Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A number of oranges are to be distributed evenly among a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS, Harvard, Booth, Stanford, ISB, NTU
WE 1: S/W Engineer
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 15

A number of oranges are to be distributed evenly among a [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 09:05
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (02:29) correct 56% (01:35) wrong based on 241 sessions
A number of oranges are to be distributed evenly among a number of baskets. Each basket will contain at least one orange. If there are 20 oranges to be distributed, what is the number of oranges per basket?

(1) If the number of baskets were halved and all other conditions remained the same, there would be twice as many oranges in every remaining basket.

(2) If the number of baskets were doubled, it would no longer be possible to place at least one orange in every basket.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS, Harvard, Booth, Stanford, ISB, NTU
WE 1: S/W Engineer

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

Re: Baskets and oranges [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 09:07
Very simple if one basic rule is known!
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3611

Kudos [?]: 28891 [5] , given: 2860

Re: Baskets and oranges [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 09:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jananijayakumar wrote:
A number of oranges are to be distributed evenly among a number of baskets. Each basket will contain at least one orange. If there are 20 oranges to be distributed, what is the number of oranges per basket?

(1) If the number of baskets were halved and all other conditions remained the same, there would be twice as many oranges in every remaining basket.

(2) If the number of baskets were doubled, it would no longer be possible to place at least one orange in every basket.

Given: \frac{20}{b}=integer=x, basically we are told that # of baskets, b, is a factor of 20, so b could be: 1, 2, 4, 5, 10, or 20.

(1) \frac{20}{\frac{b}{2}}=2x --> \frac{20}{b}=x, the same info as in stem (only one possible values of b is excluded: 1, as if b=1 it can not be halved). Not sufficient.

(2) 2b>20 --> only one value of b satisfies this: b=20. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: Baskets and oranges [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 21:04
There could be 20 , 10, 5, 4, 2, 1 basket(s). According to the first point it could either be 20 baskets or 10 baskets initially. So it is not sufficient.
Second point clearly states "If the number of baskets were doubled, it would no longer be possible to place at least one orange in every basket." So it has to be 20 and hence B
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Baskets and oranges [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 13:55
I dont really understand the problem, and the answer B. If for example, 12 basket are there originally, 20 oranges are placed in those 12 baskets (assuming initially they are not evenly distributed and task at hand is to distribute them evenly) , and doubling the basket to 24 would still satisfy statement 2 but at the same time we can't determine exact number of baskets.

I am assuming that they are NOT already evenly distributed because question or any statement doesnt say that explicitly.

Not sure what am I missing!

"Learning never exhausts the mind."
--Leonardo da Vinci

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 9

Re: Baskets and oranges [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 03:05
The question says explicitly that number of basket to be decided in such a ways that there are always even distribution. Check "distributed evenly " in the qustion
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 17

Re: Baskets and oranges [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 06:27
Bunuel wrote:
jananijayakumar wrote:

Given: \frac{20}{b}=integer=x, basically we are told that # of baskets, b, is a factor of 20, so b could be: 1, 2, 4, 5, 10, or 20.

(1) \frac{20}{\frac{b}{2}}=2x --> \frac{20}{b}=x, the same info as in stem (only one possible values of b is excluded: 1, as if b=1 it can not be halved). Not sufficient.

I am unable to understand this problem and solution!!!
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28891 [2] , given: 2860

Re: Baskets and oranges [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 08:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
utin wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
jananijayakumar wrote:

I am unable to understand this problem and solution!!!

I agree with you that the wording is quite ambiguous.

Intended meaning of the question is as follows:
1. there are 20 oranges b baskets;
2. These 20 oranges COULD be evenly (equally) distributed among these b baskets, so the number of baskets is a factor of 20: 1, 2, 4, 5, 10, or 20;

Question: "what is the number of oranges per basket" or \frac{20}{b}=? So we should find the # of baskets.

(1) If the number of baskets were halved and all other conditions remained the same, there would be twice as many oranges in every remaining basket --> just tells us that # of baskets is even as it can be halved, everything else we knew before: obviously if you halve the number of baskets then each basket will contain twice as many oranges as before. So number of baskets is: 2, 4, 10, or 20. Not sufficient.

