Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A newly discovered painting on wooden panel by Michelangelo

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2004
Posts: 474
Location: united states
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

A newly discovered painting on wooden panel by Michelangelo [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 10:35
1
This post received
KUDOS
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A newly discovered painting on wooden panel by Michelangelo must have been completed after 1507 but before 1509. It cannot have been painted earlier than 1507 because one of its central figures carries a coin that was not minted until that year. It cannot have been painted after 1509 because it contains a pigment that Michelangelo is known to have abandoned when a cheaper alternative became available in that year.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?


A) No stocks of the abandoned pigment existed after 1509.

B) Michelangelo did not work on the painting over the course of several years.

C) The coin depicted in the painting was known to general public in 1507.

D) The wooden panel on which the painting was executed cannot be tested accurately for age.

E) Michelangelo's painting style did not change between 1507 and 1509.
_________________

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..


Last edited by akkane on 17 Apr 2013, 16:15, edited 2 times in total.
Added official answer
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4877
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5381 [1] , given: 165

Re: Michelangelo da Vinci [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 20:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
2flY wrote:
gmattokyo wrote:
I'll go with A
No stocks of the abandoned pigment existed after 1509.
- Michelangelo abandoned the pigment used to make the paint (not the paint) because cheaper version was available. There is no mention that he stopped using the existing stock. If he has spent a lot making a stock of paint, he'll use that




These were my thoughts. However, this seems to be wrong...


Yes, the reason this option is option (A) is that it is tempting to jump to it right away. But it is incorrect.

The problem here is that the option says 'No stocks existed after 1509'.
We don't need to assume that. Recall that the argument says that Michelangelo stopped using the pigment, not that the pigment was not manufactured after 1509. It is immaterial whether stock of the pigment existed after 1509. We know that Michelangelo abandoned the use of the pigment after 1509.

Look at the argument:
- The painting must have been completed after 1507 but before 1509.
- Not earlier than 1507 because one of its central figures carries a coin that was not minted until that year.
- Not after 1509 because it contains a pigment that Michelangelo is known to have abandoned when a cheaper alternative became available in 1509.

The argument clearly tells us that Michelangelo abandoned the use of the pigment in 1509. Whether he had stocks of it or not, he abandoned its use in 1509. The argument seems pretty good fit except for one thing - it says that the painting must have been COMPLETED within 1507 to 1509. That's the folly of the argument. Based on the premises, we can say for sure that he painted it during this time frame. We cannot say whether he completed it during this time.
He could have painted it over many years which would include the time frame of 1507 - 1509. When we say that he completed it before 1509, we are assuming that he did the painting in a matter of a few weeks or months, not over many years.

Hence your answer is (B)
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2011
Posts: 453
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 70

Re: A newly discovered painting on wooden panel by Michelangelo [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 19:59
Similar topics on "A newly discovered painting on wooden panel by Michelangelo" are merged.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 838
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 614 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A newly discovered painting on wooden panel by Michelangelo [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 13:35
shoonya wrote:
A newly discovered painting on wooden panel by Michelangelo must have been completed after 1507 but before 1509. It cannot have been painted earlier than 1507 because one of its central figures carries a coin that was not minted until that year. It cannot have been painted after 1509 because it contains a pigment that Michelangelo is known to have abandoned when a cheaper alternative became available in that year.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?


A) No stocks of the abandoned pigment existed after 1509.

B) Michelangelo did not work on the painting over the course of several years.

C) The coin depicted in the painting was known to general public in 1507.

D) The wooden panel on which the painting was executed cannot be tested accurately for age.

E) Michelangelo's painting style did not change between 1507 and 1509.



HERE IS OE

The correct answer is B.

The conclusion of the argument is that Michelangelo must have completed the painting between 1507 and 1509. The basis for that claim is that the painting depicts a coin that did not exist before 1507 and that it contains a pigment that Michelangelo ceased using in 1509. We are asked to find an assumption that completes the logic of this argument.

