Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Clausesx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 184 [81]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [58]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [9]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of languages [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO, A.

(A) contend that is idiomatically correct - best option
(B) too wordy - eliminate
(C) need a comma before which - eliminate
(D) too wordy - to be traceable - eliminate
(E) change in the meaning of the sentence - eliminate
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of languages [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
The issue is not about the linguist’s contending their ability to trace back something to something. It is a general statement to say that these languages can be traced to a common root. By shifting the focus to the linguist’s ability, the meaning is altered.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The difference between A and B is meaning. B says that every person in the world speak thousands of languages. That is not correct.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people can be traced back to a common root language.

(A) that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people can be traced
(B) that the world’s five billion people speak thousands of languages of which all can be traced
(C) the world’s five billion people speak thousands of languages which are all traceable
(D) all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people to be traceable
(E) the ability to trace all of the thousands of languages that are spoken by the world’s five billion people[/quote]

Subjunctive word "contend" should be followed by "that" - Hence C, D and E are Out

B - Indirection construction and usage of "of which" makes the sentence wordy

Hence - A
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma

Is there any issue of preference of active voice (as in A) over passive voice in B?
I think there is also a pronoun ambiguity in B since which can not refer to plural nouns - languages
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma

Is there any issue of preference of active voice (as in A) over passive voice in B?
I think there is also a pronoun ambiguity in B since which can not refer to plural nouns - languages

adkikani - I am no expert but let me try to help you. Between A and B biggest reason to select A is meaning. "five billion people speak thousands of languages" . this part is impossible. five billion people can not speak 1000 languages. Grammatically I think both the choices are correct.
What pronoun ambiguity you are talking about. Can you please be more specific .

A is certainly a better choice cause of the correct meaning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
+1 for A

that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world's five billion people can be traced- contend that is idiomatic. B & C illogically means that linguists content that 5 billion people speak languages-not the intended meaning of the sentence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
pjreddy_rec wrote:
A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world's five billion people can be traced back to a common root language.

(A) that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world's five billion people can be traced

(B) that the world's five billion people speak thousands of languages of which all can be traced

(C) the world's five billion people speak thousands of languages which are all traceable

(D) all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world's five billion people to be traceable

(E) the ability to trace all of the thousands of languages that are spoken by the world's five billion people

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 157
Page: 676

Meaning - The author intends to say that thousands of languages can be traced to a common root.

Marker - "That"

"That" has the following functions:
a. It can function as a noun modifier
b. It can function as a pronoun
c. It can function as a subordinator

Here "That" is used with an intention to talk more about linguist's contention which can be achieved via "a" or "c".

Since "contend" is used as a verb, 'that' in the sentence is used more as a subordinator than a noun modifier.

So, this concludes we need "that" in the sentence.

So we are left with options A and B.

The problem with option B is that the author would instead convey the meaning that the contention is about the world's 5 billion people instead of languages which is incorrect.

So option B is ruled out and hence the correct option is A.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
In this sentence ‘contend’ is a word that requires a ‘that’ to follow it.
We can safely eliminate Options C, D and E for this reason.

Now we are down to Options A and B.

Option B says that ‘five billion people speak thousands of languages’ which is not the main point of this sentence. This structure brings to the forefront a detail that can come after the main subject. Eliminate

Option A corrects this error and is therefore the best option.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
GMATtaker777 wrote:
16. A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people can be traced back to a common root language.
(A) that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people can be traced
(B) that the world’s five billion people speak thousands of languages of which all can be traced
(C) the world’s five billion people speak thousands of languages which are all traceable
(D) all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world’s five billion people to be traceable
(E) the ability to trace all of the thousands of languages that are spoken by the world’s five billion people

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

First of all, on the GMAT, verb like contend, argue, suggest, think, assert, conclude, etc. require a "that"-clause, and the word "that" must appear. In colloquial English, I can say "I thought he was coming" --- that would be fine in ordinary conversation, but it is not up to GMAT standards. GMAT grammar standards demand the word "that" in this context.

Here, that immediately eliminates (C) & (D) & (E). Now, we just choosing between (A) & (B).

Both (A) & (B) are grammatically correct, and it is more a question of emphasis. The substance of the linguists' claim is that the 1000s of languages have a common root language --- a mind-blowing idea. How many people are on earth speaking these 1000s of languages is more a detail for emphasis, and should not be front & center. Choice (A) makes the "thousands of languages ... can be traced" the main subject & verb of the "that"-clause, and this is the heart of the linguist claim. Choice B emphasizes the words "the world’s five billion people speak" by making that the main subject & verb of the "that"-clause ---- this makes brings something that should be a detail to front & center, and relegates what should be the main focuses to a secondary subordinate clause nested inside the "that"-clause. In choice B, the grammatical relations are at odds with the logical priorities. In a well designed sentence, grammar should support logic and the priority of the argument at all steps. Therefore, (B) has problems, but (A) is the best possible answer.

Arguably, choice A is not ideal --- arguably, one could find a more elegant way to express this information. Nevertheless, on GMAT SC, the job is not to find the best possible sentence, but only to find the best among the five available options. Here, (A) is the best of the five.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)

Hi mikemcgarry

these days, in WSJ, i see "that" omitted at a number of places. Since your post is from 2012, I want to ask if it is still a MUST to have "that" before contend, argue, suggest, think, assert, conclude, etc, or is it only PREFERRED?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of languages [#permalink]
pjreddy_rec wrote:
A number of linguists contend that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world's five billion people can be traced back to a common root language.

(A) that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world's five billion people can be traced

(B) that the world's five billion people speak thousands of languages of which all can be traced

(C) the world's five billion people speak thousands of languages which are all traceable

(D) all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world's five billion people to be traceable

(E) the ability to trace all of the thousands of languages that are spoken by the world's five billion people

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 157
Page: 676

Hi GMATNinja,

Kindly help me with below doubts

1. do we have an IC that IC structure here (can 2 ICs be connected with a that?)
2. What is the subject in that clause - (that all of the thousands of languages spoken by the world's five billion people can be traced ) -
here the subject is "ALL" or "All of the thousands of languages".
3. The part after that is IC or its a DC ?

4. in the non underlined, what is the subject? "A number of Linguists" or linguists ?
5. in the non underlined, contend is a plural verb, so what is its subject?

Gmatwarrior27
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos