Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A physician who is too thorough in conducting a medical

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 5

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 13:37
mirzohidjon wrote:
I do not know which one to choose,

I am hesitant to pick C because, inability by patients to judge the feel of thoroughness does not mean that they will not feel discomfort or extra expense. It is quite possible that even they do not know whether check up is through or not, extra touching them and extra look up will still cause discomfort and expenses...

Which one is OA?
I am hesitant to pick any choice.

choose B :)

OA please?

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 19:40
To all the members,
Please provide the OA in reasonable time. Otherwise it is frustrating to spend effort without knowing the actual answer.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 21:13
tarun wrote:
To all the members,
Please provide the OA in reasonable time. Otherwise it is frustrating to spend effort without knowing the actual answer.

You are so right Tarun .. This is a problem with almost all the posts from Noboru. We can request moderators to pay attention to such cases ..
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 6

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 17:36
A for me.
1 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 106 [1] , given: 2

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 19:06
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

actually, none of the five choices successfully weaken the argument. The author's conclusion is that you shouldn't go for a medical check up if you don't feel ill. (Or, you should only go for a medical checkup if you do feel ill). In order to weaken an argument, we need to find a chocie that renders this conclusion less likely to be true....none of the five choices do that job.

Choice A comes close but we don't know whether the patients in choice A feel ill or not. (We know that they are in the early stages of their disease but that doesn't mean that they don't feel ill).

Choice B--the passage doesn't give us enough information to judge what impact reduced patient-time has. It simply ignores the issue of whether patients who feel okay should go for a medical checkup. Outside the scope.

Similarly, choices C and D are clearly outside the scope.

Choice E doesn't weaken the argument. The author discusses physicians who aren't thorough enough and those who are too thorough. This certainly doesn't mean that the author thinks no physicians get it just right. IF choice E said "ALL physicians exercise exactly the right degree of thoroughness..." THEN it would be a weakener. (Strategy aside: "extreme" choices can easily be correct in strengthen/weaken questions).

Either a) the source of this question is bad or else b) the original poster failed to correctly (or completely) transcribe the passage or one or more of the answer choices. (The fact that there is no correct answer among the five choices posted is also why there is so much controversy over which choice is correct. Remember, as everywhere else in the GMAT, in CR, there is ONE correct answer that is categorically distinct from the four wrong answers. And each of the four wrong answers is wrong for identifiable reasons...there's one right and four rotten answers).

Kaplan Teacher in Toronto
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 2

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 03:18
OA is A.

For me, if there is any possibility that having a medical checkup is wise (according to A, it is), that weakens the argument both when the patient is ill and when it´s not.
Hope that helped.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 03:20
sandeepuc wrote:
tarun wrote:
To all the members,

You are so right Tarun .. This is a problem with almost all the posts from Noboru. We can request moderators to pay attention to such cases ..

I think that I have posted OA in all my posts, but if not, just let me know in I'll do it.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 05:00
noboru wrote:
OA is A.

For me, if there is any possibility that having a medical checkup is wise (according to A, it is), that weakens the argument both when the patient is ill and when it´s not.
Hope that helped.

Still not convinced with OA.

Some one please help or let me know why not B

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 05:02
noboru wrote:
sandeepuc wrote:
tarun wrote:
To all the members,

I think that I have posted OA in all my posts, but if not, just let me know in I'll do it.

Hi,

No one is pointing on you, whether you posted the OA or not.
Its being said for every one, including me/you and all other members.

Kaplan GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 2

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 06:35
noboru wrote:
OA is A.

Hope that helped.

Noboru,

are you quite certain that you've posted the argument and each answer choice correctly and entirely? If so, then what is the original source of this question? As I wrote above, none of the choices, as posted, are correct.

Because the conclusion is:

Quote:
Therefore, it is generally unwise for patients to have medical checkups when they do not feel ill.

choice A cannot possibly weaken unless we assume that early stage disease = not feeling ill.

...And of course, on the GMAT, you will never have to make any assumptions in order to justify the correct answer. If one truly feels choice A is correct, one should explain how it is correct even though it doesn't relate to the conclusion!