Choice A is incorrect. We do not need to assume that no stocks of the pigment existed after 1509. The argument is concerned only with the year in which Michelangelo stopped using the pigment.

Choice B is correct. In order to conclude that the painting must have been completed before 1509 on the basis of the pigment, we must assume that he did not begin the painting before 1509 using the old pigment and complete the painting after 1509 with the new pigment.

Choice C is incorrect. The fact that the general public knew of the coin in 1507 is irrelevant to the conclusion.

Choice D is incorrect. The fact that the panel cannot be tested for age does not relate to either the coin or the pigment, the two bases for the conclusion.

Choice E is incorrect. Whether Michelangelo's painting style changed during this period does not relate to either the coin or the pigment.
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 150
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 41

Re: Michelangelo da Vinci [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 23:50
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
2flY wrote:
gmattokyo wrote:
I'll go with A
No stocks of the abandoned pigment existed after 1509.
- Michelangelo abandoned the pigment used to make the paint (not the paint) because cheaper version was available. There is no mention that he stopped using the existing stock. If he has spent a lot making a stock of paint, he'll use that




These were my thoughts. However, this seems to be wrong...


Yes, the reason this option is option (A) is that it is tempting to jump to it right away. But it is incorrect.

The problem here is that the option says 'No stocks existed after 1509'.
We don't need to assume that. Recall that the argument says that Michelangelo stopped using the pigment, not that the pigment was not manufactured after 1509. It is immaterial whether stock of the pigment existed after 1509. We know that Michelangelo abandoned the use of the pigment after 1509.

Look at the argument:
- The painting must have been completed after 1507 but before 1509.
- Not earlier than 1507 because one of its central figures carries a coin that was not minted until that year.
- Not after 1509 because it contains a pigment that Michelangelo is known to have abandoned when a cheaper alternative became available in 1509.

The argument clearly tells us that Michelangelo abandoned the use of the pigment in 1509. Whether he had stocks of it or not, he abandoned its use in 1509. The argument seems pretty good fit except for one thing - it says that the painting must have been COMPLETED within 1507 to 1509. That's the folly of the argument. Based on the premises, we can say for sure that he painted it during this time frame. We cannot say whether he completed it during this time.
He could have painted it over many years which would include the time frame of 1507 - 1509. When we say that he completed it before 1509, we are assuming that he did the painting in a matter of a few weeks or months, not over many years.

Hence your answer is (B)


I could not get why is B the answer...

Michelangelo could have started the painting in 1507, but completed the same b/w 1507 and 1509.

As you stated , "We cannot say whether he completed it during this time.
He could have painted it over many years which would include the time frame of 1507 - 1509. When we say that he completed it before 1509, we are assuming that he did the painting in a matter of a few weeks or months, not over many years. "


Maybe he did the majority of painting b/w 1500 to 1506..=> that can be considered...
and the remaining part of painting was completed b/w 1507 and 1509.

Several years of work on painting(1500-1506), still lies in the argument.
He just completed it b/w 1507 and 1509.
_________________

MODULUS Concept ---> inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1125
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1198 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Michelangelo da Vinci [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 00:09
jaituteja wrote:
I could not get why is B the answer...

Michelangelo could have started the painting in 1507, but completed the same b/w 1507 and 1509.

As you stated , "We cannot say whether he completed it during this time.
He could have painted it over many years which would include the time frame of 1507 - 1509. When we say that he completed it before 1509, we are assuming that he did the painting in a matter of a few weeks or months, not over many years. "


Maybe he did the majority of painting b/w 1500 to 1506..=> that can be considered...
and the remaining part of painting was completed b/w 1507 and 1509.

Several years of work on painting(1500-1506), still lies in the argument.
He just completed it b/w 1507 and 1509.


That's exactly why B is the answer!

What you say here:
"Maybe he did the majority of painting b/w 1500 to 1506..=> that can be considered...
and the remaining part of painting was completed b/w 1507 and 1509."

is correct. Maybe he did all the painting (with his pigment) except the coin between those years, and then just finished between 1507 and 1509.

