Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 07:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A nutritionist studying the effects of massive doses of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2005, 22:14
I will go for D also
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2005, 06:16
D.

C is wrong because it states 'fewer than 9%' , so arriving at 25% would be incorrect by deducting 9 from 34....its could be anywhere between 25 and 34.

Thanks!

CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
CR-Gmatter wut???? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 10:27
A nutritionist studying the effects of massive doses of vitamin C found that of a group of 600 people who regularly took 1,500 mg of vitamin C daily for a year, fewer than 9 percent suffered serious cases of flu; of a group of 600 people who took 250 mg of vitamin C (the standard recommended daily allowance) daily for a year, 34 percent suffered at least one serious case of flu; and of a group of 600 people who took no vitamin C for a year (other than that found in the foods in a balanced diet), 32 percent suffered at least one serious case of flu.
Which of the following hypotheses is best supported by the evidence above?

A. The effectiveness of vitamin C in preventing serious cases of flu increases in direct proportion to the amount of vitamin C taken.

B. Vitamin C is helpful in preventing disease.

C. Doses of vitamin C that exceed the standard recommended daily allowance by 500 percent will reduce the incidence of serious cases of flu by 25 percent.

D. Massive doses of vitamin C can help to prevent serious case of flu.

E. A balanced diet contains less than 250 mg of vitamin C

??????? I was going over questions I did in Gmatter last night.

Origanlly last night the answer was C, now today it says the answer is D???

What gives?
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Gmatter wut???? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 10:49
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
A nutritionist studying the effects of massive doses of vitamin C found that of a group of 600 people who regularly took 1,500 mg of vitamin C daily for a year, fewer than 9 percent suffered serious cases of flu; of a group of 600 people who took 250 mg of vitamin C (the standard recommended daily allowance) daily for a year, 34 percent suffered at least one serious case of flu; and of a group of 600 people who took no vitamin C for a year (other than that found in the foods in a balanced diet), 32 percent suffered at least one serious case of flu.

A. The effectiveness of vitamin C in preventing serious cases of flu increases in direct proportion to the amount of vitamin C taken.

B. Vitamin C is helpful in preventing disease.

C. Doses of vitamin C that exceed the standard recommended daily allowance by 500 percent will reduce the incidence of serious cases of flu by 25 percent.

D. Massive doses of vitamin C can help to prevent serious case of flu.

E. A balanced diet contains less than 250 mg of vitamin C

??????? I was going over questions I did in Gmatter last night.

Origanlly last night the answer was C, now today it says the answer is D???

What gives?

C for me
E is out of scope
A, B is not true. No vitamin produces less cases of flu
D could be true, but who defines massive???
C is more descriptive and it clearly explains.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 11:39
C for me.
Deducible from the arg...
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 11:51
strange i only get C for the answer. maybe there's something wrong with the software
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 12:04
C is wrong because the reduction of 25% doesnt mean that the incidence of flu is reduced from 34 to 9%. It means that it is reduced 25%. so 34%-(34*.25) = 25.5%. This contradicts the arguments findings of 9%.

Tricky question. I changed my mind twice.

Last edited by JDMBA on 09 Oct 2007, 12:12, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 12:08
Even without doing the math on C, I would choose D.

I feel it's too strong to say that it "will" reduce the incidence, whereas "can help" isn't so absolute.

It's probably a statistics/semantics argument, but I'm sticking with it!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 12:09
For me the answer is D.
C is incorrect because when the incidence is 34% for normal dosage, a 25% reduction will mean 34% - 25% of 34% , which is 25.5%
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 12:10
Edit: now that I've looked at the numbers, doesn't the increased dose lead to a 74% decrease?

It would be a ~25 percentage point decrease, but 25 percentage points is equal to 74% of the initial incidence.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '10

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 17:48
It could either be C or D.

You're right on the "25% decrease" is only 25% of 34%, not a 25% absolute drop.

But who says that 1,500 is a 'massive' dose. Massive is far too ambiguous. Massive to me would be like 15,000 ...