Quote:

I explained why choice B is incorrect in my post above--if you seek further elaboration, then let me know.

Kaplan Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 06:49
Quote:

I explained why choice B is incorrect in my post above--if you seek further elaboration, then let me know.[/quote]

Gottcha...

But still I didn;t like the question. If B goes out, D/E are same and can be easily ruled out, remaining b/w A & C. I'll choose A only.

But this doesn;t make sense.

Source please?

1 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 06:58
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
But this doesn;t make sense.

Exactly!

Which is why I'm saying that there is either a transcription error (somewhere--either from original source to secondary source or else from source to poster) or else the question is bad.

In this case, I think it's the former because this question sure does sound familiar to me...I think it may be an LSAT question that I've encountered (I teach LSAT as well).

Hopefully, noboru will shed some light here. Noboru, where exactly did you get this question from, and again, are you quite certain you've transribed accurately.

Kaplan Reviews

Last edited by Testluv on 29 Jun 2010, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 07:03
Testluv wrote:

Hopefully, noboru will shed some light here.

Ya, I'm waiting for reply from "noboru"

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 14

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 10:05
IMO A

SVP
SVP

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 13:54
Hi all,

This is a LSAT question. Actually is part of a two question passage.
For me, A weakens the argument because it states that having a checkup it is sometimes good.

Here it is again, Copy and Pasted directly from the exam:

SECTION IV
Time 35 minutes 25 Questions
Directions: The questions in this section are based on the reasoning contained in brief statements or passages...
Questions 1-2
A physician who is too thorough in conducting a medical checkup is likely to subject the patient to the discomfort and expense of unnecessary tests. One who is not thorough enough is likely to miss some serious problem and therefore give the patient a false sense of security. It is difficult for physicians to judge exactly how thorough they should be. Therefore, it is generally unwise for patients to have medical checkups when they do not feel ill.
1. Which one of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument in the passage?
(A) Some serious diseases in their early stages have symptoms that physicians can readily detect.
(B) Under the pressure of reduced reimbursements, physicians have been reducing the average amount of time they spend on each medical checkup.
(C) Patients not medically trained are unable to judge foe themselves what degree of thoroughness is appropriate for physicians in conducting medical checkups.
(D) Many people are financially unable to afford regular medical checkups.
(E) Some physicians sometimes exercise exactly the right degree of thoroughness in performing a medical checkup.

2. Which one of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the conclusion in the passage?
(A) Not all medical tests entail significant discomfort.
(B) Sometimes unnecessary medical tests cause healthy people to become ill.
(C) Some patients refuse to accept a physician’s assurance that the patient is healthy.
(D) The more complete the series of tests performed in a medical checkup, the more likely it is that a rare disease, if present, will be discovered.
(E) Physicians can eliminate the need to order certain tests by carefully questioning patients and rejecting some possibilities on that basis.

1. OA A
2. OA B

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

1 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 14:04
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks for that noboru. Because you posed the question so fully, and because it is LSAT, I was able to use Kaplan's resources to locate the question. Although the source is LSAT, you can't have copied and pasted directly from the exam because LSAT is a paper-and-pencil test. So you must have gotten it from a secondary source which, in turn, got it from the LSAT. I thought this question looked familiar. Your source mistranscribed choice A.

Choice A actually reads:

Quote:
Some serious diseases in their early stages have symptoms that physicians can readily detect, although patients are not aware of any problem.

The part in bold was the part that was missing from your original post and, needless to say, it makes a HUGE difference. Now (and only now), do we know that the patients in choice A DID NOT FEEL ILL.

The official source is: LSAT, Preptest 10, Section 4, Question 1.

I guess this is a good reminder of being careful in trusting internet sources even if they purport to provide official questions!

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 17:40
IMO A
Conclusion is that regular checkups are not required as physicians may not be thorough
to weaken the argument A states that physicians can detect certain diseases (without being thorough) B,C,D do not weaken the argument and E is limited in scope

What is the OA
Re: physician who is too thorough   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2010, 17:40