Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 07:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A person borrowed a certain sum at the rate of 20% per annum

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 02-21-2014
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 4

Re: N is a natural number having the sum of its digits as 3. [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 02:58
chiccufrazer1 wrote:
akashganga wrote:
For the sum of digits to be equal to 3 only three combinations are possible

1. 1,1,1 and 10 0s (zeroes)
2. 1,2 and 11 (zeroes)
3. 3 and 12 (zeroes)

So the answer shall be arranging a thirteen digit number with cases 1,2 and 3

1. For this case total arrangements = (3(for first digit) * 12! (for rest of the digits))/3!*10!(because 3 1s and 10 zeroes are similar)
this equals 66

2. Similarly for 2nd case arrangements = (2(again for first digit)*12!(for rest of the digits))/11!(for similar 11 zeroes)
this equals to 24

3. For this case only one arrangement is possible, hence 1

total is 66+24+1 = 91
So answer is C

DJ

hey how did you come to a conclusion that it is a combination problem?

Posted from my mobile device Image

I think the more you practice, the easier it gets to tell what kind of a problem it is.

But also the question says how many values are possible. And when we look at options, if they would have been less than 10 I would have done each and every case manually, but since they are large in number, there is no other way of doing it in short period of time. So it is a Permutation and Combination problem.

DJ
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
WE: Project Management (Retail)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 10

In the following figure find angle ACB. Given C is the poin [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 03:23
In the following figure find angle ACB. Given C is the point of contact of two circles and A, B are the points of contact of the common tangent PP1 to the two circles.
(Find figure in the attched file)
a. 60
b. 90
c. 120
d. 89
e. Cannot be determined

Source: T.I.M.E- CAT'11 Series
Attachments

untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG [ 17.06 KiB | Viewed 885 times ]

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: N is a natural number having the sum of its digits as 3. [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 03:41
wow that now makes sense..we are really not supposed to solve for large numbers manually but with a simple trick like combination..i was really confused..thanks

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 469

Kudos [?]: 1852 [0], given: 29

Re: In the following figure find angle ACB. Given C is the poin [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 10:29
Expert's post
pariearth wrote:
In the following figure find angle ACB. Given C is the point of contact of two circles and A, B are the points of contact of the common tangent PP1 to the two circles.
(A) 60
(B) 90
(C) 120
(D) 89
(E) Cannot be determined

Dear Pariearth

This is a very hard Geometry problem, much harder than you will see on the GMAT. I'm pretty good with Geometry, and it took me several minutes to puzzle out this particular problem.
Attachment:
tangent circles tangent to line.JPG
tangent circles tangent to line.JPG [ 26.62 KiB | Viewed 868 times ]

In the diagram above, D and E are centers of the circle. Of course, AD = CD, so ACD is an isosceles triangle, and similarly, CE = BE, so BCE is an isosceles triangle as well. We will need Mr. Euclid's remarkable theorem, the Isosceles Triangle Theorem.

Let angle DAC = p, and let the complement of p be q ----> p + q = 90, and 2p + 2q = 180.

In triangle ACD, by the Isosceles Triangle Theorem, angle DAC = angle ACD = p, and because the three angles of triangle ACD must sum to 180, we know angle D = 180 - 2p = 2q. The angles of triangle ACD are p & p & (2q).

Now, look at angle E. Segments AD and BE are parallel (they are both perpendicular to line AB, and perpendicular to the same thing means they're parallel). Because AD // BE, angles D & E are same side interior angles, which must be supplementary. Since angle D = (2q), angle E = (2p).

We know angle (BCE) = angle (CBE), again by the ITT. Because the three angles of triangle BCE must sum to 180, we can deduce that angle (BCE) = angle (CBE) = q. The angles of triangle BCE are q & q & (2p).

Now, look at the three angles at point C. The three angles form a straight line, so their sum must be 180.

(angle ACD) + (angle ACB) + (angle BCE) = 180

p + (angle ACB) + q = 180

(angle ACB) + (p + q) = 180

(angle ACB) + 90 = 180

(angle ACB) = 90

Answer = B

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Re: In the following figure find angle ACB. Given C is the poin [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 02:50
Dear Mike

May be this problem is not the "GMAT" type but the following solution is less time consuming-

We draw QO which is a common tangent to both the circles (as in attached figure). Now, AQ=QC & BQ= QC (tangents from an external point of a circle are equal.
Let angle CAB = x & CBA=y
therefore, angle ACQ = x & BCQ = y
now, ACB+CAB+CBA=180 this implies,
(x+y)+ x + y = 180
i.e., x+y = 90 or angle ACB= 90

hope you find this helpful.

