Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 06:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A new species of fish has just been discovered living in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 143

Premium Member
A new species of fish has just been discovered living in [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 20:28
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

18% (02:51) correct 82% (01:31) wrong based on 260 sessions
A new species of fish has just been discovered living in great numbers in the waters off Papua New Guinea. The fish exhibits some characteristics belonging to sharks, such as a cartilaginous skeleton. However, the fish also exhibits characteristics belonging to eels, such as a long, snake-like body. Because of the habitat where it was found and its obviously eel-like body, almost all scientists believe that the fish is an eel. But the cartilaginous skeleton puzzles them, since no known eel possesses one. So scientists are still unsure as to the fish's precise classification, but they agreed immediately that the most logical classification would be as either a shark or an eel.

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which of the following?

A. To be placed into a certain classification, a fish must possess all the characteristics of that classification.
B. Physical characteristics, such as skeletons, are scientists' primary means of classifying new species.
C. Some fish with cartilaginous skeletons are not sharks.
D. The waters off Papua New Guinea are generally hospitable to eels.
E. A fish cannot be both a shark and an eel.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 57

Re: A new species of fish has just been discovered living in [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 02:39
Hi,

My answer was "Option C".

Can you please explain why "Option D" is correct and others are not?
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 167 [3] , given: 4

Re: A new species of fish has just been discovered living in [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 02:54
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Prateek,

Let me see if I can help.

The issue with your answer C, is that no where in the passage does it suggest that there are other fish that are not sharks with a cartilaginous skeleton. In fact it says the opposite - the problem scientists are having is that they've not come across such a thing in an eel like fish before.

D is correct, because you can infer that because many scientists are happy to call this fish an eel, that eel's must be found close to Papa New Guinea.

Does that make sense?

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 131

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: A new species of fish has just been discovered living in [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 05:48
I marked E. The last sentence made me more inclined towards E
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A new species of fish has just been discovered living in [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 10:47
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Prateek,

Let me see if I can help.

The issue with your answer C, is that no where in the passage does it suggest that there are other fish that are not sharks with a cartilaginous skeleton. In fact it says the opposite - the problem scientists are having is that they've not come across such a thing in an eel like fish before.

D is correct, because you can infer that because many scientists are happy to call this fish an eel, that eel's must be found close to Papa New Guinea.

Does that make sense?

James

I chose A .

..So scientists are still unsure as to the fish's precise classification, but they agreed immediately that the most logical classification would be as either a shark or an eel...

What I inferred from here is that scientist are in dilemma and they are not able to classify the fish as an eel or as shark cause they are bound by some rules. Option A told the same ...To be placed into a certain classification, a fish must possess all the characteristics of that classification .. If this rule is not there then they could have easily classified the fish as an eel or as a shark based on few characteristics (must not possess all).

Please enlighten me.

The First and Last time !!!

BKPL - Below Kudos Poverty Line .....Need your help.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-25-2013
GPA: 3.66

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 30

Re: A new species of fish has just been discovered living in [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 10:51
b2bt wrote:
I marked E. The last sentence made me more inclined towards E

Even I marked E as my answer.

Can someone please explain this question???? :?

Strive for Excellence....!!!!!

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 74 [2] , given: 143

Premium Member
Re: A new species of fish has just been discovered living in [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 19:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is OE given by Kaplan.

Conclusion: This is an inference question that asks us to draw a conclusion from the information provided. What must also be true given the stimulus?

Evidence: Since we need to draw our own conclusion, we can use all facts provided in the argument as evidence.

The first sentence states that the new fish was discovered off the waters of Papua New Guinea. In addition, the sentence 4 states that the new fish shares its habitat with the eel. In combination, these two sentences indicate that eels also live in the waters off Papua New Guinea. So this region must be hospitable to eels, as stated in (D).

(A) doesn't follow from the information given. The last sentence implies that the new fish could be classified as a shark even though it does not have a cartilaginous skeleton Also, it is extreme in its use of the word all. With (B), the importance of physical characteristics relative to other characteristics is not discussed. With (C), if the new fish were to be classified as an eel, then we could conclude that at least one fish with a cartilaginous skeleton is not a shark. The stimulus, however, never says this. Furthermore, we aren't told anything about other fish classifications. And with (E), the last sentence states that the new fish will probably be classified as either a shark or an eel, but suggests nothing about an animal being both. Though this choice may seem true, we don't know for certain.

Hope it helps!!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 397

Re: A new species of fish has just been discovered living in [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
mba1382 wrote:
A new species of fish has just been discovered living in great numbers in the waters off Papua New Guinea. The fish exhibits some characteristics belonging to sharks, such as a cartilaginous skeleton. However, the fish also exhibits characteristics belonging to eels, such as a long, snake-like body. Because of the habitat where it was found and its obviously eel-like body, almost all scientists believe that the fish is an eel. But the cartilaginous skeleton puzzles them, since no known eel possesses one. So scientists are still unsure as to the fish's precise classification, but they agreed immediately that the most logical classification would be as either a shark or an eel.

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which of the following?

A. To be placed into a certain classification, a fish must possess all the characteristics of that classification.
B. Physical characteristics, such as skeletons, are scientists' primary means of classifying new species.
C. Some fish with cartilaginous skeletons are not sharks.
D. The waters off Papua New Guinea are generally hospitable to eels.
E. A fish cannot be both a shark and an eel.

I discussed this question with my teacher and his answer was direct: this will never be on a GMAT exam!

The reason he evoked is that "generally" is not correct in the answer choices. Generally could mean that only 60% of the waters off Papua new Guinea are hospitable to eels and therefore, the conclusion is not obvious and is ambiguous!

A. To be placed into a certain classification, a fish must possess all the characteristics of that classification. - "All" is incorrect - Wrong
B. Physical characteristics, such as skeletons, are scientists' primary means of classifying new species. - Not stated - Wrong
C. Some fish with cartilaginous skeletons are not sharks. - Can not logically conclued this from text - Wrong

The answer E is an extrapolation that is too extreme to be stated. "A fish (meaning all the kind of fish) cannot be a shark and an eel"

Answer D is correct but really badly formulated...

This will never be on the GMAT exam...

Think outside the box

Re: A new species of fish has just been discovered living in   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2013, 10:28