 474 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 09:53
Here is a pure algebraic approach:

If in the store there are R items that should sell at regular price, and S items that should sell at reduced price,
then the total number of items is R + S.
30% of them, or 0.3(R + S) items are now marked for sale and this is comprised of 0.2R and 0.45S,
as wrongly 20% of the regular items, and only 45% of the sale items were marked for sale (55% of the sale items were marked regular).
So, 0.3(R + S) = 0.2R + 0.45S, from which we can deduce that 0.1R = 0.15S, or 2R = 3S.

We have to evaluate the ratio \frac{0.2R}{0.3(R+S)} - out of those marked for sale, what fraction/percentage should be marked regular.

\frac{0.2R}{0.3(R+S)}=\frac{2R}{3R+3S}=\frac{2R}{3R+2R}=\frac{2R}{5R}=\frac{2}{5}=40%.

Hence, answer C.
_________________

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4558
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1026

Kudos [?]: 4442 [0], given: 162

Re: A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 20:51
Expert's post
farukqmul wrote:
Hi,
Can you explain more about the weighted average ?Thanks


Here you go:

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/03 ... -averages/
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/04 ... ge-brutes/
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/04 ... -mixtures/
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1727
Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 07:21
+1 C

Use the chart to solve sets. And be careful in distinguis between a percentage of the total and a percentage of a particular group.
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Feb 2012
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 22:46
Bunuel wrote:
shadabkhaniet wrote:
A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to mark sale items with red tags, and she has marked 30% of the store items for sale. However, 20% of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices are now marked for sale, and 55% of the items that are supposed to be marked for sale are marked with regular prices. What percent of the items that are marked for sale are supposed to be marked with regular prices?

A. 30%
B. 35%
C. 40%
D. 45%
E. 50%


# of items 100 (assume);
# of items that should be marked for sale is x;
# of items that should be at the regular price is 100-x;
# of items that are actually marked for sale 0.3*100=30.

Let's see how many items are marked for sale:
20% of 100-x (20% of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices (100-x) are now marked for sale);
100-55=45% of x (since 55% of the items that are supposed to be marked for sale (x) are marked with regular prices, then the remaining 45% of x are marked for sale);

So, 0.2(100-x)+0.45x=30 --> x=40 (# of items that should be marked for sale).

So, # of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices is 0.2*(100-40)=12, which is 12/30*100=40% of # of items that are actually marked for sale.

Answer: C.


Did not understand - 100-55=45% of x (since 55% of the items that are supposed to be marked for sale (x) are marked with regular prices, then the remaining 45% of x are marked for sale)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 299
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 04:55
Bunuel wrote:
shadabkhaniet wrote:
A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to mark sale items with red tags, and she has marked 30% of the store items for sale. However, 20% of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices are now marked for sale, and 55% of the items that are supposed to be marked for sale are marked with regular prices. What percent of the items that are marked for sale are supposed to be marked with regular prices?

A. 30%
B. 35%
C. 40%
D. 45%
E. 50%


# of items 100 (assume);
# of items that should be marked for sale is x;
# of items that should be at the regular price is 100-x;
# of items that are actually marked for sale 0.3*100=30.

Let's see how many items are marked for sale:
20% of 100-x (20% of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices (100-x) are now marked for sale);
100-55=45% of x (since 55% of the items that are supposed to be marked for sale (x) are marked with regular prices, then the remaining 45% of x are marked for sale);

So, 0.2(100-x)+0.45x=30 --> x=40 (# of items that should be marked for sale).

So, # of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices is 0.2*(100-40)=12, which is 12/30*100=40% of # of items that are actually marked for sale.

Answer: C.


Bunuel - Can we do this problem via 2 set matrix / charts. Could you please show us how?. It will be really helpful. My sincere thanks.

Cheers
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 1701
Followers: 162

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2014, 06:59
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Posts: 27
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 854

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to [#permalink] New post 12 May 2014, 20:59
Can this problem be solved using the double-set matrix technique?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2014
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Re: A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2014, 17:05
Dienekes wrote:
Can this problem be solved using the double-set matrix technique?



I think this could be better understood if using this 2x2 Matrix attached.
Attachments

Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 8.01.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 8.01.12 PM.png [ 13.68 KiB | Viewed 72 times ]

Re: A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2014, 17:05
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 If the new department store would open by Thanksgiving honchos 8 01 Aug 2013, 12:07
If the new department store would open by Thanksgiving, it GetThisDone 6 21 Apr 2012, 10:18
In a certain department store, which has four sizes of a Dr.Amz 3 14 Apr 2006, 16:09
In a certain department store, which has four sizes of a maaverick 4 30 Dec 2004, 07:24
Mary, a veterinary student, has been assigned an experiment doggita 5 10 Nov 2004, 18:59
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.