Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 07:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A new test for AIDS has proved helpful in eliminating blood,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: A new test for AIDS [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 03:40
Between A and C,
C brings out what exactly is being removed from the blood supply by using a that.

In A, the clauses seem to be non dependent rather than independent clauses (with subject and verb).

More so the portion between commas are non restrictive meaning 'contaminated with the virus' can be removed and analyzing the meaning gives a totally different sense.

Hence C scores over here.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 1458 [0], given: 245

Re: SC: A new test for AIDS [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 04:12
Expert's post
The culprit in A is the parenthesis that sets off between commas, the phrase ‘contaminated with virus’. The parenthetical phrase is an essential info and should not be separated by the commas on either sides.

In C a comma before blood would be appropriate.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 258 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: A new test for AIDS [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 06:41
+1 C

The modifiers are place in the right order.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: A new test for AIDS has proved helpful in eliminating blood, [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 07:17
Initially i also marked A thinking that contaminated with virus modify blood correctly.i didn't read after removing the "contaminated with virus" from sentence

Agree with C

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A new test for AIDS has proved helpful in eliminating blood, [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 08:39
OA would have been correct if underlined text in (A) had 'which' after blood, such as

(A) in eliminating blood,[highlight]which is[/highlight] contaminated with the virus, from the nation's blood supply

OC is correct, 'that' correctly refers to blood and shows essential modifier.

- CV
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 27

Re: A new test for AIDS has proved helpful in eliminating blood, [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 09:54
Hi all,

my 2 cents :

My ans A

we say - eliminating E, the wrong ans from the rest of the options

And not,

eliminating from the rest of the options E that is wrong - that precisely C does

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: A new test for AIDS has proved helpful in eliminating blood, [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 11:55
IMHO- A,

(A) in eliminating blood, contaminated with the virus, from the nation's blood supply
contaminated with the virus clearly refers to blood and this seems the best answer option.

(C) in eliminating from the nation's blood supply blood that is contaminated with the virus
blood supply from blood just doesn't seem right.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.08
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 104

Re: SC: A new test for AIDS [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 17:58
nusmavrik wrote:
misplaced modifier I think. "That" should be close to blood.

(B) in eliminating blood from the nation's blood supply that is contaminated with the virus ------> don't know what is contaminated. Whether the blood or the supply.

(C) in eliminating from the nation's blood supply blood that is contaminated with the virus ----> blood is contaminated. Of course "eliminating" cannot be contaminated.

Wish I had known this! I chose B, but reading this explanation makes sense for me. Thanks
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: A new test for AIDS has proved helpful in eliminating blood, [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 03:07
A: if we remove the non essential clause, then sentence become nonsensical---wrong.
B: "That " is modifing blood supply - wrong (blood is adjective here)
C: correct
D: "helpful to" is wrong idiom
E: "helpful to" is wrong idiom

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: SC: A new test for AIDS [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 04:35
suchoudh wrote:
cici wrote:
A new test for AIDS has proved helpful in eliminating blood, contaminated with the virus, from the nation's blood supply.
(C) in eliminating from the nation's blood supply (missing comma) blood that is contaminated with the virus

Resumptive or Summative modifier would need a comma but C does not supply it. Is there a typo in the post?

Agree. C is wrong because it needs a comma before blood.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

Re: A new test for AIDS has proved helpful in eliminating blood, [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 16:48
killer1387 wrote:
gmatdreamer wrote:
what is wrong with D

(D) to eliminate blood that is contaminated with the virus from the nation's blood supply

D states virus is from nation's blood supply hence incorrect

"helpful in" is the correct idiomatic usage thant "helpful to".
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: A new test for AIDS has proved helpful in eliminating blood, [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 05:29
I am confused with B and C. As B seems more meaningful than C I will go with B.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A new test for AIDS has proved helpful in eliminating blood, [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 07:08
Meaning of the sentence: A test has proved eliminating the blood from the nations blood supply which is contaminated with virus

Splitting the sentence

A new test for AIDS has proved helpful in eliminating blood, contaminated with the virus, from the nation's blood supply.

Here the subject is A new test for Aids
Verb is has proved

clearly it is a modifier error

my question is why Choice B is incorrect

in eliminating blood from the nations blood supply that is contaminated with the virus

The above sentence is clearly modifying the blood why still it is not correct.

Please help me

Thanks
Mani
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1193

Kudos [?]: 3196 [2] , given: 179

Re: A new test for AIDS has proved helpful in eliminating blood, [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 07:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
manikanth2304 wrote:
Meaning of the sentence: A test has proved eliminating the blood from the nations blood supply which is contaminated with virus

Splitting the sentence

Verb is has proved

in eliminating blood from the nations blood supply that is contaminated with the virus

Please help me

Thanks
Mani

Hi Mani,

You have understood the meaning correct. Your breaking of the sentence is also correct. So let's see what is the problem with Choice B:

Choice B - in eliminating blood from the nation's blood supply that is contaminated with the virus: Incorrect. In this choice, "that" modifies the immediate preceding noun entity "nation's blood supply". This is so because the preceding prepositional phrase "from the nation's blood supply" does not modify the noun "blood" that preceeds it. This prepositional phrase actually modifies action denoted by the noun "eliminating". Blood has been eliminated from where? Form nation's blood supply. So we see that "from nation's blood supply" is not the part of the noun "blood" and hence does not form a noun phrase in which case "that" may refer to "blood" - the head of the assumed noun phrase.

