Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A New York ordinance of 1897 regulated the use of bicycle,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 3

A New York ordinance of 1897 regulated the use of bicycle, [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 23:53
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

47% (01:51) correct 53% (01:35) wrong based on 17 sessions
A New York ordinance of 1897 regulated the use of bicycle, mandated a maximum speed of eight miles an hour, required of cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all times, and it granted pedestrians right of way

1) regulated to the use of bicycles, mandated the maximum of speed of eight miles per hour, required of cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all time, and it granted
2)regulated to the use of bicycles, mandated the maximum of speed of eight miles per hour, required of cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all time, granting
3)regulating the use of bicycles mandated the maximum of speed of eight miles per hour, required of cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all time, and it granted
4)regulating to the use of bicycles, mandating the maximum of speed of eight miles per hour, requiring of cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all time, and granted
5) regulating to the use of bicycles, mandated the maximum of speed of eight miles per hour, required of cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all time, and granted

The correct answer is 5, please explain. I picked 1, why isn't it correct since it seems parallel
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 30

Re: bicycle [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 08:06
This post received
KUDOS
abcd1 wrote:
A New York ordinance of 1897 regulated the use of bicycle, mandated a maximum speed of eight miles an hour, required of cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all times, and it granted pedestrians right of way

1) regulated to the use of bicycles, mandated the maximum of speed of eight miles per hour, required of cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all time, and it granted
2)regulated to the use of bicycles, mandated the maximum of speed of eight miles per hour, required of cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all time, granting
3)regulating the use of bicycles mandated the maximum of speed of eight miles per hour, required of cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all time, and it granted
4)regulating to the use of bicycles, mandating the maximum of speed of eight miles per hour, requiring of cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all time, and granted
5) regulating to the use of bicycles, mandated the maximum of speed of eight miles per hour, required of cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all time, and granted

The correct answer is 5, please explain. I picked 1, why isn't it correct since it seems parallel

5 is good but.. can u plzz recheck whether its regulating to the use of bicycles, or regulating the use of bicycles

1 is wrong since it stresses the law and its particulars in the same way without subordination.

3 is good if it had a comma in front of mandate and avoided it in front of granted

Gonna make it this time

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 30

Re: bicycle [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 08:08
googled it and found .... http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/sc- ... t7988.html

Gonna make it this time

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 16

Re: bicycle [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 10:52
The answer choice 5 is correct instead of one because:

Regulating - the ordinance of 1897 is regulating the use of bicycles from 1897 to the present, present tense verb

it - ambiguous pronoun in answer choice 1 isn't needed
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: bicycle [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 16:43
thank you all. I think it was a typo, should have been " regulating the use of bicycle"

Anyways, i am still pretty unclear why it is " regulating" instead of " regulated"

could you please explain again?

thank you very much
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 16

Re: bicycle [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 17:07
abcd1 wrote:
thank you all. I think it was a typo, should have been " regulating the use of bicycle"

Anyways, i am still pretty unclear why it is " regulating" instead of " regulated"

could you please explain again?

thank you very much

if you don't understand the difference between a past and present verb, your in trouble buddy, big time

The ordinance regulates the use of bicycle from 1897 till the present, thus the present tense regulating
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: bicycle [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 00:00
not that i don't understand the difference between regulating and regulated. Of course i do, but the thing is i am not sure why is regulating being used here since the rest of the sentences in #5 are in past tense " mandated, granted"

thanks
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [2] , given: 315

Re: bicycle [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 08:44
This post received
KUDOS
abcd1 wrote:
not that i don't understand the difference between regulating and regulated. Of course i do, but the thing is i am not sure why is regulating being used here since the rest of the sentences in #5 are in past tense " mandated, granted"

thanks

i think "regulating" here is a modifier of A New York ordinance of 1897, Verb 1 (mandated) + verb 2 (required) + verb 3 (mandated) is perfect paralel structure.
This ordinance is now not effected anymore (that's why main verbs are in the past), however "A New York ordinance of 1897" which is an act that regulates "the use of bicycle" is a fact so using "regulating" here is rational.
Hope it helps :)

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Last edited by MICKEYXITIN on 15 Dec 2010, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 109

Re: bicycle [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 09:09
E 8-)

1 is not correct because it is necessary a gerund to describe what regulated the ordinance.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

Re: bicycle [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 11:19
Very confused before I saw it was a typo.

Anyway, I got E as well.

Go Blue!

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1698 [2] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: bicycle [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 04:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Important aspects of list ll ism to decide here are: 1. How many series are there? 2. What is the primary aspect of each series and what are the auxiliary phenomena?

Mind you, they all are not equal elements; here in this case, the regulation is the primacy purpose of the ordinance. The other things are incidental to the primer purpose. The various lists of the primary purpose are required to be parallel within them.

Here in the given case, we can tackle ll ism in three ways.

1. A New York ordinance of 1897 regulated the use of bicycle, mandating a maximum speed of eight miles an hour, requiring of cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all times, and granting pedestrians right of way. (This choice is not there.

2. A New York ordinance of 1897, regulating the use of bicycle, mandated a maximum speed of eight miles an hour, required of cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all times, and granted pedestrians right of way( The OA)

3., Regulating the use of bicycle, a New York ordinance of 1897 mandated a maximum speed of eight miles an hour, required of cyclists to keep feet on pedals and hands on handlebars at all times, and granted pedestrians right of way( This is also not there)

Amidst these various choices, let’s remember that the –ing - form of regulate i.e. ‘regulating’ in the context is a present participle and not a main verb form of the present progressive. To become present progressive, you do have to use the auxiliary verb ‘is” before the ‘ing’ form. Regulating is neither a gerund here.

The same word manifests different meanings in different contexts and each has its own legitimate purpose.

A is wrong because it treats as if the ordinance had four different but equal purposes.

Last edited by daagh on 13 Mar 2011, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A New York ordinance of 1897 regulated the use of bicycle, [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2014, 09:04
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: A New York ordinance of 1897 regulated the use of bicycle,   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2014, 09:04