(2) If the number of baskets were doubled, it would no longer be possible to place at least one orange in every basket --> twice the number of baskets is more than 20 --> only b=20 satisfies this, so we have 20 baskets. Sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '15

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

A number of oranges are to be distributed evenly among a [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 11:19

My answer was D.

Statement 1:

No of baskets halved = N /2

twice as many oranges in every remaining basket:

I interpreted it as

N / 2 2 (N / 20)
------- =

40/N = N/10
N^2 = 400
N = 20

So sufficient.

Statement 2: Factors of 20: 1,2,4,5,10,20.

So out of the above factors, only doubling 20 would not be able to accommodate 20 oranges. so Sufficient.

My answer was D. But MGMAT answer is different. Could someone explain whats wrong with this?

Last edited by Zarrolou on 04 Aug 2013, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 613 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A number of oranges are to be distributed evenly among a [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 11:28
sudharsansuski wrote:

My answer was D.

Statement 1:

No of baskets halved = N /2

twice as many oranges in every remaining basket:

I interpreted it as

N / 2 2 (N / 20)
------- =

40/N = N/10
N^2 = 400
N = 20

So sufficient.

Statement 2: Factors of 20: 1,2,4,5,10,20.

So out of the above factors, only doubling 20 would not be able to accommodate 20 oranges. so Sufficient.

My answer was D. But MGMAT answer is different. Could someone explain whats wrong with this?

let number of basket = x
number of oranges in each basket = y
therefore x*y = 20

now statement 1:
If the number of baskets were halved and all other conditions remained the same, there would be twice as many oranges in every remaining basket
no. of basket = x/2 then no. of oranges in each basket = 2y
therefore x/2)*2y = 20
again same comes out x*y = 20
hence in sufficient.

statement 2:
If the number of baskets were doubled, it would no longer be possible to place at least one orange in every basket
no. of basket = 2x
then 2x>20
x>10
now for evenly distributing 20 oranges with number of baskets greater than 10
number of baskets must be = 20
hence suffiecient

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 169

Re: A number of oranges are to be distributed evenly among a [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 12:05
To me it seems a slightly ambiguous question. I agree with Bunuel, no of baskets could be either of 1, 2, 4, 5, 10, 20 and thus no of oranges per basket could be 20, 10, 5, 4, 2, 1 respectively..

(1) there are more than one cases which satisfy the given condition, viz., no of baskets could be 2, 4, 10 or 20 for this statement.. so not sufficient

(2) if no of baskets is doubled, it isnt possible to place at least one orange per basket.. according to me it can happen for TWO cases: one where the no of baskets is '20' and two, where no of baskets is '4'.. because for this second case too, if no of baskets is doubled (made 8), How can we place one orange per basket so that we keep no of oranges per basket constant (remember we have to keep the question in mind which says oranges are to be distributed Evenly among the baskets.. which essentially means same no of oranges per basket)... so i think it cannot be 'b'.. this statement is not sufficient

IF we now combine the two statements, we still have both these cases satisfying the given conditions: no of baskets as '4' and no of baskets as '20'.. i think answer should be 'E'..
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28891 [0], given: 2860

Re: A number of oranges are to be distributed evenly among a [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 01:08
Expert's post
amanvermagmat wrote:
To me it seems a slightly ambiguous question. I agree with Bunuel, no of baskets could be either of 1, 2, 4, 5, 10, 20 and thus no of oranges per basket could be 20, 10, 5, 4, 2, 1 respectively..

(1) there are more than one cases which satisfy the given condition, viz., no of baskets could be 2, 4, 10 or 20 for this statement.. so not sufficient

(2) if no of baskets is doubled, it isnt possible to place at least one orange per basket.. according to me it can happen for TWO cases: one where the no of baskets is '20' and two, where no of baskets is '4'.. because for this second case too, if no of baskets is doubled (made 8), How can we place one orange per basket so that we keep no of oranges per basket constant (remember we have to keep the question in mind which says oranges are to be distributed Evenly among the baskets.. which essentially means same no of oranges per basket)... so i think it cannot be 'b'.. this statement is not sufficient

IF we now combine the two statements, we still have both these cases satisfying the given conditions: no of baskets as '4' and no of baskets as '20'.. i think answer should be 'E'..