Take a look at the construction of Choice C where "from the nation's blood supply" has been correctly place closer to "eliminating" and "that" has been placed after "blood" for correct modification.

You can read the following article for more details on when can a noun modifier modify a slightly far away noun and when it cannot:
noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: August 03, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 99

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A new test for AIDS has proved helpful in eliminating blood, [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 08:46
Expert's post
cici wrote:

(A) in eliminating blood, contaminated with the virus, from the nation's blood supply
(B) in eliminating blood from the nation's blood supply that is contaminated with the virus
(C) in eliminating from the nation's blood supply blood that is contaminated with the virus
(D) to eliminate blood that is contaminated with the virus from the nation's blood supply
(E) to eliminate blood from the nation's blood supply that is contaminated with the virus

please explain your answers :thanks

Hi Shraddha,
Can you please come up with detail analysis of this question.It would have been really helpful then.

I thought A to be right answer.

Appreciate your feedback.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 23

Re: A new test for AIDS has proved helpful in eliminating blood, [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 15:53
egmat wrote:
manikanth2304 wrote:

Splitting the sentence

Verb is has proved

Please help me

Thanks
Mani

Hi Mani,

You have understood the meaning correct. Your breaking of the sentence is also correct. So let's see what is the problem with Choice B:

Choice B - in eliminating blood from the nation's blood supply that is contaminated with the virus: Incorrect. In this choice, "that" modifies the immediate preceding noun entity "nation's blood supply". This is so because the preceding prepositional phrase "from the nation's blood supply" does not modify the noun "blood" that preceeds it. This prepositional phrase actually modifies action denoted by the noun "eliminating". Blood has been eliminated from where? Form nation's blood supply. So we see that "from nation's blood supply" is not the part of the noun "blood" and hence does not form a noun phrase in which case "that" may refer to "blood" - the head of the assumed noun phrase.

Take a look at the construction of Choice C where "from the nation's blood supply" has been correctly place closer to "eliminating" and "that" has been placed after "blood" for correct modification.

You can read the following article for more details on when can a noun modifier modify a slightly far away noun and when it cannot:
noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

Thanks.
Shraddha

This point is often overlooked in modifier analysis - I wish more test-takers would read that e-GMAT guide or pg. 238 of the Manhattan SC book and focus on the immediately preceding noun-phrase instead of just the immediately preceding noun.

A good official example of this is OG13 #126 the-use-of-lie-detectors-is-based-on-the-assumption-that-83581.html
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1193

Kudos [?]: 3196 [0], given: 179

Re: A new test for AIDS has proved helpful in eliminating blood, [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 18:51
Expert's post
mmagyar wrote:
This point is often overlooked in modifier analysis - I wish more test-takers would read that e-GMAT guide or pg. 238 of the Manhattan SC book and focus on the immediately preceding noun-phrase instead of just the immediately preceding noun.

A good official example of this is OG13 #126 the-use-of-lie-detectors-is-based-on-the-assumption-that-83581.html

Very rightly said @mmagyar, in fact very succinctly put "focus on the immediately preceding noun-phrase instead of just the immediately preceding noun". :)

-Shraddha

Free Webinar: August 03, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: A new test for AIDS has proved helpful in eliminating blood, [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 04:13
egmat wrote:
manikanth2304 wrote:

Splitting the sentence

Verb is has proved

Please help me

Thanks
Mani

Hi Mani,

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,

I understood why A & b are wrong. But I think there should be a comma between nation's blood supply & blood in choice C.
Isn't "nation's blood supply blood that is contaminated....." an awkward construction? What am I missing?

-Nishant
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC: A new test for AIDS [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 05:09
Helpful in doing
Helpful to do

If the usage of helpful is along with in (Helpful in +ing), A & C are the close choices
If the usage of helpful is along with to (Helpful to do), D & E are the close choices

Now, its estabilished that +ing is better than +to; Hence, between A&C, C is the better choice, because of the usage of "that" which makes sense!

One Last Shot

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 99

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A new test for AIDS has proved helpful in eliminating blood, [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 05:51
Expert's post
debayan222 wrote:
cici wrote:

(B) in eliminating blood from the nation's blood supply that is contaminated with the virus
(E) to eliminate blood from the nation's blood supply that is contaminated with the virus

please explain your answers :thanks

Hi Shraddha,
Can you please come up with detail analysis of this question.It would have been really helpful then.

I thought A to be right answer.

Appreciate your feedback.

Hi Shradhha-Eagerly awaiting your in depth analysis for this question.

Please help... :(

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Re: A new test for AIDS has proved helpful in eliminating blood,   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2013, 05:51