Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [20]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: A non-native English speaker's experience: From 460 to 760 [#permalink]
Great score and awesome strategy. Congragulations!
You have given motivation to non-native speakers like me :)
I'm already reading some fiction books (picked up from bb's list here) and that's getting me into the habit of reading. I have also borrowed a basic grammar book from my library, just to cement the fundamentals into my head :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Financier & vannbj thanks for your praises :)

heygirl, I believe you are on the correct path to a great GMAT score. On top of what you currently read, Kaplan’s GMAT Verbal Foundations could help you a lot in acquiring new phrases and using them correctly. As non-native speakers, we start the race a bit behind but this can be offset easily. I am sure you will do that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
astalaa wrote:
heygirl, I believe you are on the correct path to a great GMAT score. On top of what you currently read, Kaplan’s GMAT Verbal Foundations could help you a lot in acquiring new phrases and using them correctly. As non-native speakers, we start the race a bit behind but this can be offset easily. I am sure you will do that.

Thanks for ur reply!. Yes. I shall incorporate Kaplan Verbal in my strategy too.
Effectively for how many months did you study? I have booked my test for mid of march.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
heygirl wrote:
astalaa wrote:

Thanks for ur reply!. Yes. I shall incorporate Kaplan Verbal in my strategy too.
Effectively for how many months did you study? I have booked my test for mid of march.

I think you will be OK by taking the test for mid of March. I studied for 1.5 months (from end of May to mid July) for GMAT and before that I had studied for another 1.5 months (from end of March to mid of May) for TOEFL. (As I mentioned, my TOEFL preparation positively influenced my GMAT studies) I studied in the evenings (2.5 - 3 hours per day) on weekdays. At weekends, I studied for longer hours (6-7 hours per day). I just want to reiterate that my study included just a little quantitative part preparation as I was already very familiar with most of the concepts there. For quantitative part, I just solved practice tests and learned nothing new. If you feel like you need to prepare for quantitative part as well, you might need some more time than me and I see you already have that. I hope this was helpful for you :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
astalaa wrote:
I think you will be OK by taking the test for mid of March. I studied for 1.5 months (from end of May to mid July) for GMAT and before that I had studied for another 1.5 months (from end of March to mid of May) for TOEFL. (As I mentioned, my TOEFL preparation positively influenced my GMAT studies) I studied in the evenings (2.5 - 3 hours per day) on weekdays. At weekends, I studied for longer hours (6-7 hours per day). I just want to reiterate that my study included just a little quantitative part preparation as I was already very familiar with most of the concepts there. For quantitative part, I just solved practice tests and learned nothing new. If you feel like you need to prepare for quantitative part as well, you might need some more time than me and I see you already have that. I hope this was helpful for you :)

Thanks again. Kudos +1 :-D
Well, I have 2.5 months and I've just made a strategy for myself(in another post). So,hopefully will stick to it :-). I have quit my job so I can definitely squeeze in 3-4 hours a day of study.I'm waiting for my MGMAT books to arrive by mail :) and then I"ll get started. Right now, just doing some non-GMAT reading and grammar.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
heygirl wrote:
astalaa wrote:

Thanks again. Kudos +1 :-D
Well, I have 2.5 months and I've just made a strategy for myself(in another post). So,hopefully will stick to it :-). I have quit my job so I can definitely squeeze in 3-4 hours a day of study.I'm waiting for my MGMAT books to arrive by mail :) and then I"ll get started. Right now, just doing some non-GMAT reading and grammar.

Thanks for kudos :) I just read your post about your GMAT strategy and posted my thoughts about your strategy there.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congrats!!! Excellent result!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
walker wrote:
Congrats!!! Excellent result!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Business
Send PM
Hi, I wonder your first total Toefl points?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Q51! For how long have you been out of school?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Fairness,

I used one of Cambridge's diagnostic tests and there were guidelines for scoring reading and listening only. I believe that my speaking and writing perfomances deserved barely 20 for each.

PadawanOfTheGMAT,

I finished my undergraduate degree in 2004.
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Thanks for the debrief and congratulations, very nice score!
Good luck in your applications.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
astalla - awesome score.....how did you improve your quant side of the score????
I am currently exhausted. My major problem has been focus and concentration.

btw you took your exam in mid-july but posting it now?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72857 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
wow - congratulations!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Very well done! This is the way to go I guess xD
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3944 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Congratulations!!!!
I feel pretty happy for you 8-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the congrats :)

amma4u, you are right that I had my exam in July and I posted my story just a few days ago. I know it's a shame on me and I won't defend myself for not posting my story earlier :) Anyway, I believe my story could be useful especially for non-native English speakers because most of the time we start the game a few steps behind and don't exactly know what to do for GMAT preparation.

Regarding your other question, as I was already very familiar with most of the concepts in quantitative part of GMAT, I just solved questions from official guide and retired&diagnostic tests. Once again, I can't mention enough the importance of learning solutions of and re-solving the questions that I couldn't answer correctly at the first time. It really helped to improve my weakness areas, in quantitative part as well. Just don't omit any question, ensure that you understood solution for any question you couldn't answer correctly at first time.

Last but not least never give up focus and concentration; this will motivate you to study everyday and this way your educated guess ability will be better by time.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts