Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A normal GMAT experience with 740

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
A normal GMAT experience with 740 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 15:43
This post received
KUDOS
Hi, if I'm not mistaken this is my first post in the forum. I've taken out so much and given back so little but I hope to correct the situation little by little.

I'm 27. I'm a computer science engineer and since I graduated from college (When I was 21) I hadn't touch maths or science in general since I became an Internet entrepreneur and as rewarding as the experience was, financially and spiritually, it didn't give me much in the intellectual department. Anyway, in January of this year I sold my business and joined Google on the business development side of the... business, and I decided to get into Stanford, or Haas, or UCLA. So I started researching and first things first I started preparing for TOEFL in January 15, did My test on February 11 and scored 112, on the lowish side but enough, I think.

Anyway... I was confident and booked my GMAT for April 1 and took the rest of february to rest... then on March 1 I did the first CAT from mba dot com and scored 520! Damn, I panicked and then I tried to reschedule my test and realize that the test was changing on June and then I panicked even more, and then I realized that the only available date in my city was on April 11 and I panicked even more.... without many options I change the date to April 11 and started studying.

My routine from monday to friday:
- I woke up at 4:00 am every day and studied until 6:30 am. Then I took a shower and head to the office.
- I worked from 7:30 am to 6:30 pm at the office.
- I took a conference room at 6:30 pm and continued studying until 10:00 pm.
- I went home to my wife and slept at 12:00 am (Yes, I', still married).

My routine on Saturday:
- I studied from 8 am to 10 pm

My routine on Sunday:
- All day for Wife!

I did that for 35 days straight, after GMAT I'm not willing to do the Math but is obvious that I put more than 100 hours on the endeavor.
The sunday before my test I did the other CAT from mba dot com and got 740. My test was this wednesday so I took Monday and Tuesday to do nothing at all but sleeping and eating, I didn't even go to the office.

On test day I went to the center with my wife and since she drove I just had one ID (voting ID) that was not accepted at the test center so we had to go back to our house to get my ID (I arrived very early to the test cite, the traffic on my city is unpredictable). I arrived again, but now 10 minutes before the test, I put my butt on the seat and started doing the thing, AWA was OK, in Math I panicked because the last question was so basic that I though I had F... Up. Verbal was a piece of cake. I didn't take any of the breaks. At the end I was sure that I was doomed in Math and was reconsidering applying to the MBA since that hell of a month was not an experience that I wanted to repeat. Final Score: 740.

So, what's the moral of the story: set your own path and use everyones story as inspiration but not as a recipe. Before doing the test I read all this wacky stories and tips of how to study and what to read and what not, I started feeling frustrated of reading stories of people with months of study and perfect practice tests and then busting the real thing. I read about the importance of sleep, etc.

I don't know if 740 is really high but I can tell you that I'm not a genius nor particularly bright, I think I'm smart for business but I'm in owe of some of my friends from college that really do science. I usually get less sleep than average (6 hours) but I had never slept so little and work so hard, I was forced by the situation and everything went well.

Study Material:
- 8 Manhattan
- Manhattan Flashcards
- 2 practice CAT from mba dot com
- The "hardest section" of the gmatclub tests (by the way, in most of them I got more than half of the problems wrong but helped a lot with speed) and gmatclub math book.

I hope to contribute more to this forum in the future and to be as lucky to get into Stanford as I was with the GMAT.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: A normal GMAT experience with 740 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 16:17
Thanks for your nice story and congratulations on achieving that high score. I hope all goes well for you and that you get into the MBA programme of your choice.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 579 [0], given: 114

Re: A normal GMAT experience with 740 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 16:20
Well done and congratulations on your rushed (yet successful) GMAT journey! Now you should follow your favorite schools with our application tracker. Check out: the-bed-wetting-applicant-thread-for-116569.html?fl=menu and click on the schools of your choice. I figure you are applying for next year, so come and join the community, and you'll be well on your way to reaching your top schools.

Congrats again!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A normal GMAT experience with 740 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 16:38
Congratulations on an amazing score. 740 is in the 95+% percentile, so it is nothing to scoff at!

Great debrief.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: A normal GMAT experience with 740 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 08:04
Congrats and kudos for the very good debrief. Your post really motivates me....

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: A normal GMAT experience with 740 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 11:01
This post received
KUDOS
Your post also inspired me to share info about myself. I scored a 7690 on the GMAT and have a 3.2 GPA from a good state university in the US. I am a bit low on outside acitivities in recent years because I have been buried in consulting work for the past three years. I feel I am pretty strong on work experience, good recommendations and a high level of responsibility. I was pretty involved as an undergrad (econ major), pres of econ club, co-captain of the lacrosse team, and also edited a section of the paper for two years.
I have been admitted to Booth and Columbia and have submitted a final application to Wharton for the third round. Wish me luck!
Re: A normal GMAT experience with 740   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2012, 11:01