I see your point but still you are not correct. The point is that the condition about even distribution applies only to the original # of baskets.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 109

CAT Tests
Re: Baskets and oranges [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 04:39
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:

2. These 20 oranges COULD be evenly (equally) distributed among these b baskets, so the number of baskets is a factor of 20: 1, 2, 4, 5, 10, or 20;

Question: "what is the number of oranges per basket" or \frac{20}{b}=? So we should find the # of baskets.

(1) If the number of baskets were halved and all other conditions remained the same, there would be twice as many oranges in every remaining basket --> just tells us that # of baskets is even as it can be halved, everything else we knew before: obviously if you halve the number of baskets then each basket will contain twice as many oranges as before. So number of baskets is: 2, 4, 5, 10, or 20. Not sufficient.

(2) If the number of baskets were doubled, it would no longer be possible to place at least one orange in every basket --> twice the number of baskets is more than 20 --> only b=20 satisfies this, so we have 20 baskets. Sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

I think according to statement 1, the number of baskets CANNOT be 5 as we cannot have a decimal number of baskets when 5 is divided by 2. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Baskets and oranges [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 04:45
Expert's post
emailmkarthik wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) If the number of baskets were halved and all other conditions remained the same, there would be twice as many oranges in every remaining basket --> just tells us that # of baskets is even as it can be halved, everything else we knew before: obviously if you halve the number of baskets then each basket will contain twice as many oranges as before. So number of baskets is: 2, 4, 5, 10, or 20. Not sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

I think according to statement 1, the number of baskets CANNOT be 5 as we cannot have a decimal number of baskets when 5 is divided by 2. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited the typo. Thank you.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 225

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Baskets and oranges [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 03:18
Bunuel wrote:

Answer: B.[/quote]

i did the first statement as

N/2=2X got,N=4X which seems to be wrong.

whats wrong with this approach?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Baskets and oranges [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 03:23
Expert's post
saggii27 wrote:
i did the first statement as

N/2=2X got,N=4X which seems to be wrong.

whats wrong with this approach?

What is N there? The number of baskets? b in my solution? What is the logic behind what you've written?

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 307

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A number of oranges are to be distributed evenly among a [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 05:27
jananijayakumar wrote:

Statement 1

Many possibilities, basically all combinations of factors of 20, namely 4-5, 20-1, 2-10 etc..

So 2 cases for instance

If baskets were 10 and then halved to 5 then oranges per basket increase from 2 to 4

If baskets were 20 and then halved to 10 then oranges per basket increase from 1 to 2

Insuff

Statement 2

One has to be careful here, it says that if double it won't be possible to place AT LEAST 1 orange. This doesn't mean that we won't be able to divide evenly, this means that the number of oranges will be less than 1 if we double. So only possible answer is 20 since 20/40=.5 oranges per basket, not possible

Hope it clarifies
Cheers
J :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 401

Re: A number of oranges are to be distributed evenly among a [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 08:50
Hi all,

Here evenly means equally no? (Think so, therefore it will make sense)

Thanks for discussion!

Think outside the box

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: A number of oranges are to be distributed evenly among a [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 01:17
Expert's post
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 81

CAT Tests
Re: A number of oranges are to be distributed evenly among a [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2014, 04:33
jananijayakumar wrote:

I always used to afraid of word problem but i got this . :twisted:

info from question:
A number of oranges are to be distributed evenly among a number of baskets . Each basket will contain at least one orange.

so total 20 oranges - when it is evenly distributed then basket count would be , factors of 20 i.e. 1, 2,4,5,10,20.

1. if there are 20 basket then each have 1 orange & if baskets are reduced to half then 10 baskets then 2 oranges in each.. but there are other possibility as well if there were 4 basket at the begin & its reduced to 2 baskets then 10 oranges in each.. so we could get more than 2 values for count of oranges in each basket. Not suff.

2. only one possible condition would suffice this statement . if there are 20 basket & each has one then when basket count is doubled then some baskets will not get oranges. hence there should be one orange per basket. Suff.

Answer B
Re: A number of oranges are to be distributed evenly among a   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2014, 04:33