Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 22:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A new study suggests that the conversational pace of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 3

A new study suggests that the conversational pace of [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 19:17
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (02:21) correct 20% (01:23) wrong based on 10 sessions
A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk it
hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and,
the result is, to make sense of speech.
A. it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and
words and, the result is, to make
B. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and
words and, as a result, to make
C. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and
words and, the result of this, they are unable to make
D. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and
words, and results in not making
E. as to hamper the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and
words, resulting in being unable to make
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: conversational pace [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 19:34
Quote:
A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk it
hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and,
A. it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and
B. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and
C. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and
D. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and
E. as to hamper the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and

I would go for C.
so...that idiom
they represent the children which removes the confusion

PS: please underline the phrase.

Keep trying no matter how hard it seems, it will get easier.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: conversational pace [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 21:07
C would have been the best option as vannu said above, but the phrase "the result of this" is incomplete. Is that a typo? If not, C is wrong. I would pick D in that case
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: conversational pace [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 21:44
Another one for D

A 'that is required, eliminate A & E. B sound awkward to me. C sounds too wordy. Leaves D.
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: conversational pace [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2009, 01:53
What's wrong with B?

B makes sense as the intention is to say that ability is hampered and not completely gone.
Quote:
the result is, to make
sense of speech.

A,E are gone for idiom: ability to

D has the problem:
the conversational pace of everyday life hampers the ability of children to .. and results in not making sense of speech (of whom children are not implicit in here)
Also the intention is to say hampering the ability not loosing it.

C says they are unable => extreme and changes the meaning

hampering the ability doesn't imply that the person doesn't have the ability.
If original question intend to say that they are unable, then C would be the correct choice.

-------------
Please underline the SC question segment

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: conversational pace [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2009, 08:58
c is wrong because "to make" is incorrect in C. ".......hampers the ability...., as a result, to make sense of speech"

the last phrase itself doesnt make sense.

And also, if the ability to distinguish sounds and words is hampered, speech will not make sense. To make sense of speech, every requirement must be fulfilled properly. If children distinguish between words and sounds partially, they will still not be able to make sense of speech.
Go with the holistic meaning of the phrase.
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: conversational pace [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2009, 11:07
B.
to distinguish is needed, B looks the best.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: conversational pace [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2009, 11:34
ritjn2003 wrote:

I go with D. ( B and D left but B doesn't sound right to me).

So X that Y is better than So as to Y.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: conversational pace [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2009, 12:21
Economist wrote:
B.
to distinguish is needed, B looks the best.

What was i thinking?? B should be the best option.

"... hampers the ability to distinguish...., and as a result, to make sense..."

ie, it hampers ability to X and to Y

very confusing because of the middlemen.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: conversational pace [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2009, 12:46
Guys...i am also feeling C... it is lenghty, but also clear. :)

Whats the OA ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: conversational pace [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2009, 19:31
words and, the result is, to make ((for distinguishing is incorrect idiom))
words and, as a result, to make (and..to make is awkard)
words and, the result of this, they are unable to make (best answer also, some children to distinguish…they are unable to.)
words, and results in not making – (ignore the middle phrases, conversational pace of everyday life results in not making – what ????, the children should not be able to..)
words, resulting in being unable to make (for distinguishing is incorrect idiom)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: conversational pace [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 13:19
I would go with B
ability to correct idiom

A and E out
C wordy and pronoun referent problems, as a result is much better than the result of this
D violates parallelism
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 159 [1] , given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: conversational pace [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 10:37
This post received
KUDOS
OA is B as per the following link:
sc-children-speech-15452.html?highlight=conversational+pace

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: A new study suggests that the conversational pace of [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 14:04
I took B because the other choices contained flaws.

However, I have a gerneral question about the use of "it". I thought that "it" could possibly refer to study instead of pace. Is this ruled out by "that", which introduces a realtive clause? I know it is not asked in the question but in other SC problems there are a lot of unclear referent issues...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 207 [1] , given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: A new study suggests that the conversational pace of [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 16:59
This post received
KUDOS
fiendex wrote:
I took B because the other choices contained flaws.

However, I have a gerneral question about the use of "it". I thought that "it" could possibly refer to study instead of pace. Is this ruled out by "that", which introduces a realtive clause? I know it is not asked in the question but in other SC problems there are a lot of unclear referent issues...

You can accept certain ambiguity in pronouns. They should be your last split when you eliminate the choices, except if there is a non-sense pronoun.

Also, notice that "it" is parallel with "conversacional pace". Both are subjects in their clauses.
When that happens, there is less ambiguity. But the sentences must be parallel.

+1 B

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

Re: conversational pace [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 04:16
sudeep wrote:
What's wrong with B?

B makes sense as the intention is to say that ability is hampered and not completely gone.
Quote:
the result is, to make
sense of speech.

A,E are gone for idiom: ability to

D has the problem:
the conversational pace of everyday life hampers the ability of children to .. and results in not making sense of speech (of whom children are not implicit in here)
Also the intention is to say hampering the ability not loosing it.

C says they are unable => extreme and changes the meaning

hampering the ability doesn't imply that the person doesn't have the ability.
If original question intend to say that they are unable, then C would be the correct choice.

-------------
Please underline the SC question segment

Why is it wrong to say: conversational pace "hampers" X and "results" in Y

Do you mean that the pace itself doesn't result in Y but it only hampers X? Is that why D is wrong?
Does the sentence actually should mean: the pace hampers the ability to X and, as a result, to Y?

Another question:
Should it not be: "the pace hampers the ability to X, and to Y" instead of "the pace hampers the ability to X and, to Y" (as in option B)

I somehow mess everytime in sentences carrying "as a result/results/resulting in". I seem to agree with the explanation after selecting the wrong choice though. Do you have a tip or two to share here?

Thanks a lot.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

Re: A new study suggests that the conversational pace of [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 08:57
D says: ...conversational pace...results in not making sense of speech.

The correct answer says: ...conversational pace...hampers the ability of some children...to make sense of speech.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB
Faculty @ EducationAisle
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Read testimonials of our students who made it to top schools (IIMs, ISB, Darden and XLRI, among others): http://EducationAisle.com/testimonials.html

No "kudos" are required if you find this post useful; absorbing this learning and getting a great score would be your best gratitude.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A new study suggests that the conversational pace of [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 05:58
Expert's post
OA is B, because it maintains the ||-ism

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Re: A new study suggests that the conversational pace of   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2013, 05:58