Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I want to criticize the social system, and to show it at

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

I want to criticize the social system, and to show it at [#permalink] New post 01 May 2005, 03:31
“I want to criticize the social system, and to show it at work, at its most intense.â€

When u r about to make ends meet, someone moves the ends.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 01 May 2005, 03:32
Pls also post your explaination. clear explaination shows your confidence.
:wink:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 01:42
Took too long :( .. here are my choices:

17. A .
From the lines
But Virginia Woolf was a realistic as well as a poetic novelist, a satirist and social critic as well as a visionary

18. guess E. :roll:
But Virginia Woolf was a realistic as well as a poetic novelist, a satirist and social critic as well as a visionary: literary critics’ cavalier dismissal of Woolf’s social vision will not withstand scrutiny

19. D.
anything Chaucer said or wrote; and yet, as we read him, we are absorbing morality at every pore

20. B.
Woolf is deeply engaged by the questions of how individuals are shaped (or deformed) by their social environments, how historical forces impinge on people’s lives, how class, wealth, and gender help to determine people’s fates.

21. E.
Woolf’s own social criticism is expressed in the language of observation rather than in direct commentary, since for her, fiction is a contemplative, not an active art. She describes phenomena and provides materials for a judgment about society and social issues; it is the reader’s work to put the observations together and understand the coherent point of view behind them.

What are the OAs?
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

My take [#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 05:40
I'd say...

17. E) Virginia Woolf’s Novels: Critical Reflections on the Individual and on Society

Because this title covers all paragraphs without stepping out of bounds.

18. (A) disparaging

Because the authors disapproves the view of the critic by saying "
literary critics’ cavalier dismissal of Woolf’s social vision will not withstand scrutiny."

19. D) Chaucer’s writing was greatly, if subtly, effective in influencing the moral attitudes of his readers

Evidence: As she put it in The Common Reader, “It is safe to say that not a single law has been framed or one stone set upon another because of anything Chaucer said or wrote; and yet, as we read him, we are absorbing morality at every pore.â€
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 11:05
17 C (IMO, the passage all about understanding Woolf's novels i.e. her approach to writing)
18 E (...But Virginia Woolf was a realistic as well as a poetic novelist, a satirist and social critic as well as a visionary: literary critics’ cavalier dismissal of Woolf’s social vision will not withstand scrutiny). The author seems disappointed but hopes that the critics will not win.
19. C (Like Chaucer, Woolf chose to understand as well as to judge, to know her society root and branch—a decision crucial in order to produce art rather than polemic)
20. B (In her novels, Woolf is deeply engaged by the questions of how individuals are shaped (or deformed) by their social environments, how historical forces impinge on people’s lives, how class, wealth, and gender help to determine people’s fates)
21. B (...it is the reader’s work to put the observations together and understand the coherent point of view behind them)

C,E,C,B,B.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 22:18
17. E

Very little in the passage pertains to poetry. The paragraphs do not mention Virginia as a 20th-century writer. Reform movements? Allegory?

18. A

Guessed. I just did not care for the other choices.

19. D

The passage hints at Chaucer’s ability for making social commentary without being direct.

20. B

In order for her novels to “realistically renderâ€
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 May 2005, 06:03
Wow a very nice/convoluted/interently difficult passage to comprehend. I took 16 minutes [4 minutes to read and 12 to answer questions]. Waaaay too long. Anyways here are my AC's and their explanations:

17) My AC is E
A) Talks nothing about how Woolfe perceives society and how her work is different from other [judgemental vs non-judgemental]. Too narrow
B) Plain wrong because of "20th Century". We are given no timeframe of reference.
C) Wrong. Contemporary Reform Movements? What where did that come from? Also how is that the key to understanding novels by Woolfe?
D) Wrong. Because the author doesnt talk about society representing individuals
E) I like it because its broad enough. Para 2, 3 and 4 can be summarized by "reflections on individuals and society"

18) My AC is A. Author's attitude is captured by the following sentence: "Literary critics's cavalier dismissal of Woolf's social vision will not withstand scrutiny"

A) My AC is A. disparaging ---> maybe, albeit a bit too strong. But given how poor the other AC's are i'm going with this one.
B) I dont sense any irony in the aforementioned statement.
C) Humor?? I dont see humor in the statement. Boot out
D) D: Too mild. Again bolded words do not capture D
E) E: Bolded word doesnt translate to E

19) My AC is D. Woolfe chose Chaucer because he didnt enforce his views but was subtle.

A) Wrong because passage never mentions "first english author"....
B) The latter might be true but the Woofe never describes Chaucer as "honest and forthright".
C) The relative comparison is never made in the passage [Understanding Vs Calling Moral Attitudes]
D) Captures the essence of what is stated in the last passage. Very subtle and not enforcing.
E) Baloney......Nothing is said about Woolfe caring about how MANY folks read her work.

20) My AC is B. First 3 lines of para 2 is paraphrased by AC B.

A) Nothing is stated that she was aware of what critics thought of her novel
B) I really liked this AC so i will move on to the others to see if anything else passes the muster.
C) She was putting forth any arguments. Unlike other folks who were....Therefore C is wrong. I had a tough time with this one
D) 4th line in the paragraph says that she really paid a lot of attention to detail because she wasnt interested in propaganda in art. But says nothing about the artist.
E) Again Woolfe knows/says nothing about her critics.

21) My AC is C. Although i was torn between B and C. Woolfe alludes to the fact that each person should make their own judgements. I'll provide the data.

A) Another AC with big words but doesnt convey B or C.
B) I like B but C is more holistic.
D) This isnt the meaning.
E) Baloney. Moral where did that come from

OA please.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 May 2005, 08:05
EECBC....I can explain if correct.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: RC challenge Woolf [#permalink] New post 06 May 2005, 03:53
[quote="mbamantra"]“I want to criticize the social system, and to show it at work, at its most intense.â€
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 06 May 2005, 21:46
E A D B C

do not have OE. winmba is quite right.

[#permalink] 06 May 2005, 21:46