Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A nice surprise--but worried about Quant score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Merage
Schools: University of California Irvine (Merage) - Class of 2013
WE: Sales (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

A nice surprise--but worried about Quant score [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 11:14
I originally scheduled my GMAT for August but panicked and rescheduled it for last Saturday instead. My study plan was a 'whenever I can' plan (unfortunately that's what my sched permits)-- I used the Manhattan GMAT books, the OG Quant and OG 12th edition. I found that combined with GMAT Club tests/forums, that's basically all you need. The OG had tons of questions that looked familiar on test day. I was not nervous at all going in, because I figured I had already spent $300 on this test, did what I could to study, and whatever happens happens.

One thing I didn't practice enough in my CATs was timing--suffice it to say, I nearly ran out of time in the quant section. The stress kind of got to me. I for sure guessed on a few questions. I downed a red bull right after the quant section.

In my verbal I got FOUR reading comp passages! It was crazy. I figured if I saw that many, that I must have been doing pretty well.

I submitted my scores and saw the result: 630 (36Q/40V). Not sure of AWA yet but confident thanks to chineseburned's guide. I'm personally happy with this, as I was getting 590s in my CATs.

...But I'm kind of freaking about the weak quant score. I have good undergrad quant grades (4.0 in finance, 3.0 accounting), and I'm hoping that if I use this in my essays that it will translate. My schools are Vanderbilt (av GMAT 660), UC Irvine (av gmat 670) and safety U of San Francisco (av GMAT 590), all Round 1. I am hoping for the best!!! No plans to retake at this time.

Thanks for all your help- I'm a lurker on the boards but there has been a lot of information I've gotten from this site.

--Kristen
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: A nice surprise--but worried about Quant score [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 12:10
strong verbal is very good but yea quant sucks. But one side has to give to get a 630. You might panic if the verbal was low and quant high. you could retake if you have the time and want to do better but i dont see much of a problem

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: A nice surprise--but worried about Quant score [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 12:26
I believe getting 4 RC passages is normal. You should see 3 short passages with 3 questions each and 1 long passage with 4 question if I was told right. When I first took the GMAT I wasn't aware of this and thought I was done with RC after I got 3 passages. I got near the end of the verbal section on test day and saw I had plenty of time left and started taking my time. Then the long RC passage came a few questions later and it screwed up my score since I had to rush the last 5 or questions and didn't even answer the last question (big mistake). I did not practice or pay attention to my timing enough and it probably cost me at least 30 points on test day since I ran out of time on both sections.

If you decide to retake and focused on quant and did the Gmatclub math tests I bet you could get you quant score up pretty quickly since you have a strong math background. For verbal focusing entirely on SC has been the best way to increase my score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

Re: A nice surprise--but worried about Quant score [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 19:33
Quant can definitely go up. Especially, if you participate regularly on the Quant threads here.

All things are possible to those who believe.

Retired Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 33

Re: A nice surprise--but worried about Quant score [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 23:07
Your verbal score is really great!

For Quant section you can try Veritas guides also try gmatclub quant tests for tough questions.

Funny, Interesting and Crazy Facts, Photos and Videos!
http://funnyinterestingcrazy.blogspot.co.uk/

Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 23

Re: A nice surprise--but worried about Quant score [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 04:40
Congrats on a good Verbal score. The schools will want to see that you can handle the rigorous curriculum so your GPA in a quantitative based major should balance out the weaker GMAT Quant score. Were your practice Quant scores in that range? If so, I wouldn't retake. Focus on your apps. Good luck!
Re: A nice surprise--but worried about Quant score   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2010, 04:40