Don't worry about it - move on to the next one
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
nutritionist studying the effects of massive doses of vitami [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 03:31

(A) The effectiveness of vitamin C in preventing serious cases of flu increases in direct proportion to the amount of vitamin C taken.
(B) Vitamin C is helpful in preventing disease.
(C) Doses of vitamin C that exceed the standard recommended daily allowance by 500 percent will reduce the incidence of serious cases of flu by 25 percent.
(D) Massive doses of vitamin C can help to prevent serious case of flu.
(E) A balanced diet contains less than 250 mg of vitamin C.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: nutritionist studying the effects of massive doses of vitami [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 03:40
(A) The effectiveness of vitamin C in preventing serious cases of flu increases in direct proportion to the amount of vitamin C taken.
Not shown by the text
Not proven
Not shown by the text

So between C and D.

I think D has a problem, because we have not defined what we can call massive dose.

So answer has to be C.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: nutritionist studying the effects of massive doses of vitami [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 11:36
automan wrote:

(A) The effectiveness of vitamin C in preventing serious cases of flu increases in direct proportion to the amount of vitamin C taken. The evidence contradicts this hypotheses
(B) Vitamin C is helpful in preventing disease. the evidence talks about specific disease and does not mention anything abt diseases in general
(C) Doses of vitamin C that exceed the standard recommended daily allowance by 500 percent will reduce the incidence of serious cases of flu by 25 percent. A hypotheses is a message based on incomplete evidence. Hence it cannot be concluded to the point from evidence.
(D) Massive doses of vitamin C can help to prevent serious case of flu. This seems to be the best option
(E) A balanced diet contains less than 250 mg of vitamin C. contradicts the evidence
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: nutritionist studying the effects of massive doses of vitami [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 12:39
I think it's D

C sounds beautiful, but 25% of 32 is not less than 9%, therefore is wrong.
Please correct me if i am wrong.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: nutritionist studying the effects of massive doses of vitami [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 13:36
namurad wrote:
automan wrote:

(A) The effectiveness of vitamin C in preventing serious cases of flu increases in direct proportion to the amount of vitamin C taken. The evidence contradicts this hypotheses
(B) Vitamin C is helpful in preventing disease. the evidence talks about specific disease and does not mention anything abt diseases in general
(C) Doses of vitamin C that exceed the standard recommended daily allowance by 500 percent will reduce the incidence of serious cases of flu by 25 percent. A hypotheses is a message based on incomplete evidence. Hence it cannot be concluded to the point from evidence.
(D) Massive doses of vitamin C can help to prevent serious case of flu. This seems to be the best option
(E) A balanced diet contains less than 250 mg of vitamin C. contradicts the evidence

I think you are right. C can be inferred from the information stated in the argument, but this is not an hypothesis. An hyphotesis requires us to conclude something from all the facts and evidences presented in the passage. Therefore D must be the correct anwer. Do you agree with me?
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: nutritionist studying the effects of massive doses of vitami [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 05:35
automan wrote:

(C) Doses of vitamin C that exceed the standard recommended daily allowance by 500 percent will reduce the incidence of serious cases of flu by 25 percent.
(D) Massive doses of vitamin C can help to prevent serious case of flu.

the only possible answers could be b/w C and D. D says "massive"doses..we don't know what a massive dose is. moreover, we don't know if taking vit C helps prevent..we know that it reduces...anyway C is wrong in that taking vit C doesn't reduce of 25%..we would have a 75%decrease...so OA is D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: nutritionist studying the effects of massive doses of vitami [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 10:21
michaelny2001 wrote:
I think it's D

C sounds beautiful, but 25% of 32 is not less than 9%, therefore is wrong.
Please correct me if i am wrong.

The hypotheses talks about the dosage being 500% more than normal daily dosage. Hence the decrease in no of flu cases also should be relative to the no of flu cases in population adhering to normal daily dosage (which is 34%). 25% less 34% = 9%.
I think C should be rejected on the basis of its accuracy rather than inaccuracy :)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 148

Kudos [?]: 488 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 02:03
Hi,
I was lured by B that talk about preventing disease, not about case of flu, damn it.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 667 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Gmatter wut???? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 06:40
In D, it says - Massive doses of vitamin C can help to prevent serious case of flu. But, there are chances of still getting the flu.

So, I marked A.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Re: CR-Gmatter wut????   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2010, 06:40