Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 12:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A newspaper recently reported the story of a group of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 73

GMAT ToolKit User
A newspaper recently reported the story of a group of [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 09:56
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (02:14) correct 42% (01:35) wrong based on 278 sessions
A newspaper recently reported the story of a group of hunters who found a heavily damaged mobile home suspended in the treetops in a forest. Although mobile homes in many towns in the surrounding area had recently been swept away by tornados, officials suspect that this particular mobile home came from nearby New City, which had been almost completely destroyed by a tornado three months earlier, on March 10th.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the officials' hypothesis about the origin of the mobile home?

-Many residents of New City and the surrounding areas live in trailer homes.
-A calendar found inside the mobile home was turned to March 10th.
-Weather stations widely reported the tornado of March 10th.
-Sales of this particular brand of mobile home have been very strong in New City and other surrounding towns for the past six months.
-Decals supporting the nearby State University football team were found on the mobile home.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
interested in the answer choice D. any explanation?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: A newspaper recently reported the story [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
LalaB wrote:
A newspaper recently reported the story of a group of hunters who found a heavily damaged mobile home suspended in the treetops in a forest. Although mobile homes in many towns in the surrounding area had recently been swept away by tornados, officials suspect that this particular mobile home came from nearby New City, which had been almost completely destroyed by a tornado three months earlier, on March 10th.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the officials' hypothesis about the origin of the mobile home?

-Many residents of New City and the surrounding areas live in trailer homes.
-A calendar found inside the mobile home was turned to March 10th.
-Weather stations widely reported the tornado of March 10th.
-Sales of this particular brand of mobile home have been very strong in New City and other surrounding towns for the past six months.
-Decals supporting the nearby State University football team were found on the mobile home.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
interested in the answer choice D. any explanation?

there is two problems with alternative D: 1) "other surrounding towns" means that the house can possibly been carried from any town on the vicinities. 2) "past six months" indicate that it is a brand new house, and the facts presented on the questions don't support any assumption that it is new home.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A newspaper recently reported the story of a group of [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 04:42
This post received
KUDOS
+1 B. D does not address the problem

I just need 25 Kudos to access the GMAT tests. Plz give me one if you found my post helpful

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 21

Re: A newspaper recently reported the story of a group of [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 02:03
This post received
KUDOS
mahendru1992 wrote:
I'm still not convinced by B. It is entirely possible for the page to be turned to March 10 because of the tornado

B is not pretty, but D is just plain nasty. D does not weaken or strengthen, the answer choice implies that the trailer could have come from one of multiple locations.

B is the lesser of all the evils, but at least it strengthens by implying that the trailer may have come from the location where a tornado occurred 3 months ago. Pretty Loosy Goosy IMO
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 05-01-2014
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 34

Re: A newspaper recently reported the story of a group of [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2014, 22:12
This post received
KUDOS
How can one say by choosing option B that the tailor van only came from nearby New City?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [1] , given: 5

Re: A newspaper recently reported the story of a group of [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 14:43
This post received
KUDOS
email2vm wrote:
semwal wrote:
WE NEED A CLEAR EVIDENCE TO RELATE THE heavily damaged mobile home TO ONE DESTROYED IN NEW CITY..........SINCE HOMES WERE DESTROYED ON MARCH 10 IN NEW CITY ONLY AND NO OTHER CITY........THIS HOME WITH calendar turned to March 10th- IS A CLOSE EVIDENCE OF BEING FROM NEW CITY....................HENCE " B" CORRECT......

"D" IS NOT AS STRONG AN EVIDENCE, AS THE DAMAGED HOME DESCRIBED COULD BE FROM NEW CITY OR ANY OTHER SURROUNDING TOWNS........

The argument says that " Although mobile homes in many towns in the surrounding area had recently been swept away by tornados". Hence there is no evidence that it only came from "New City".

I think you want a perfect link between the mobile home from New City and the tornado on March 10. To support the statement, the evidence that you want would be ideal, but since we don't have the perfect answer, option B leaves us with less doubt than option D. After all, how can you be so sure the mobile home came from New City after sales of those mobile homes have been equal among the other cities? At least option B links the date of the tornado in New City and the last date on the calendar in mobile home.

I hope this helps.

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A newspaper recently reported the story [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 10:32
lamanxa, thank you for ur reply.

I agree with you about "other surrounding towns", but disagree about periods.
since the q.stem stated that a tornado destroyed the city three months earlier, I thought it is ok to think that these homes have been there for the past six months. dont u think so?

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: A newspaper recently reported the story [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 11:28
LalaB wrote:
lamanxa, thank you for ur reply.

I agree with you about "other surrounding towns", but disagree about periods.
since the q.stem stated that a tornado destroyed the city three months earlier, I thought it is ok to think that these homes have been there for the past six months. dont u think so?

