Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 16:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 893
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 33

A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2007, 23:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people can be traced back to a common root language.
(A) that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people can be traced
(B) that the world’s five billion people speak thousands of languages of which all can be traced
(C) the world’s five billion people speak thousands of languages which are all traceable
(D) all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people to be traceable
(E) the ability to trace all of the thousands of languages that are spoken by the world’s five billion people


Please explain the correct one????
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 592
Location: Kuwait
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2007, 04:49
Idiom: Contend + "that"
POE: throw away C, D ,and E

A is better than B because the issue concerns the languages spoken more than who speaks the languages. So, the rthe linguists primarily contend something about the languages. "which all can be traced" is awkward and incorrect.

Answer is A
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 783
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2007, 08:50
Should be 'A'.
Close call between A and B.

Using of active voice is not always correct. Yes active voice is preferred to the passive voice as long as active voice conveys the meaning emphatically.

Here the object in light is 'Languages' not the 'People'. So passive voice is preferred.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2772
Location: New York City
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000SC #16 [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2007, 22:17
LM wrote:
A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people can be traced back to a common root language.
(A) that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people can be traced
(B) that the world’s five billion people speak thousands of languages of which all can be traced
(C) the world’s five billion people speak thousands of languages which are all traceable
(D) all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people to be traceable
(E) the ability to trace all of the thousands of languages that are spoken by the world’s five billion people


Please explain the correct one????


Contend that is the idiom. I eliminated B because which was not preceded by a comma.

What is the correct usage of of which?
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2772
Location: New York City
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000SC #16 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 06:14
bmwhype2 wrote:
LM wrote:
A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people can be traced back to a common root language.
(A) that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people can be traced
(B) that the world’s five billion people speak thousands of languages of which all can be traced
(C) the world’s five billion people speak thousands of languages which are all traceable
(D) all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people to be traceable
(E) the ability to trace all of the thousands of languages that are spoken by the world’s five billion people


Please explain the correct one????


Contend that is the idiom. I eliminated B because which was not preceded by a comma.

What is the correct usage of of which?


which is correctly used here because it is preceeded by a prepostion. but I now see why B is wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2007
Posts: 252
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000SC #16 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 06:19
So the use of "which" preceded by a preposition is always correct :?:


bmwhype2 wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
LM wrote:
A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people can be traced back to a common root language.
(A) that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people can be traced
(B) that the world’s five billion people speak thousands of languages of which all can be traced
(C) the world’s five billion people speak thousands of languages which are all traceable
(D) all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people to be traceable
(E) the ability to trace all of the thousands of languages that are spoken by the world’s five billion people


Please explain the correct one????


Contend that is the idiom. I eliminated B because which was not preceded by a comma.

What is the correct usage of of which?


which is correctly used here because it is preceeded by a prepostion. but I now see why B is wrong.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2772
Location: New York City
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000SC #16 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 06:26
empty_spaces wrote:
So the use of "which" preceded by a preposition is always correct :?:


bmwhype2 wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
LM wrote:
A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people can be traced back to a common root language.
(A) that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people can be traced
(B) that the world’s five billion people speak thousands of languages of which all can be traced
(C) the world’s five billion people speak thousands of languages which are all traceable
(D) all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people to be traceable
(E) the ability to trace all of the thousands of languages that are spoken by the world’s five billion people


Please explain the correct one????


Contend that is the idiom. I eliminated B because which was not preceded by a comma.

What is the correct usage of of which?


which is correctly used here because it is preceeded by a prepostion. but I now see why B is wrong.


depends on the context. we cant say through/in/over/under which in B.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 08:08
Going with A
B, C, D are verbose and E is having different meaning.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2007
Posts: 120
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: 1000SC #16 [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 13:43
Well..if we consider modifier subject closeness rule, doesn't B make more sense than A? The modifier "all can be traced" is placed closer to the subject "languages" that it is in A.
Moreover A is passive.

Please explain.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 143
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000SC #16 [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 20:00
A is the right answer.

"Which" seems to be referring back to people moreover needs a comma.
Re: 1000SC #16   [#permalink] 27 May 2008, 20:00
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of GMATtaker777 1 09 Dec 2012, 13:30
A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of goalsnr 10 28 Sep 2010, 11:32
A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of alimad 0 12 Jun 2007, 10:33
A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of ywilfred 3 30 Aug 2005, 07:02
A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of saurya_s 4 19 Aug 2005, 13:08
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.