That's why the assumption, hence something necessary for the argument to be valid, must be B) Michelangelo did not work on the painting over the course of several years. ; so you exclude that possibility and the argument holds true.
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Matriculating
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 929
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: A newly discovered painting on wooden panel by Michelangelo [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 09:29
It is incorrect to assume that E is wrong in the first go. Unless you realize you are stuck with B Vs E. Now it boils down to the fact whether M's painting style has bearing on the dates or his habit has bearing on the painting dates. Then the answer is apparent. Even if his painting style changes then does it rules out the fact that he didn't paint between 1507 and 1509. Its 50/50 chances. E is not breaking the argument after negation.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 2
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: A newly discovered painting on wooden panel by Michelangelo [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 10:35
i still do not understand why A is not correct.
Let's imagine Micky bought huge stocks of old point for 10'000 USD, even is the price of new substitute will become 1000 USD i will not buy it untill i will not consume my old stocks.
What is wrong with A?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 May 2013
Posts: 59
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 16

Re: CR - Michel Angelo [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2013, 02:57
A newly discovered painting on wooden panel by Michelangelo must have been completed after 1507 but before 1509. It cannot have been painted earlier than 1507 because one of its central figures carries a coin that was not minted until that year. It cannot have been painted after 1509 because it contains a pigment that Michelangelo is known to have abandoned when a cheaper alternative became available in that year.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A) No stocks of the abandoned pigment existed after 1509.

B) Michelangelo did not work on the painting over the course of several years.

C) The coin depicted in the painting was known to general public in 1507.

D) The wooden panel on which the painting was executed cannot be tested accurately for age.

E) Michelangelo's painting style did not change between 1507 and 1509.

I believe that in CR we should look for an assumption that will help us reach the given conclusion BASED on the given premises.

Premise 1: The coin depicted in the painting was not minted before 1507.
Premise 2: There is a pigment used in the paining that MA had abandoned in 1509.
Conclusion: The painting was completed after 1507 but before 1509.

Firstly, it has been mentioned 'painting was completed'. So the possibility that MA may have started before 1507 and finished the paining before 1509 is totally is line with argument.

Lets look at some of the loopholes in the argument :-
1) The painting could have started between 1507 and 1509 but finished after 1509.
2) The painting could have started before 1507 and ended before 1507.
3) The painting could have started after 1509 and ended after 1509.
4) The painting could have started before 1507 and ended after 1509.

Now, an assumption that covers maximum of these loopholes is our correct answer.

Can anybody explain to me how answer B meets the above criteria!?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2013
Posts: 19
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: A newly discovered painting on wooden panel by Michelangelo [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2013, 06:37
For me it was between A and B. About A: we know that MC abandoned the old pigment and started to use a new cheaper substitute. Maybe he had more reasons than merely thinking about the price. If so, the MC could still not use the old pigment even in case he had a stock of it.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Tomorrow will be a new day...
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 943
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 210

Re: A newly discovered painting on wooden panel by Michelangelo [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 13:50
B) Michelangelo did not work on the painting over the course of several years.

Yes B is correct. Say if MA started painting in 1501 and after painting some portion he stopped for few years and then again started painting in 1507 and painted new coin introduced in that year, then definitely argument wont stand true.
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: A newly discovered painting on wooden panel by Michelangelo   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2014, 13:50
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
A newly discovered painting on wooden panel by Michelangelo anilnandyala 0 22 Mar 2011, 22:12
A newly discovered painting on wooden panel by Michelangelo noboru 0 13 Mar 2013, 20:48
A newly discovered painting on wooden panel by Michelangelo bsd_lover 0 08 Aug 2011, 20:51
A newly discovered painting on wooden panel by Michelangelo JCLEONES 0 18 Jan 2008, 10:40
A newly discovered painting on wooden panel by Michelangelo minhthel 0 19 Aug 2006, 19:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A newly discovered painting on wooden panel by Michelangelo

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   [ 110 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.