- Pari :)
Attachments

Solution fig..pdf [81.45 KiB]
Downloaded 24 times

To download please login or register as a user

Intern
Intern

In the figure below, AB, BC, BD & AC are chords of a circle. [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 22:12
In the figure below, AB, BC, BD & AC are chords of a circle.

The angle bisectors of \angleCBD & BCA intersect at E. EF is perpendicular to EC. If \angle CAB = 20^{\circ} and \angle BEF = \angle ABD, then find\angle ACD.

a. 30^{\circ}
b. 35^{\circ}
c. 40^{\circ}
d. 25^{\circ}
e. None of these

Sourece: T.I.M.E. CAT'11 Series
Attachments

untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG [ 27.48 KiB | Viewed 1081 times ]

Intern
Intern

A group consists of m equally efficient workers. A piece of [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 22:14
A group consists of m equally efficient workers. A piece of work was started by one of them. The p^th worker (where 2\leqp \leq m) joined the work (p - 1)x days after the (p-1)^th worker joined. The work was completed in mx days after the m^th worker joined. The 1^st worker received a share of $5500 out of the total $38500 paid to the group for completing the work. Find m.

a. 9
b. 10
c. 11
d. 22
e. 23

Source - T.I.M.E CAT'11 Series
Intern
Intern

A person invested a sum of $91.30. In how many years will th [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 22:26
A person invested a sum of $91.30. In how many years will the sum become $5000, if it is compounded every moment at the rate of 100% per annum? (given e = 2.72)

a. 2
b. 4.5
c. 6
d. 1
e. 4

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1189

Kudos [?]: 3174 [0], given: 178

Re: A shopkeeper mixes three varieties of rice costing Rs.10, Rs [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 23:50
Expert's post
pariearth wrote:
A shopkeeper mixes three varieties of rice costing Rs.10, Rs.12 and Rs.17 per Kilogram. Which of the following represents the ratio in which the three varieties are mixed, if the shopkeeper makes a profit of 20% by selling the miture at Rs.15.60 per kilogram?

a. 9:14:36
b. 11:14:25
c. 14:36:43
d. 2:6:3
e. None of the above

At first, we calculate the CP of mixture. CP = [SP/(100+% profit)]*100 = 15.60*100/120 = 13/-.

Now, look at the cost prices of 3 varieties of rices. These CPs are 10, 12, and 17. The mixture CP=13 is closest to II variety of rice (12). [Concept of weighted average]
We can infer that among all 3 varieties, II variety ratio would be highest. Clearly, options A, B, & C are eliminated, because in all 3 options III variety ratio is highest. So the answer would be either D or E. Let's try with option D.

As per option D. CP of mixture would be.. =(2*10+6*12*3*17)/(2+6+3) = 13. It means option D is the correct answer. :)

For more on weighted average, pl. attempt these questions.
what-you-choose-is-what-you-weigh-143895.html
a-fresh-tricky-ta-dataset-on-weighted-average-146116.html

-Shalabh

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern

The figure below shows the network connecting cities A, B, C [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 03:13
The figure below shows the network connecting cities A, B, C, D, E & F. The arrows indicate permissible direction of travel. What is the number of distinct paths from A to F?

a. 9
b. 10
c. 11
d. 12
e. 8

Source - T.I.M.E. CAT'11 Series
Attachments

Network.jpg
Network.jpg [ 85.71 KiB | Viewed 912 times ]

Last edited by pariearth on 22 Jan 2013, 03:26, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: A person borrowed a certain sum at the rate of 20% per annum [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 03:35
hey hw many questions do we actually have here?

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1031

Kudos [?]: 4493 [0], given: 162

Re: The figure below shows the network connecting cities A, B, C [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 19:47
Expert's post
pariearth wrote:
The figure below shows the network connecting cities A, B, C, D, E & F. The arrows indicate permissible direction of travel. What is the number of distinct paths from A to F?

a. 9
b. 10
c. 11
d. 12
e. 8

Source - T.I.M.E. CAT'11 Series

What about the lines which have no arrows? Are both directions permissible there?

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: The figure below shows the network connecting cities A, B, C [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 03:08
[quote="VeritasPrepKarishmaWhat about the lines which have no arrows? Are both directions permissible there?[/quote]

Sorry there was a technical problem...the correct figure for this question is uploaded again.
Intern
Intern

Re: A person borrowed a certain sum at the rate of 20% per annum [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 03:28
chiccufrazer1 wrote:
hey hw many questions do we actually have here?

