Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 07:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A New York City ordinance of 1897 regulated the use of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, Tuck, Michigan (Ross), Darden, MBS
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

A New York City ordinance of 1897 regulated the use of [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2008, 05:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (01:56) correct 29% (00:46) wrong based on 7 sessions
A New York City ordinance of 1897 regulated the use of bicycles, mandated a maximum
speed of eight miles an hour, required of cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on
handlebars at all times, and it granted
pedestrians right-of-way.

A. regulated the use of bicycles, mandated a maximum speed of eight miles an hour,
required of cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all times, and it
granted

B. regulated the use of bicycles, mandated a maximum speed of eight miles an hour,
required cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all times, granting

C. regulating the use of bicycles mandated a maximum speed of eight miles an hour,
required cyclists that they keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all times,
and it granted

D. regulating the use of bicycles, mandating a maximum speed of eight miles an hour,
requiring of cyclists that they keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all times,
and granted

E. regulating the use of bicycles mandated a maximum speed of eight miles an hour,
required cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all times, and
granted

-----------------------------------------------------------
'It's not the ride, it's the rider'

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2008, 11:09
Hi,

I would go for E.

Its parallel.

Regards,
Max
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2008, 13:10
Another E for structural and logical parallel.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 20

Re: A New York City ordinance of 1897 regulated the use of [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2012, 09:21
I fell for C, but after having a look at
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/sc- ... t7988.html

I realized my mistakes. What the above link says is:

1. 'it gratned' is not in parallel with the rest of the sentence.
2. "Required X do Y" is correct but not "Required X that they do Y"

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 245

CAT Tests
Re: A New York City ordinance of 1897 regulated the use of [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 10:50
E. regulating the use of bicycles mandated a maximum speed of eight miles an hour,
required cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all times, and
granted

What I can understand is "A New York City ordinance " did the following three things
1) mandated a maximum speed of eight miles an hour
2) required cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all times
3) and granted pedestrians right-of-way.

There by regulating the use of bicycles.

I was looking for a option as below:
A New York City ordinance of 1897 mandated a maximum speed of eight miles an hour,required cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all times and granted pedestrians right-of-way, regulating the use of bicycles.

or

Regulating the use of bicycles,A New York City ordinance of 1897 mandated a maximum speed of eight miles an hour,required cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all times and granted pedestrians right-of-way

So the verb-ing modifier modifies the whole clause.

But with option E) regulating being a verb-ing modifier should modify the preceding noun or noun entity which is "A New York City ordinance of 1897". I was actually looking for a comma separating the modifier from the subject.

Can somebody please clarify the doubt. Somehow I am not comfortable with the sentence structure (I have to, the official answer is E)

Thanks,
Kinjal
Never Give Up !!!

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 29

Re: A New York City ordinance of 1897 regulated the use of [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 11:11
Option E.
NY City mandating the use of bicycles,regulated...,retired...and granted...
follows parallelism.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 4

Re: A New York City ordinance of 1897 regulated the use of [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2014, 08:39
A New York City ordinance of 1897 ...

granted

Why is a comma required before "regulating?" Without a comma, regulating naturally refers to the previous noun, i.e. to ordinance.
The absence of the comma assures the correct meaning: "the X ordinance (where X = that regulated the use of bicycles) mandated P, required Q, and granted R."

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1193

Kudos [?]: 3196 [5] , given: 179

Re: A New York City ordinance of 1897 regulated the use of [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2014, 12:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kinjiGC wrote:
granted

What I can understand is "A New York City ordinance " did the following three things
1) mandated a maximum speed of eight miles an hour
2) required cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all times
3) and granted pedestrians right-of-way.

There by regulating the use of bicycles.

I was looking for a option as below:
A New York City ordinance of 1897 mandated a maximum speed of eight miles an hour,required cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all times and granted pedestrians right-of-way, regulating the use of bicycles.

or

Regulating the use of bicycles,A New York City ordinance of 1897 mandated a maximum speed of eight miles an hour,required cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all times and granted pedestrians right-of-way

So the verb-ing modifier modifies the whole clause.

But with option E) regulating being a verb-ing modifier should modify the preceding noun or noun entity which is "A New York City ordinance of 1897". I was actually looking for a comma separating the modifier from the subject.

Can somebody please clarify the doubt. Somehow I am not comfortable with the sentence structure (I have to, the official answer is E)

Dear Kinjal,

Thank you for posting your question here.

Here is the sentence structure of the correct version of this sentence:

• A New York City ordinance of 1897 (subject)
regulating the use of bicycles (verb-ing modifier that gives additional information about the ordinance)
mandated a maximum speed of eight miles an hour, (mandated = verb 1)
required cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all times, (required = verb 2)
• and granted pedestrians right-of-way. (granted = verb 3)

Your understanding of the three parallel items on the list is perfectly fine. As you pointed out, "regulating" as a verb-ing modifier should modify the preceding noun, since there is no comma between the modifier and the noun. "Regulating" correctly modifies "ordinance" in option E. Remember that modifiers can 'jump over' other modifiers. Here, "requiring" can jump over "of 1897" to modify the preceding noun.

If I were to identify the main point of the sentence or to summarize the sentence, I would say that this sentence is about the ordinance. It tells us three things about the ordinance: it (1) mandated something, (2) required something and (3) granted something. Notice that the modifier beginning with "regulating" can be removed from the sentence without affecting the clause in any way. This is what modifiers about nouns do: they give you additional information about the noun.

You may wonder whether the status of "regulating" as a modifier can be identified by doing a meaning analysis of the original sentence. It can if you pay close attention to the intended meaning of the sentence. In the original incorrect version, "regulated" seems to be on par with the verbs "mandated," "required" and "granted". However, this is only a superficial parallel list. This can be identified by focusing on the meaning. "Regulated the use of bicycles" gives us the general information that the ordinance imposed some rules on the use of bicycles. The next three verbs actually give us three specific rules about the use of bicycles that were imposed by the ordinance. So, logically, these three items can't be on par with the general information about what the ordinance was about.

I hope this helps with your doubt!

Regards,
Meghna

Free Webinar: August 03, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 308

CAT Tests
Re: A New York City ordinance of 1897 regulated the use of [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 09:22
Hi Shraddha,

Thank you for the very detailed analysis on this question.
I understand that as you said "In the original incorrect version, "regulated" seems to be on par with the verbs "mandated," "required" and "granted". However, this is only a superficial parallel list. "
However when attempting the question this thing did not strike me even one bit and I am sure a lot of other fellow students also might face the same issue.
Do you have any suggestions/tips for us to follow in questions like these.
Re: A New York City ordinance of 1897 regulated the use of   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2014, 09:22