Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 16:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A pair of architects in Britain, who say that giant arches,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1136 [3] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
A pair of architects in Britain, who say that giant arches, [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 06:42
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:58) correct 31% (01:07) wrong based on 166 sessions
A pair of architects in Britain, who say that giant arches, bridges, and walls made of artificial bone could be easier to design and build than conventional structures, and already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, for showing how their idea would work.

(A) build than conventional structures, and already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, for showing
(B) build than conventional structures, and they have already designed a number of structures, which includes a bridge, to show
(C) build than conventional structures, have already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, to show
(D) also to build than conventional structures, already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, which shows
(E) to build than with conventional structures, have already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, which shows
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(A) build than conventional structures, and already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, for showing
(B) build than conventional structures, and they have already designed a number of structures, which includes a bridge, to show
(C) build than conventional structures, have already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, to show
(D) also to build than conventional structures, already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, which shows
(E) to build than with conventional structures, have already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, which shows

"A pair of architects in Britain, (...) , and already designed/and they have already" are wrong, the last part cannot follow the first part. Subject , (...), verb is the structure. The same reasoning can be applied to D.
Only C and E respect that structure. E is not the correct answer because:1) comparison "giant arches made of artificial bone could be easier to design than with conventional structures" 2)use of "which" that modifies "bridge" (which cannot show how their idea works).
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1136 [1] , given: 219

Re: A pair of architects in Britain, who say that [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 23:06
This post received
KUDOS
shaileshmishra wrote:

now this is GMAT like question....and preety well explained by Zarrolou,,but i am also not clear whether a pair of architects is singular or plural..
although i know " a set of mutants" is singular...but here where i am going wrong.

Zarrolou and Daagh ...i request to explain this.

thanks

SKM

Before answering I just want to point out that someone must have deleted the original question, because my post is the answer, not the question!

shaileshmishra, you may find this helpful:

Usage Note: The noun pair can be followed by a singular or plural verb. The singular is always used when pair denotes the set taken as a single entity: This pair of shoes is on sale. A plural verb is used when the members are considered as individuals: The pair are working more harmoniously now. After a number other than one, pair itself can be either singular or plural, but the plural is now more common: She bought six pairs (or pair) of stockings.

source :pair

This should carify, let me know

Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1554 [1] , given: 248

Re: A pair of architects in Britain, who say that giant arches, [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 23:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
@skm

The non-underlined part clearly says- how their idea would work? What does that ‘their’ refer to? It is not going to be bridges or structures or any other inanimate noun for that matter. It has to be only the pair of architects. When the text itself calls it plural, how can we doubt it? That is the reason; I asked to read the entire text for some veritable clues. So going along the context is the right track

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1136 [1] , given: 219

Re: A pair of architects in Britain, who say that [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 01:01
This post received
KUDOS
shaileshmishra wrote:
Hi,

sorry mate but not preety clear as when i am unable to distinguish when it is acting as a set and when acting as a individual...but if possible can please give some more examples....

but thanks...

although daagh explanation i got preety clear...it was the catch in the non underlined portion...

thanks to both of you

SKM

This is beyond the question.

The usage of pair is not 100% clear, I checked a number of sites and a Rule for its usage it's not unanimous.
Having said so I think that my previous post should be a good rule:

"The singular is always used when pair denotes the set taken as a single entity". No doubt here, "a pair of scissors" denotes a single entity and requires a "is" as verb.
"A plural verb is used when the members are considered as individuals". When you can "split" the members as in this case ("a pair of architects" is not a single set like the scissors) you can use a plural verb. However, and this is the point, in this case both is/are seem correct.

This is what I've found in many web sites. Hope this helps...

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 567 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A pair of architects in Britain, who say that [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 22:02
This post received
KUDOS
rrkan wrote:
shaileshmishra wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:
A pair of architects in Britain, who say that giant arches, bridges, and walls made of artificial bone could be easier to design and build than conventional structures,and already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, for showing how their idea would work.

"A pair of architects in Britain, (...) , and already designed/and they have already" are wrong, the last part cannot follow the first part. Subject , (...), verb is the structure. The same reasoning can be applied to D.
Only C and E respect that structure. E is not the correct answer because:1) comparison "giant arches made of artificial bone could be easier to design than with conventional structures" 2)use of "which" that modifies "bridge" (which cannot show how their idea works).

now this is GMAT like question....and preety well explained by Zarrolou,,but i am also not clear whether a pair of architects is singular or plural..
although i know " a set of mutants" is singular...but here where i am going wrong.