Hy,
A new question is added here daily...

-Pari

Last edited by pariearth on 22 Jan 2013, 03:34, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 03:33
In a three digit number, the difference between its hundreds digit and its tens digit is equal to the difference between its tens digit and its units digit. Also the sum of the digits is 9. How many numbers are possible which satisfy the given condition?

a. 6
b. 7
c. 8
d. 9
f. 10

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1031

Kudos [?]: 4493 [0], given: 162

Re: In the following figure find angle ACB. Given C is the poin [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 04:54
Expert's post
pariearth wrote:
a. 60
b. 90
c. 120
d. 89
e. Cannot be determined

Source: T.I.M.E- CAT'11 Series

As you have mentioned, this question is CAT relevant. The study material of CAT and that of GMAT are quite different. Although basic concepts are the same, it is not advisable to use CAT material for GMAT because it complicates things for no reason. There are a ton of things you need to 'know' for CAT which you don't need for GMAT. Your starting point in a CAT question is much ahead of your starting point in a GMAT question. Hence, this question isn't very relevant as far as GMAT is concerned.

Nevertheless, if you do get something like this, remember that you can solve by making the diagram according to your needs in PS questions.
Make the two circles equal so that you can easily see the required angle. Mind you, GMAT doesn't have 'cannot be determined' as an option.

Attachment:
Ques3.jpg
Ques3.jpg [ 8.87 KiB | Viewed 893 times ]

You can see that it is an isosceles triangle with the ratio of the sides as \sqrt{2}R:\sqrt{2}R:2R i.e. 1:1:\sqrt{2}. Hence it must be a right triangle and the required angle must be 90 degrees.

If the required angle is 90 in this case, it will be 90 no matter how you draw the diagram.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

A father starts from home at 3:00p.m. to pick his son from s [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 03:33
A father starts from home at 3:00p.m. to pick his son from school at 4:00p.m. One day the school got over early, at 3:00p.m. The son started walking towards home. He met his father on the way and both returned home 15 minutes earlier than the usual time. If the speed of the father is 35 km per hour, find the speed of the son (in km/hr).

a. 4
b. 5
c. 6
d. 7
e. 8

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Intern
Intern

Re: In the following figure find angle ACB. Given C is the poin [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 04:47
[quote="VeritasPrepKarishma
As you have mentioned, this question is CAT relevant. The study material of CAT and that of GMAT are quite different. Although basic concepts are the same, it is not advisable to use CAT material for GMAT because it complicates things for no reason. There are a ton of things you need to 'know' for CAT which you don't need for GMAT. Your starting point in a CAT question is much ahead of your starting point in a GMAT question. Hence, this question isn't very relevant as far as GMAT is concerned.[/quote]

Dear Karishma,
I do agree with you on the above fact and I would be very thankful to you if you could give a comparision between the Verbal section of GMAT & CAT as well as the IR section of GMAT with DI section of CAT. I am particularly tensned about the IR section. Since I have given CAT once, I know its reasoning section is highly tricky and tough. So do I need to put in the same level of effort for IR section??
Thanks in advance...
-Pari
Intern
Intern

Re: In the following figure find angle ACB. Given C is the poin [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 21:40
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
The two tests are not very comparable but I can give you my thoughts.

Verbal Comparison -
RC is similar in both the tests though I feel GMAT RCs are easier on average.
GMAT has CR which is not there in CAT. It's very logical and easy to get through using reasoning skills.
The SC section is tougher in GMAT than any section that tests grammar in CAT.

The IR section of GMAT is very new and hence untested. The questions will not be very tough. Once you get the hang of what to do in them, they should be fairly easy - certainly much easier than some DI questions that CAT can throw at you. Try some IR sample questions here: http://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/integra ... questions/

The point is, GMAT needs logic and reasoning. If your concepts are clear, there is no reason you wouldn't be able to figure the questions. CAT is a much harder test since you need to 'know' a lot of things.

Thanks a ton!! really helpful.......
Intern
Intern

Re: A person borrowed a certain sum at the rate of 20% per annum [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 02:58
Find the area of a regular pentagon whose side is 20 cm, given Cot {36}[/deg]= 1.376.

a. 542 sq.cm
b. 544 sq.cm
c. 688 sq.cm
d. 764 sq.cm
e. 866 sq.cm
Re: A person borrowed a certain sum at the rate of 20% per annum   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2013, 02:58