Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 01:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A new technique for extracting residues of oil from existing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
A new technique for extracting residues of oil from existing [#permalink] New post 11 May 2009, 11:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (02:34) correct 33% (01:49) wrong based on 12 sessions
A new technique for extracting residues of oil from existing oil wells by using lignins, a by-product of papermaking, is profitable provided that oil prices are over 20 dollars a barrel. Since oil prices are rising, investors looking for companies with prospects for rapid growth in profits would be wise to invest in paper manufacturers, whose currently almost worthless by-product will soon be a profit-boosting commodity.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?
(A) A small quantity of lignins are currently sold by paper manufacturers to chemical companies, but most of the lignins produced are burnt as waste.
(B) The 20-dollar-a-barrel oil price as a threshold of profitability for using lignins allows for the increased cost of refining crude oil that has been extracted using lignins.
(C) Only one-half to two-thirds of the total oil in a well can be extracted using conventional techniques of pumping and flooding with water.
(D) Petroleum-based substances that can be used as a substitute for lignins in extracting oil are costly and are made from oil, and these substances therefore increase in price as oil increases in price.
(E) The quantity of lignins produced annually in the manufacture of paper is several times larger than the amount that is likely to be useful in the oil industry.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Lignins [#permalink] New post 11 May 2009, 12:22
A new technique for extracting residues of oil from existing oil wells by using lignins, a by-product of papermaking, is profitable provided that oil prices are over 20 dollars a barrel. Since oil prices are rising, investors looking for companies with prospects for rapid growth in profits would be wise to invest in paper manufacturers, whose currently almost worthless by-product will soon be a profit-boosting commodity.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?
(A) A small quantity of lignins are currently sold by paper manufacturers to chemical companies, but most of the lignins produced are burnt as waste.
Irrelevant

(B) The 20-dollar-a-barrel oil price as a threshold of profitability for using lignins allows for the increased cost of refining crude oil that has been extracted using lignins.

Weakens the argument as it says the use of lignins increase the refining cost
(C) Only one-half to two-thirds of the total oil in a well can be extracted using conventional techniques of pumping and flooding with water.

This can strengthen the argument if we assume lignins can extract the remaining fraction of the total oil or can be considered as irrelevant.
(D) Petroleum-based substances that can be used as a substitute for lignins in extracting oil are costly and are made from oil, and these substances therefore increase in price as oil increases in price.

Strengthens the argument.
(E) The quantity of lignins produced annually in the manufacture of paper is several times larger than the amount that is likely to be useful in the oil industry.
This weakens the argument as investing on a paper manufactoring company(which may or may not be profitable as manufacturing paper as the priority) for a by-product which is used in the oil industry(a small amount of the quantity).Instead,buying froma paper industry would be better.
Hence Answer E.

Keep trying no matter how hard it seems, it will get easier.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Lignins [#permalink] New post 11 May 2009, 12:33
Thanks for the correction!

Keep trying no matter how hard it seems, it will get easier.

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Lignins [#permalink] New post 12 May 2009, 17:10
E

paper manufactuers wont make a bigger profit on lignins because the market for lignins will not grow, so investors shouldnt invest.
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Lignins [#permalink] New post 14 May 2009, 09:28
The reason why I don't think it's E is because noone is buying the lignins right now.

So if they start buying lignings in the future, regardless if paper companies have quantity of 100 lbs, or 1,000,000 lbs available, you can still be profitable by selling the goods.

However, if we were to start getting into supply of lignins by companies vs market demand and how that will impact price, then E would make sense.

But I'd think that's thinking above and beyond the passage.

I go for B, not I'd admit I'm not overly confident.

bigtreezl wrote:
E
paper manufactuers wont make a bigger profit on lignins because the market for lignins will not grow, so investors shouldnt invest.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: CR: Lignins [#permalink] New post 14 May 2009, 10:19
Between B and E, I choose B
increase in refining cost coz of lignin will serve as a deterrent of not using lignin.
B Hence weakens the argument.

E, though there are large quantities available but it will still provide some profits to the paper mills

IMO B
Whats the OA????
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Lignins [#permalink] New post 14 May 2009, 10:36
A nice argument ... The answer is E and here's the reason:

The conclusion states that "whose currently almost worthless by-product will soon be a profit-boosting commodity"

All the options presented are either irrelevant or strengthen this conclusion except option E which clearly states that the quantity of lignin produced is way more than what's required for extracting oil, thereby reducing it's profit-boosting ability.

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Lignins [#permalink] New post 14 May 2009, 20:09
bigfernhead wrote:
The reason why I don't think it's E is because noone is buying the lignins right now.

So if they start buying lignings in the future, regardless if paper companies have quantity of 100 lbs, or 1,000,000 lbs available, you can still be profitable by selling the goods.

However, if we were to start getting into supply of lignins by companies vs market demand and how that will impact price, then E would make sense.

But I'd think that's thinking above and beyond the passage.

I go for B, not I'd admit I'm not overly confident.

bigtreezl wrote:
E

Cant be B. B strengthens the argument by saying that there will still be a profit even with the increased cost of extracting oil using lignins
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Lignins [#permalink] New post 17 May 2009, 11:01
Yes, OA is E indeed.

So this is supply-demand problem..... :|

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Lignins [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 01:41
I picked E too
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Lignins [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 08:09
Pleonasm's explanation sums it all up.. the answer should be E and not B..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: PMP

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Lignins [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 08:41
I got E

Thanks, Sri
-------------------------------
keep uppp...ing the tempo...

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Lignins [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2011, 01:38
E in 2:20 secs . i want the timing to be faster ... 50% faster at least than that. what shall i do to reduce the time taken in CR questions ??

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Lignins [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2011, 01:41
btw i faced a similar question in knewton diagnostic, with the same oversupply/demand scenario . how to deal with weird new terms like lignin and oil residue etc is another aspect which consumes time

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Lignins [#permalink] New post 01 May 2011, 12:14
E
Re: CR: Lignins   [#permalink] 01 May 2011, 12:14