thanks

SKM

Please explain why and is wrong in B and already wrong in D

hi rrkan,

the original given sentence is as follows:
A pair of architects in Britain, who say that giant arches, bridges, and walls made of artificial bone could be easier to design and [u]build than conventional structures, and already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, for showing how their idea would work.
the coloured part starting with "who say .....than conventional structures"...actually this whole part is acting as a modifier and it is modifying a pair of architects.
now good thing with modifier is that if you remove the modifier from the sentence then also sentence must make sense.
now lets remove this modifier and hence resulting sentence will become like this:
A pair of architects in Britain and already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, for showing how their idea would work.
now reading the sentence do you think does this makes sense.
the use of parallelism marker AND conveys that both side of the and should be parallel but here
A pair of architects in Britain
and
already designed a number of structures
is not parallel ALSO THERE IS NO MAIN VERB TOO IN THIS SENTENCE.
hence use of and is wrong. in the same way option B is also wrong.
again now in option D after removing the modifier the resulting sentence becomes:
A pair of architects in Britain already designed a number of structures, including a bridge,which shows how their idea would work.
now if you read the above sentence then you will find that there is no verb in the sentence for the subject "a pair of architect"
and the use of HAVE before already rectifies this error which is done in option C.
so in this case use of already is not wrong but rather highlighted already indicates that a verb is required before already.
SKM
KUDOS IF IT HELPED.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: A pair of architects in Britain, who say that [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 22:14
Zarrolou wrote:
A pair of architects in Britain, who say that giant arches, bridges, and walls made of artificial bone could be easier to design and build than conventional structures, and already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, for showing how their idea would work.

To begin with, kindly do not highlight the words in the question...thats not how its going to come in the GMAT.. you can draw attention towards the words late in the answer explanations if u want..and i think the OA is wrong..."a pair" is a collective noun and hence singular not plural...so the answer should have "has" and not "have"..
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1554 [0], given: 248

Re: A pair of architects in Britain, who say that giant arches, [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 02:23
Expert's post
Now on to sub-verb agreement: For the argument that the subject is the singular a pair, May I ask to read the entire text and look for further clues( especially in the non-underlined part) as to whether the subject is singular or plural. This kind of error is easy meat for GMAT, for many jumps to wrong conclusions with just a casual glance

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 567 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A pair of architects in Britain, who say that [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 22:52
Zarrolou wrote:

thanks

SKM

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment

Director
Director

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A pair of architects in Britain, who say that [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 23:22
Zarrolou wrote:
Before answering I just want to point out that someone must have deleted the original question, because my post is the answer, not the question!

Usage Note: The noun pair can be followed by a singular or plural verb. The singular is always used when pair denotes the set taken as a single entity: This pair of shoes is on sale. A plural verb is used when the members are considered as individuals: The pair are working more harmoniously now. After a number other than one, pair itself can be either singular or plural, but the plural is now more common: She bought six pairs (or pair) of stockings.

This should carify, let me know

Hi,

sorry mate but not preety clear as when i am unable to distinguish when it is acting as a set and when acting as a individual...but if possible can please give some more examples....

but thanks...

although daagh explanation i got preety clear...it was the catch in the non underlined portion...

thanks to both of you

SKM

Director
Director

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A pair of architects in Britain, who say that [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 00:53
Zarrolou wrote:
shaileshmishra wrote:

thanks

SKM

hi Zarrolou and daagh,
I think pair goes singular only when we talk about items that consist of both things. What I'm trying to say is that if we say a pair of socks or shoes or lenses then both things form whatever we're talking about. A pair of architects doesn't form any such thing.

hope i am correct...
please suggest

SKM

Director
Director

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A pair of architects in Britain, who say that [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 01:18
Zarrolou wrote:
shaileshmishra wrote:
Hi,

but thanks...

thanks to both of you

SKM

This is beyond the question.

The usage of pair is not 100% clear, I checked a number of sites and a Rule for its usage it's not unanimous.
Having said so I think that my previous post should be a good rule:

"The singular is always used when pair denotes the set taken as a single entity". No doubt here, "a pair of scissors" denotes a single entity and requires a "is" as verb.
"A plural verb is used when the members are considered as individuals". When you can "split" the members as in this case ("a pair of architects" is not a single set like the scissors) you can use a plural verb. However, and this is the point, in this case both is/are seem correct.

This is what I've found in many web sites. Hope this helps...

ya zarrolou.....it seems gud....let me encounter some more problem basing this....
thanks anyways...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 99

Re: A pair of architects in Britain, who say that giant arches, [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 23:13
clearly say is mentioned in non-underlined part of sentence which indicates a pair is a plural here.. Giving equal importance to non underlined part plays key role in many meaning based SC questions

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1554 [0], given: 248

Re: A pair of architects in Britain, who say that giant arches, [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 23:39
Expert's post
I only said context decides the number in certain cases. Zarrolou has gone a step ahead and elaborated on the plausible contexts. His explanation is more wholesome and focused .

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Re: A pair of architects in Britain, who say that [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 17:43
shaileshmishra wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:

thanks

SKM

Please explain why and is wrong in B and already wrong in D
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 543

Re: A pair of architects in Britain, who say that giant arches, [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 06:36

(D) also to build than conventional structures, already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, which shows ( and also is redundant)

This is a good question. The trick here read without the fluff as this sentence has a massive "who clause"

You need easier to design and build

Now the subject is a pair of architects where's the verb? if we have ", and " that starts another independent clause so you need a subject verb for that

Hence option C is best :)

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Re: A pair of architects in Britain, who say that giant arches,   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2013, 06:36