LalaB, this information only would be relevant if it was stated that the house were brought AFTER the tornado. Since the tornado destroyed the city 3 months earlier, it is irrelevant if the houses are 6 months old or 50 years old. All of them were possibly carried away by the tornado.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Re: A newspaper recently reported the story [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 13:21
This is an interesting question

Initially voted for D - but yes agree with why it should not be the best option "New City and other surrounding towns "

and then by POE B supports the hypothesis - we have exact date "March 10" and on March 10 - the tornado destroyed New City

"New City, which had been almost completely destroyed by a tornado three months earlier, on March 10th"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: A newspaper recently reported the story [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 19:20
Went with B, because New City was screwed on March 10, and the calendar had March 10 on it.

There was a mention that trailers were in the surrounding area which includes New city, but also other cities too, which muddies up choice D. We know New City was bye bye on March 10, but we know nothing on the other cities. We know the calendar showed March 10 inside, so that's how 2 and 2 went together here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: A newspaper recently reported the story [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 19:47
What if the calendar page turned during the tornado? Its a storm & the mobile home is hanging in a tree. I would suspect that a calendar can move be tossed around. This seems to be a very loose argument

Posted from my mobile device Image

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A newspaper recently reported the story [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 23:58
boomtangboy wrote:
What if the calendar page turned during the tornado? Its a storm & the mobile home is hanging in a tree. I would suspect that a calendar can move be tossed around. This seems to be a very loose argument

good point! I thought the same , when crossed out this answer choice

Intern
Intern
WE 1: 2.10

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: A newspaper recently reported the story [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 03:39
fell for D... Thought B was weak... cos ppl stopped using the trailer home and since tornado is common in the area... maybe the home was crashed by a tornado after March.. But When comparing B and D,... Now I cld see B is way better option than D...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 44

Re: A newspaper recently reported the story [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 20:31
LalaB wrote:
boomtangboy wrote:

good point! I thought the same , when crossed out this answer choice

B) A calendar found inside the mobile home was turned to March 10th.

D) Sales of this particular brand of mobile home have been very strong in New City and other surrounding towns for the past six months.

I guess ur point is valid...

But between B and D... If u add weights for both choices B will win...

So actual contenders are B and D.
First of all D says this home has proof that it would have been sold in past 6 months... This itself fails... This weakens argument...
There is no possibility here.. Its viable...

On other hand, B says about date in calendar.. There is possibility here..

IMO tornado will turn calendar to March 10th no it might be some person...
Anyways it strengthen our argument ....

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: A newspaper recently reported the story of a group of [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 22:56
Really interesting problem :roll:
I also chose D first, by eliminating others that indicate anything other than place. Agree with all that Correct Answer is B.

I just listed down the facts.
1. Damaged mobile home found suspended in the treetops.
2. Mobile home came from nearby New City.
3. New City had been destroyed by a tornado on March 10.

B & D are possible contenders.
Option (D) says sales have been strong in New City and other surrounding towns. So, It's not strongly supports that its surely from New City.
Option (B) There is weak link between premises and Option B.
[New city destroyed on March 10] + [10 March cal date in the Home]=> [Place of Home is from New City].
Its sufficient to prove the place as the New City.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 96

CAT Tests
Re: A newspaper recently reported the story of a group of [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 08:32
I'm still not convinced by B. It is entirely possible for the page to be turned to March 10 because of the tornado
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 96

CAT Tests
Re: A newspaper recently reported the story of a group of [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 06:21
jgomey wrote:
mahendru1992 wrote:

B is not pretty, but D is just plain nasty. D does not weaken or strengthen, the answer choice implies that the trailer could have come from one of multiple locations.

B is the lesser of all the evils, but at least it strengthens by implying that the trailer may have come from the location where a tornado occurred 3 months ago. Pretty Loosy Goosy IMO

hahaha, ok i guess your explanation does make sense. Thanks :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 46

Re: A newspaper recently reported the story of a group of [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2014, 07:37
WE NEED A CLEAR EVIDENCE TO RELATE THE heavily damaged mobile home TO ONE DESTROYED IN NEW CITY..........SINCE HOMES WERE DESTROYED ON MARCH 10 IN NEW CITY ONLY AND NO OTHER CITY........THIS HOME WITH calendar turned to March 10th- IS A CLOSE EVIDENCE OF BEING FROM NEW CITY....................HENCE " B" CORRECT......

"D" IS NOT AS STRONG AN EVIDENCE, AS THE DAMAGED HOME DESCRIBED COULD BE FROM NEW CITY OR ANY OTHER SURROUNDING TOWNS........
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 05-01-2014
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 34

Re: A newspaper recently reported the story of a group of [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2014, 23:35
semwal wrote:

The argument says that " Although mobile homes in many towns in the surrounding area had recently been swept away by tornados". Hence there is no evidence that it only came from "New City".
Re: A newspaper recently reported the story of a group of   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2014, 23:35